1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Use of a broken Dell All-in-One?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nickbr95, 22 May 2012.

1. nickbr95

nickbr95 What's a Dremel?

When I used to live in the states, I bought a Dell Studio One 19 All-in-One desktop. I moved to Brazil and a few months after using it it stopped working. I took it to many shops to see if anyone would fix it, but everyone says that it's a motherboard problem and I'll waste too much money trying to fix it.

I'm going to use its hard drive which is loaded of family photos, and probably its processor which is an E7500. I wanted to know if there are any other parts inside that I can use and if there was a way I could use it as a monitor only, no need of the touchscreen possibilities, if it makes a difference. Would that be too hard, considering I know the very basic of computers (which I doubt helps much). If it has no use I'm going to hammer that crap.

Thanks for the advice and opinions.

2. fuus

fuus Misses Rep Bombs

I have absolutly no idea of the use of the monitor,
    HOWEVER I can vouch for the fun of hammering things!

3. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

Does it have any warranty left? Have you tried contacting Dell Brazil? If either of those avenues are unsuccessful, you could sell it as repair parts. Someone else might be able to make use of it if they have some other part failure, or perhaps for a mod project.

4. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

RAM, Processor, cooler, Hard Drive, any graphics card (doubtful)

Although an E7500 is somewhat old.

About the monitor, there is a chance you can use it if the connection it uses is standard.

5. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

Try and mod a raspberry pi inside it?

6. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Contact dell for a repair.

Nice little machine.

7. nickbr95

nickbr95 What's a Dremel?

I know the processor is very old, but a lot of people still use it. Hell, I know a crap load of people who still use computers with the old Intel Celeron. I didn't know about that rapsberry pi, but I just took a look. It seems pretty cool but I have no use for that.

I think my mother tried once to contact Dell Support Brazil, was unsuccessful, but that was about 8 months ago. I'll check if it still has its warranty and try to give a call later these days.

I was thinking of doing some kind of mod to it, but I really don't know much about computers. Do you think it would be a good learning experience?

8. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Late to the party, I know.

Don't get too hung up about the CPU - it's perfectly fine for a day to day PC (and they overclock like crazy, but not inside a DELL).

I'd seriously look at getting this repaired, especially if it has any warranty left - it'll be difficult to do it yourself though - Dell are notorious for using proprietary motherboards, that cannot be replaced with a standard board.

Failing that - flog it for spares/repairs on the bay. A multi-touch interface screen should fetch a pretty penny.