1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Decent 1150 socket board for SLI?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Invictus., 9 Jun 2015.

1. Invictus.

Invictus. Minimodder

Hi there,

A guy at work has manged to get a refund from MSI for his Gaming 9 ACK as when SLI'ing his 2 980s with it the top card hits 90+ after ~15 mins of gaming.

So he's currently on the look out for a decent 1150 board that has enough room between the PCIe ports for SLI'ing without too many issues, budget wise he's looking at anything up to £300.

His ideals he said is 3 PCIe lanes with 8x (2 x 980's + revodrive) whilst having the room to breathe for both cards which looking seems pretty hard to find.

Does anyone here have any recommendations for decent Sli boards? Looking the Asus ROG range seem to meet the decent room for the 2 cards but won't allow the revo etc.

2. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

What about something like the GIGABYTE Z97 SOC Force or the ASRock Z97 OC Formula? I have the OCF and it's a bloody brilliant board. Four PCI-E lanes too, like the SOC.

Spending that much on an 1150 board is just silly. You could go to X99 for that.

3. Invictus.

Invictus. Minimodder

Yeah I'm aware that you can get a high end X99 board for that price, and for a bit more a bundled deal of CPU+board etc. but he said right now he can't afford to go full x99 etc

thanks for the recommendations however

4. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

How about the Asus Extreme IV Black Edition ? Its a nice spacious board and is feature rich.

I bought one for a similar reason but ive decided on a different direction now so (shameless plug) il be selling mine in the MP.

5. TheMadDutchDude

The Rampage is the wrong socket for a start... ;)

6. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

Was waiting for that. I only posted because someone above mentioned switching sockets to x99, which the op ruled out for cost reasons. Hence my suggestion.

7. TheMadDutchDude

Quite right, I mentioned it. However, if he won't switch to X99, why would he switch to X79 which is a dead platform in terms of upgrade paths? He'd still have to buy a "new" CPU for it, so that would make even less sense. :D