1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HTPC Raspberry Pi 2 + Mount WD Passport Ultra

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by MiNiMaL_FuSS, 22 Jul 2015.

1. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

Hi,

I've got a Raspberry Pi 2 running the latest version of Openelec (Kodi).

Currently I stream my media from main system via a network hub to the Pi.

I've just bought a WD 2TB Passport Ultra and intend to put all my media on that and simply connect it via USB.

When I plug the WD drive in the Pi detects it but I can only view "WD Unlocker" which I assume is a hidden partition from WD with their security software on it. The Pi doesn't seem to mount the primary partition and allow me access to my media folders.

Now I've googled the issue, but mostly find advice on mounting the drive to the Pi can boot from it, I'm not interested in that, I just want to be able to access the folders and media on the drive.

A word of warning, while I've played directly with the config file on the Micro-SD card to overclock the pi and to increase the power to the USB ports I have never SSH into the pi and haven't the foggiest how to! So any solutions that involve that will need to be an idiots guide please :D

2. bionicgeekgrrl

bionicgeekgrrl Minimodder

You might need to format it to remove the WD stuff.

A quick google suggests that it is to do with the drives hardware encryption. Did you turn this on when using the drive under windows? you might need to use software on windows to remove it to access the correct partition.

There may well also be a way to access the right partition by mounting it, which is what the advice your searching came up with. When you plug in the drive, Linux is mounting it for you automatically.