1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Laptop screen problem

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Hardware150, 21 Jul 2013.

1. Hardware150

Hardware150 Minimodder

Hi Bit-Tech

Im looking for some advice in regards to my laptop's screen. The laptop works fine when hooked up to a monitor, but the screen won't display anything. I'm pretty confident the actual screen itself is fine, the last time it worked it displayed a very dull BIOS, but next time i booted it was completely black.

Any easy fixes or wires i can replace? Or would it be the case of getting a new screen or laptop?

Thanks in Advance

2. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

do you know what sort of backlight it has, could be the inverter, backlight or cable.

the fact you could see bios screen but very dark suggest either inverter or backlight, if it is the backlight, its easier to change the screen, if inverter, that's even easier.

when I get them in, after checking cables the next thing I try is an inverter, if that doesn't work, then the screen.

you can get replacement backlights, but they are a pain in the arse to change, and can bleed light due to not sealing the same as when originally built.

3. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Remember reading somewhere that shining a torch on the screen would show if it's just the backlight/inverter. It's an easy test to diagnose the problem at least!

4. droyden

droyden What's a Dremel?

What kind of laptop is it?
    The other thing it could be is the vga cable, but it wouldnt normally show a dull screen. As above it sounds more like the inverter

5. Gunnzie

Gunnzie What's a Dremel?

If it does turn out to be the screen, they are pretty cheap to replace and very easy to fit. I can help out if needed.

6. herbs

herbs Nobody but us chickens

It's probably the back light as others have said but you could try this fix the first answer.