1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News French government to disconnect 60 file sharers

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 7 Oct 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

sounds incredibly fair and reasonable

3. Bede

Bede Minimodder

The sooner this happens in England the better. Children need to know that digital and intellectual theft is the same as physical theft.

4. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

I like how you say this as if it's only children that download copyrighted torrents.

5. Teh Noob Slayer

Teh Noob Slayer What's a Dremel?

Yes, received the third warning. Internet is going to be cut today. Those French government wan

6. Teh Noob Slayer

Teh Noob Slayer What's a Dremel?

seriously though:

Should the government be snooping on everything you do online?
    If they know where you have been going can't they just block access?

7. MjFrosty

MjFrosty Minimodder

It is a bit of a liberty, yeah. That doesn't excuse piracy though. It's just one of those situations in life which will never have a diplomatic solution. As long as people can do it freely, they will.

I'm still an avid PC gamer and as such, morals aside I'd rather not kill off my own hobby by stealing from from peoples lively hoods - which is essentially what you are doing, and in some cases putting people out of their jobs.

Bit *untish really! Pack it in..

Also, worth noting that some ISPs in the UK do enforce this. AOL have fined and disconnected a number of users for pirating TV and movie contented owned by Time Warner.

Last edited: 7 Oct 2011
  8. Brooxy

Brooxy Loser of the Game

I'd like to know how the french government are distinguishing between an illigal torrent and a legal torrent. If somebody is downloading Linux Distros / Freeware via a torrent (or even P2P), are they going to get in the poo for it?

9. devilxc

devilxc Biding my time...

When laws reflect about what Piracy actually is in the modern world then this sort of enforcement becomes more understandable. Not morally correct but with a right wing government, understandable.

Two points;

Buying a CD / DVD and sending it to a friend is fine. Buying a digital copy of a song / film and sending to a friend is illegal!? That's not right.

Secondly, the Government could put GPS in every car and monitor the speeds. Three times over the limit and you're banned from driving. Fair by law but morally wrong.

Just because the media are against piracy doesn't mean you're not allowed to think about it.

10. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

Actually buying a cd then lending it to a friend is illegal under most T&C it's just outside of tying cd to account of some sort as most pc games do it's impossible to enforce.

Agree on the second point though. It's the worrying implication that the French Government has been monitoring all net traffic by it's citizens.

11. Ced-G60

Ced-G60 What's a Dremel?

This news is kind of missing half the fact sadly. Am French citizen. Those people are not accused of illegal download but for not taking the necessary step to secure their Internet connection to avoid illegal download. Which is a lot different. Am sure everyone her can pretend to have is wifi secure and can guaranty is IP addresses won't be used some other way right ? (Ever hear of Seek**** ?).

I won't argue about the legal part or illegal part. You should know that in France, pretty much all legal material are protected with DRM and braking such protection is again the law. On the other side, we are paying a tax on every media (CD,DVD HDD, GPS,Phone, etc) for personal copy. Which can not be done because everything is under DRM. Ironic won't you say ?

The problem with download is not the actual doing, but the way the economy of the system is made. Why should we have to wait 1 or 2 years to see the next season of your favorite TV show ? You can get it free instantly. Go tell people not to do it after that. I'll say fine, but you have be able to buy it legally fast.

Anyways, this French law is full of it. It won't go anywhere simply because is not applicable. You will probably never see anyone cut from the net. But that does not stop them from spending those 12 millions euro of annual budget. We sure can spare this atm. ;)

Deders likes this.
  12. Evildead666

Evildead666 What's a Dremel?

Multi-national ACTA will be here soon for all those that feel left out ;)

13. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

and this, ladies and gentlemen, is where the VPN tunnelling begins!

14. greypilgers

greypilgers What's a Dremel?

Slightly off topic, but not sure i agree with devilxc - if they put a black box in your car and you're caught going over the speed limit three times and banned, it's not morally wrong. The driver is morally wrong for breaking a clear law. I fail to see how you could feel sorry for someone who knows something is not correct, but then is caught for doing it and cries foul.

Copying without consent is still copying without consent. Doesn't matter whether it's a program or not.

15. TWeaK

TWeaK Minimodder

While the things you mentioned are the same, it is not theft these people are accused of, but copywrite infringement, which is different.

Similar, but different.

Wasn't there a load of controversy surrounding the company the French government contracted and their practice in collecting data? I'm surprised this farce has been allowed to continue so far. However, I do hope that it carries on, and that it goes further with at least some of the 60 people taking the French government to the European courts, so that this ridiculous type of law can finally be put to rest.

AstralWanderer likes this.
  16. drjaydee

drjaydee What's a Dremel?

i think he means that the monitoring of people's cars locations is morally wrong, even though it would catch and deter speeding

17. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

The main issue I have with this type of crap is the complete lack of judicial oversight. Very little chance to challenge or even see the evidence against you, the "guilty unless proven innocent" stance and the way that media companies can short-circuit the legal process for their own ends. Not to mention that this amounts to collective punishment of an entire household for the actions of one person.

The EU has also ruled that member states should not implement disconnections as a punishment as this is considered to be a disproportionate response. France's law is therefore in direct contravention to the EU. All that's needed now is someone to take the government to court - this law doesn't have a leg to stand on.

18. dark_avenger

dark_avenger Minimodder

And what happens when some idiot leaves his/her wifi unsecured and has there net disconnect from other people downloading on it?

Fair enough they should know better but a lot of people don't....

19. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

Or even worse, the people who have WEP enabled on their router and believe they are secure.

20. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Not in EU for now. At least for something EU is good. For those who don't know what i am talking about - a delegate from EU was creating ACTA, but no one from EU commission can sign it because ACTA is talking about stuff not delegated to EU from national parliaments. So EU needs a 100% support from national parliaments to be able to sign it - which will take some time to do even if all of them want to do it.

3lusive likes this.
Tags: Add Tags