1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GTX295 - help reducing crashes please!

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by IwantAbetterPC, 2 Sep 2011.

1. IwantAbetterPC

IwantAbetterPC What's a Dremel?

Dear all,

My trusty GTX 295 is running two GPU console clients, but I can't seem to get it to stay up and stable for more than 4 days at a time - it's in a Dell workstation who's PSU isn't really up to the job, so it keeps dying through power starvation.

Can someone help me with the parameters I need to tweak in the clients to get them to use less GPU and hence less power - it's been so long since I set them up I can't remember the config strings.

I'd rather have the machine up and running 24X7 at 80% than have 4 days on at 100% and then several weeks off beacuse I'm not in the office to restart it.

Thanks in advance!

Craig...

2. srgtherasta

srgtherasta Minimodder

What about down clocking the card abit if the psu's not up to the job?

3. Tattysnuc

Tattysnuc Thinking about which mod to do 1st.

^This^

The only thing that'll affect the stability IMO are the clocks and the driver version

The rest are settings to get the card folding ASSUMING that you have force g80 etc set up. You have the card folding so it sounds like a stability issue, unless you have CCPU folding that's only kicking in every 4 days.

Have you gone through the system logs at the time of the crash to see if there's a common event?

I've had lots of crashes since moving to 280.XX drivers, so I'm playing around with my clocks at the moment. Backed off the cpu to 650 from 666, with the shader at 1500 and the memory at 1250. If that's not enough (the card DEFINITELY used to fold 24/7 at those settings) then I'll put the settings back to where they were and then roll back to 276.XX drivers.

Incidentally, when you say crashed, how does that manifest? On mine the display driver appears to crash, and then the gpu(s) continue to fold but only at ~40% load...

4. IwantAbetterPC

Thanks for this guys.

When I say crash, I mean the whole box is powered off and in standby mode which needs a hard power-off and power-on again.

There is no CPU client running, as that killed the box instantly before :)

I have the settings in the client set as you suggested with the force G80 etc, so I think I''ll try and underclock the cpu to see if that reduces the load and increases the stability.

Will report back when (if!) I manage to underclock it OK - I have Rivatuner running, so will mess about in it. The drivers haven't been updated for yonks!

Thanks again!

Craig...

5. Leroyingo

Leroyingo What's a Dremel?

So how many watts is the power supply?

6. Tattysnuc

How'd you get on? My GTX 295 has recently started to play up, and in searching Google, your question came top of the google list. I'm going to try rolling back my display driver to something previous. Can anyone confirm their driver version they are using for folding on their GTX 295 on Win 7 Premium, on a sandybridge board?

My symptoms are that the GPU usage drops from 100 to 40 ish percent usage and looks like it's still folding according to the client....

7. Leroyingo

Leroyingo What's a Dremel?

Tattysnuc, Check the nividia control panel. The power management mode- change it to maximum performance (under 3d settings). When set to adaptive it can stop the GPU from running at full load all the time.

Tattysnuc likes this.
  8. Tattysnuc

I'll check it out tonight. Thx!

+1rep

9. Deders

Deders Modder

How's the airflow? are things getting too hot running 2 GPU's constantly for 4 days?

10. IwantAbetterPC

Chaps,

thanks for all this - I may be tempting fate here, but I used RivaTuner to underclock it to 500Mhz and it seems to be stable and doing 14,500 ppd instead of a peak of around 15,500, so I'll gladly take a points drop in favour of longer periods of stability, as I'm only in the office every 6 weeks at present. In terms of cooling, it's a Dell workstation, so I have the case cracked in half to allow as much fresh air in to the card fan as possible, as it's a bit of a pig for airflow when it's closed. The PSU is an integral unit from Dell, built into the base, no idea what power output it is - probably not that high as it only powered a couple of single core Xeons (it is old as per my avatar!) so probably 500W if it's lucky!

No doubt next time I look it'll have died on me again :)

Craig...

11. Tattysnuc

there's no power management visible in the nvidia control panel, so i looked in the general power management options. it was set to balanced, so I popped it up to full performance, and so far, so good!

12. IwantAbetterPC

Chaps,

Just to say that this is the longest period of uptime this box has had in months, so thanks for the suggestion to reduce the clocks to lower the power consumption. Didn't have nearly the adverse impact on the PPD I thought it would, in fact, it hit 18,000 points one day (not sure if that was a Stanford points backlog issue!)

Now the slow steady climb back up the top 100 again! :) Should bypass all the 10,000,000+ point retirees in about a month.

Thanks again for the help!

Craig...

13. Tattysnuc

Excellent news for Team Bit-tech! Nine too has been unhindered since I switched from Balanced power schema to High Performance.

All I need to do now is find out why my 2600K's aren;t pulling in BIGADV's since coming back from holiday...

14. debs3759

debs3759 Was that a warranty I just broke?

Bigadv wu are in short supply, nobody is getting a regular supply of them. I've read a few posts about peoples ppd dropping to half what it normally is because of that.