1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking to get back into folding....

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by GeorgeStorm, 21 Nov 2011.

1. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

As above really, am hoping to get back into folding soon.
    Currently on the lookout for a hex core chip, although they seem to be incredibly rare :(
    So it looks like I'll probably just be folding on my 920 and 570, just wondering what kinda PPD we'd be talking about?

2. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

14-15k on the 570 I'd think.

Not sure on the 920. They have pretty much stopped dishing out bigadv units and as of January you will need 16 cores for bigadv.

Good to have you back on the team!

3. DocJonz

DocJonz Another CPC refugee .....

I've got a couple of i7 930's running at stock speeds - they are in my sig.
    (Note: if they are running P101xx WU's (because of the advmethods flag used) then the PPD will be lower than normal. Typically they get about 10k PPD).

4. GeorgeStorm

Hadn't kept up to date about bigadv, so, wouldla hexcore be able to cope with the new bigadv anyone know? (will be clocked to 4+)

570 is roughly what I thought.

5. One_Box

One_Box Folder of the month April 2012

Sorry George, from 16th January you will need at least 16 cores to run bigadv; PG are also halving the deadline to weed out the slowest machines.

So I'm afraid its server class kit or using a script to fool the assignment server (highly frowned upon by PG as it slows down the science).

Even one of the fastest SB-E chips will only be legal for standard SMP WUs :wallbash:

6. GeorgeStorm

That sucks :/

Will have to see then, since the only reason I was going to get a hex core was to fold, but this may be the deciding factor to me not getting one (I know I shouldn't care about the points, but I like it)