1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Folding once again

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by RedFlames, 11 Dec 2011.

1. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

I've made an intermittent return to folding, now CPU folding is fine... chugging along nicely... but seeing as folding ruined my last GPU i've been reluctant to fold on my current one [a 560ti]...

Running normal WUs the gpu hits mid 60s, but running 'advanced' WUs [unit 7620 to be specific] it's hitting mid 70s... is that normal?

it took me nearly a year to scrounge enough money to replace my last gpu so i don;t want this one to die folding... but i'd like to fold on it if i can...

Also the gpu usage is up and down like a whore's underwear when folding... on the 7620s it bounces between 100% and 0% every few seconds...

2. Tattysnuc

Tattysnuc Thinking about which mod to do 1st.

I can't say for definite, but all the work units that I have witnessed my machines processing have gone to 100% utilisation and stayed there until done. You sure your rig is stable? I've only seen similar effects when my power saving is on (PCI-Express Power saving) and as soon as I turned that off, it flat lined at 100% utilisation...

3. RedFlames

This is what i'm getting, and i have PCI-Express Power Saving turned off -

[​IMG]

4. Leroyingo

Leroyingo What's a Dremel?

Hi Redflames, good to see you back. As for your GPU, under the nvidia control panel and '3d settings' change the 'power management' from 'adaptive' to 'maximum performance'. That usual fixes the usage cycling.
    Those temps are pretty average for a gpu under full load. If its in an area you are not usually you can dial the fans up more, or underclock the GPU to put less stress on it if you are worried.

5. RedFlames

thanks both, i think i'll stick to 'normal' units on the 560ti, ppd it's about the same but its not as stressful on my GPU [or my eardrums]

[un]related: when my gpu runs flat out [moreso folding than gaming] the sound card screeches like hell, now it's onboard sound so would a dedicated card stop it?

6. DocJonz

DocJonz Another CPC refugee .....

The advmethods on GPU's at the moment does increase the temperature - it was noted by a number of people on the official forum, and I found the same so I stopped using it.

I should add that I run a number of GTX 560Ti's all at 100%, and I keep the temp in the 60's using EVGA Precision - not got any dead ones yet ......

7. Tattysnuc

Tattysnuc Thinking about which mod to do 1st.

I found that the onboard sound was completely unshielded so any other devices that gave off any interference was clearly audible over my speakers.

I have not experienced this problem since I purchased an Audigy card.