1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ATI/AMD folders REJOICE!

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by Tattysnuc, 28 Dec 2011.

1. Tattysnuc

Tattysnuc Thinking about which mod to do 1st.

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Just out of interest - what was the limitation for AMD? Client coding issue? GPU design issue?

3. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

I don't think anybody every came up with a definite reason. Personally, having worked with ATI/AMD for many years, I suspect its their very basic dev rel program at fault, whereas Nvidia gives loads of support to Stanford.

4. Tattysnuc

Tattysnuc Thinking about which mod to do 1st.

The fact that running 2 clients simultaneously improves the performance (ppd wise) implies that it's a software driven constraint, so that certainly lends weight to your experience. The article gives me a bit more faith that one day someone's going to crack this and open it up to all hardware, not just NVidia's

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

But that's what makes me so crazy though - isn't this open source? Aren't there like hundreds of thousands of people running this and millions of AMD fans out there? Yet other open source projects get tons of free man-hours thrown into them!

6. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

No, while folding is distributed, the code itself isn't open source as (I'd imagine) Stanford needs to keep a very watchful eye on the accuracy of the results, something that wouldn't be possible if 3D party coders got involved.

I'd agree with your frustration though - it's something I've communicated to AMD many times over the years, but as you know from also working with them - AMD is always strapped for resources.

7. Chicken76

Chicken76 Minimodder

Ok, but this works on the 5xx0 and 6xx0 series, with their VLIW. What about the 7970 and it's design similar to Nvidia's?