1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors What hot hatch for around £7000?

Discussion in 'General' started by mars-bar-man, 16 Apr 2013.

1. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Well people, it's new car time in a few months, and I'm looking at hot hatches.

So far I have looked at:

2007 Corsa VXR
    2006 RenaultSport Clio
    2004 Mini Cooper S

And, well, that's about it really. At the moment I'm heavily swayed by the Corsa, mostly because I know I fit in them. Any others worth thinking about?

I've got around £1k set aside to cover insurance and tax on top of the £7k for the car. I've been looking at coupe's, but being 6'6" with most of my height in my legs, these aren't really practical. BMW 1 series would be considered, but please no 3 series (I haven't got a wife, 2 kids and a dog just yet).

2. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

I personally dislike the Corsa. Not the VXR in particular, since I haven't driven one. The normal Corsa just felt rubbish and the seating position was horrid, when I drove one.

The Mini is a solid car, but the ones we get here get quite a few rattles with time. That said - they handle quite well.

The Clio is what I would probably go for.
    Or try to get your hands on a Fiat 500 Abarth... :p

3. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

Seating position in my Corsa is crapola. And the steering wheel is not adjustable, even with the seat dropped as low as it will go the wheel is still basically in my lap. And I haven't been able to make the seat comfortable for my lower back without the aid of a cushion. But my corsa is a really rubbish one, so it might be different with the better models.

4. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

The 500 is just a little too 'cutesy' for my tastes personally.

As for the Corsa, personally I felt fine in it. But it's down to personal preference in that regards I suppose.

5. Sketchee

Sketchee Suddenly, looters! Hundreds of 'em!

Alfa 147 gta, doesn't get much hotter!

6. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

About £500 over budget on the insurance sadly. I would love one of them though. Talking of Alfa's, I have been looking at the Brera, because to be frank, that car gets my dick hard.

7. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

+1 for the Alfa, provided you can handle a case of alfa-itis (i.e. loads of charisma and loads of issues. It makes you laugh and cry all at the same time).

What about the Punto Abarth? Not sure how available they are over there, but I heard great things about that little thing - especially with the essesse kit, when it apparently pushes right through the Traction Control and backfires like a rally car.

You can tell I prefer Italians, can't you? :p

Of the ones you listed, though - the Renault. Even a hotted up Twingo would ROCK.

Since you looked at Alfas - the MiTo might look a bit girly, but they're MASSIVELY good. 114kw from a 1.4T engine.

Also worth a look (though I am biased, owning one and all) is the T-Jet Fiat Bravo.

8. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Sadly the Punto Abarth is about £3000 above budget. :'(

The Twingo is just too small for me, my legs just won't fit. The MiTo is a lovely car, only ones in budget are quite a low spec sadly. Just looked at the Bravo, it didn't grab me though, the other cars I've looked at stirred something up inside me, Bravo didn't do it for me.

9. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Sucks about the Punto.

The MiTo in different spec is news to me... we ONLY get it in 1.4 turbo Multi Air 114kw.

The Bravo I'd recommend driving. It doesn't look great, and age isn't kind to the looks, but it REALLY is one of the most fun cars I have driven in my life. That's the 110kw T-Jet.
    Also, the build quality in mine (MY08) is still better than the build quality in the MY13 Puntos... never mind the older models.

If there's a Bravo Sport or 110kw T-Jet, give it a spin and judge then.

I have owned and driven a LOT of cars at varying price points, and love the Bravo to tiny little bits, more than any other car (save the GT86 that I have on order... but I am only getting that since my Bravo is paid for and I can afford to have two cars).

10. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Isn't the Honda Civic a hot hatch?... I would be looking at a VW Golf in that range. The 2.0 GT Sport TDI 170PS has awesome specs! Clicky That is just an example, and I'm sure you could get one with lower mileage.

[​IMG]

Spec's:
    [​IMG]

Now add a re-map to the beast: http://www.celtictuning.co.uk/
    [​IMG]

So, out of that, you get - Awesome Performance, Awesome fuel consumption, Awesome low insurance = Win! :D

Last edited by a moderator: 16 Apr 2013
    David likes this.
  11. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Looked at the Civic Type-R, insurance is sky high because of it's reputation. Which sucks. I did look at a Mk5 Golf GTI, but the insurance was around the £1200 mark :(

12. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

That's what I be paying on my 1L Corsa :D

13. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Have you tried this insurance company? Clicky

I insured my Audi A5 with them fully comp, with all the extras (Break down, lost key cover, wrong fuel cover etc...) For £300 for the year. :)

YEHBABY likes this.
  14. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

BMW 130i would be my choice - NA straight 6, rear wheel drive. Otherwise I'd go for the Clio 197 without the Cup packs as they're hilariously fun.

(Actually I'd have a 147GTA I think, but we've already ruled that out!)

15. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

The Mk5 GTI I had (MY05) was hard as nails on the road.
    It killed my back on anything longer than one hour trips. That was on 17" wheels, not the 18s that you could get with it.
    I mainly blame the seats in it.

Civics aren't bad, if you're into that type of thing. I guess I am not.

What about a Polo GTI? the 1.8T

OR - a 2006/7 1.8T Audi A3. I know - you don't think it's a hot hatch, but drop in a simple K&N air filter, and that thing will reliably outrun a Mk5 GTI. It's got better high-speed handling as well (the GTI I had sucked REAL bad to drive at >170kph, which is, admittedly, well above national limits).

Of ALL of them, I'd still try for the Megane (provided you're not interested in the Bravo)

16. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

17. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

Seat Leon Cupra?

18. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

TG, I'm guessing that could be partly down to your job? Or would that increase it?

19. law99

law99 Custom User Title

+1. Also you don't own a car made by morons. I.e. The French, Vauxhal. Or a quite frankly bound to blow up eventually not quite as well engineered as BMW supercharged mini.

A remap, even a generic one on that VAG will make it v.fast for the eco. Plus, its torque on the motorways will embarrass a lot of people.

Also, there is a lot to be said of the 20 valve turbo engines. My friend gets 40mpg when not driving like a ****. At least, that is what he says he is getting.

20. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

The Clio 197 and the 130 beemer are both good options, actually.