1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Be Quiet! Silent Base 800 Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Combatus, 18 Nov 2014.

1. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

2. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

The case is atrocious. Sorry, but no. :nono:

They might have missed their market somewhat with this one. Generally people who buy such a flashy case would want LED fans and the like as well, no? This case seems to be aimed at people who value silence while not overclocking their system to the max so they don't need the best cooling performance.

Shame, their coolers and PSUs are great for the price.

3. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

Something about that case screams 'Half Life' to me, and I don't just mean the orange detailing.

While the styling and details are not for me I have to praise them on an effort to not just follow the standard design rules for a PC case. It's unfortunate however, that this time it just hasn't worked out. I hope they continue to push in this direction though as it may bring about something much more interesting and appealing down the line.

4. pavlos6868

pavlos6868 What's a Dremel?

What I really like from the case is the orange accents that make it beautiful and unique. I bet it would look awesome with a motherboard from the overclocking serie from Gigabyte and a pair of Toxic gpu's from Sapphire!

5. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

I like that the black/orange is a standard colour scheme available and the big massive power switch on the roof is handy and better than where they traditionally are.

6. Francisc Guardian

Francisc Guardian What's a Dremel?

THis case is great for people like me. Air cooling efficient and low noise. A prove of that is be able to hold up the king of air cooling, NOctua NH d15.

Having a great cable management helps improve this, as the airflow is optimized.

For me, that is just amazing. Thank you for think more on people like me.

7. MrTeal

MrTeal Minimodder

To enter the competition, I would like to say that I liked be quiet's attempt to put effort into decoupling HDDs. Although maybe this could be improved in future cases.

8. Tyrmot

Tyrmot Minimodder

I think the best feature of the new case is the focus on noise reduction! This is an aspect of case design often overlooked I think, or at least not prioritised as much as it should be.

9. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

I actually quite like the streamlined, minimalist look. I'm not too sure about the orange highlights - definitely a Half Life thing going on there.

One thing the review missed out on, given that this is supposed to be a quiet case: how quiet is it in use? How does it compare to some of the other cases you've reviewed? Does the quietness really justify the price? For a case like this that touts its quiet credentials, I'm not really interested in how well it cools as such, I'm more interested in how quiet the case is with a reasonable amount of cooling.

10. Mraedis

Mraedis Minimodder

I'm a great fan of minimal, quiet and sleek design, so I would have to go for the smooth edges that accompany the quieting case. It's a win-win, really.

11. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

The 3.5" drive cage being able to relocate to the 5.25" bays is a good idea seeing as optical drives appear to be in decline these days. I quiet like the case feet as well they make it look more sturdy, a bit like my old CM Cosmos case, also the black and orange colour scheme - very swish.

Can't wait to see a mini itx case from Be Quiet !!

12. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I'm glad Be Quiet! have finally made the foray into cases, they have been making superb PSUs for some time now which I've used in several quiet builds (although I must admit I've never owned one personally).

Personally I really like the overall look of the case. The designers have obviously tried to do something different with it, and have ended up with a good looking product - where so many others have failed. It's nice to see a quiet case that doesn't look like a small fridge!

13. Kalcifer

Kalcifer If you want change, start with yourself.

I like the under case dust filter, had to DIY most of them on my own cases.

14. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Best part about it?

The silicon rubber mounting for the harddisks, harddisks are just too noisy without proper decoupling.

However I'm not too fond of the relatively traditional layout, I'm sure it could be made much smaller if there was no 5.25" bays and the layout was messed around with a bit.

15. murraynt

murraynt Modder

My favorite part is the mountings for the SSD's

16. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

I'm a fan of the orange accents; subtle but unusual!

17. ashchap

ashchap Minimodder

My competition entry:

I like the focus on quiet operation and also the removable dust filters.

18. MrMKellow

MrMKellow What's a Dremel?

I must say I'm a really big fan of the orange accents. Find a nice black and orange motherboard, I can even see the new Asus TUF Z97 Artic looking beautiful within the case which some orange sleeved PSU cables to finish it off.

19. Strudul

Strudul ~

Nice colours :p

20. Hitman

Hitman Minimodder

I like it, the orange accents look good and it would make a perfect quiet PC. That's definitely going on my list for a new media PC build!

Tags: Add Tags