1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming PES 2013 review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 21 Sep 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

I really cannot think of anything more pointless in the world of computer games than sports games.

FPS,RTS,RPG etc,etc are things you cant possibly do in real life, but sports games..Seriously, unless you are physically disabled to such a degree that you cant, then get off you're lazy arse's,go outside and play the thing for real and get some exercise.

/rant.

3. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

You're rant isn't really valid.

4. bagman

bagman Minimodder

Let me explain why sports games are fun to play to certain people. It is fun to people who watch, play and support the sport. They find it fun taking the team they support and playing as them to get them to the top of league. They also get the power manage almost every aspect of the team. Why do you think sports games sell so well?

Also about playing it in real life. I play football games but i don't play it in real life. Do you react the battle of 1066, instead of playing RTS games?

Basically you don't understand the appeal of sports games because you are not interested in sports, and/or you don't support a sports team.

5. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Thanks for your input. ;)

6. TheDodoKiller

TheDodoKiller Minimodder

I concur. I can't stand to sit at home and watch football/ play football games, but if a friend asks if we want to go to the park and kick a ball around, I'm happy. To be honest, the only time I've enjoyed a football video game is when I've had a few sherbets and it's new years eve, and I'll fall over if I go to the park.

7. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

I do both. Quite happily.

8. zulu9812

zulu9812 What's a Dremel?

This review mentions the use of a controller and what you can do with it. Presumably the reviewer played a console version? How does it play on a PC with keyboard and mouse?

9. Ficky Pucker

Ficky Pucker I

i've played PES ever since "PES 3" and for the first time in "im too lazy to count how many" years i'll buy FIFA :)

10. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

I'm going to hazard a guess that it plays horribly. These games are made to be played with a gamepad, and you can get a USB gamepad that will work perfectly with a PC for not that much money - definitely a good investment if you play this kind of game. I believe the Xbox 360 controller will work flawlessly with PC, though I've never tried.

11. mclean007

Mate I don't play sports games with any regularity, but your rant is unnecessary. If you don't like this genre of game, fair enough, but don't denigrate those who do. You seem to be suggesting that players should get out and do it for real, but to suggest that kicking a ball around a park compares to taking your team to victory in the Champions' League Final is like saying "why bother playing WipeOut when you could do it for real - just get in your Nissan Micra and drive to Tesco instead"; or "what's the point in Modern Warfare? Get a couple of water pistols and do it for real!"

At the end of the day, computer games are pointless, much like board games, watching movies, reading fiction, or most other leisure pursuits. Okay you can say that playing sport is good for your health, but even then if it were all about health we'd all just be grinding out time running or swimming, rather than playing football or playing golf or tennis or (my personal favourite) kitesurfing - I know running or swimming would burn more calories and improve my cardiovascular fitness better than kiting, but I don't care because, like all the more sedentary pursuits listed above, I do it because I enjoy it. And if people enjoy playing football games (or any other genre), then surely that is an end in itself?

12. mclean007

I should add that it's not always practical to play football for real - you might only have 20 minutes for a quick game before doing something else; it might be late at night with no floodlit pitches handy; your mates might have other plans; or (particularly in the UK!) it might be crashing down with rain and not particularly conducive to being outdoors.

13. Res

Res What's a Dremel?

I love playing Football video games but don't watch or play it in real life, so what?

14. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Yep. You are on the money. :)

On topic: I always was a ISS followed by pes kinda guy, but when FIFA started to be better I did jump ship. Part of me now doesn't want to go back to having an unlicensed game with teams like Soton for Southampton (saints fan here) but, if there is a dramatic fall in grace, it will be a return home.

Also, you'd use a controller not a keyboard. Playing with a keyboard is just madness! :D Like said above the 360 controller works flawlessly. Using it for the last FIFA myself.

15. uz1_l0v3r

uz1_l0v3r What's a Dremel?

There are many flaws to your argument, but I can think of two obvious ones:
    a)Most of us can't play football at professional standard in front of thousands
    b) We can only play in one position at a time. Football and other sports games let you control the whole team

16. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

Soccer is about as exciting as watching paint dry.

17. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

But a sexy motherboard, mechanical keyboard, watercooling with seductive lighting etc. probably give you a rock-on...

As for Hustler's rant: do one. Most of the edge-of-seat gaming moments I've had have been playing FIFA, PES or Sensi Soccer. Six-yard box scrambles and the desperation to get an equaliser/winner in the dying minutes is more gripping than any other gaming experience.

Out of all the people who like football AND like gaming, there must be very few who don't like football games.

My experience of football games in the last 4 or five years is that PES, as this review still suggests, is a drab experience only saved by the actual on-pitch gameplay. FIFA is slicker, has the licences, and has done a pretty great job with the on-pitch gameplay for the last few editions. As such PES has really only been worth playing on the Wii.

This version of PES sounds like an improvement, but due to reduced gaming time I imagine FIFA 12 is more than enough to amuse me for some time yet.

Tags: Add Tags