1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watercooling EK Waterblock Problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Fanatic, 4 Feb 2012.

1. Fanatic

Fanatic Monimidder

Took my system down today and stripped all the watercooling for its clean and check up.

Opened up the 580 block and found: -

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And in the EK Supreme CPU block: -

[​IMG]

The above is a little harder to make out but around the edges (inside the seal line) there is corrosion on both lower and upper parts. Have left this in a high res pic as its more noticebable.

These blocks were bought last Jan, right in the middle of the problems EK had with the nickel plating. I only run pure distilled (actual distilled not de-ionised) with a silver coil.

Gutted to say the least, am now in the process of going back to air until I can sort it :sigh:

2. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

I think EK might still be offering to replace it should there be any corrosion. It is faulty goods after all.

3. Fanatic

Fanatic Monimidder

Yeah just been checking up - they have 24 month warranties which is a relief. Not sure if they go back to Scan or EK though.

4. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

Email scan, they should get back to you on monday.

5. Fanatic

Fanatic Monimidder

Good job I checked, got the cpu block from Aquatuning! Submitted RMA requests for both, although I think both blocks will be going for sale if they are swapped for new.

Too many good watercooling manufacturers out there that just don't suffer these quality issues EK has been blighted with.

6. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Useful thread in my signature if they want to play legal talk!

7. John Doe

John Doe User

As was pointed above, send them back for Copper/Gold or Plexi versions. Avoid Nickel EK as they corrode. Oh and, avoid Nickelback as well. :D

8. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I don't think they'll replace it if you open up as it voids the warrenty...

9. Fanatic

Fanatic Monimidder

There is no issue with warranty as it is a known manufacturing defect. If memory serves, they will not warranty leakages occurring after the warranty sticker is removed.

Think that came from EK themselves when it all kicked off last year.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

10. John Doe

John Doe User

11. Fanatic

Fanatic Monimidder

Thanks for heads up John, had no idea there were still issues. Replacements for both in copper and then sell them. Even my first res cracked and was replaced.

Like the look of the cuplex blocks and are highly rated. Will prob not bother with Gpu now until the card is replaced in a few weeks/months.

Last EK block I will buy. Quite like the comp fittings although for my new project its bitspower all the way.

12. John Doe

John Doe User

Yep, Aqua currently makes excellent blocks. Their 480 block was the best out of all, and the Kyro's are also nice blocks.

[​IMG]

13. AoE

AoE What's a Dremel?

Think swiftech might be the way forward for me

14. Fanatic

Fanatic Monimidder

Love the bling look of the Cuplex Nickel over the Swiftech and there is virtually nothing in it in terms of performance. I nearly went with Swiftech XT last year but went ended up going with EK...

15. asura

asura jack of all trades

Pete, the warranty that you loose on opening up is just the non-leek warranty; the material qualities etcetera are still covered - EK had a lot of people complaining about damaged O-rings which they had damaged putting the block back together leaking over their stuff. The stickers are just there to make an easy proof that the end user had damaged the O-ring not the manufacturer.

16. Fanatic

Fanatic Monimidder

Hehe, Scan refused the RMA because the warranty sticker is broken! Tried to explain on the phone that this is not the terms of the warranty but have been asked to show Scan where it states this on their (EK's) terms.

I have raised a ticket at EK.

Anyone have a direct link to an EK warranty document that clearly states this? I can;t find anything on the site tbh.

17. asura

asura jack of all trades

EK's Terms of Use

It doesn't mention the sticker in there at all unfortunately... And I can't find a definitive reference to it... it's just one of those things that is widely known (including scan, they've been spanked by EK a few times for mucking around over it) I'm sure if you trawled through XS for long enough you'd find something from Eddy or Tiborrr, but even my patience has it's limits.

18. Fanatic

Fanatic Monimidder

Yeah I know it, you know it Scan probably know it. See what EK come back with.

I've a thread in the Scan forum below so guess its all better posted down there now. Was frustrated when I got the first reply to the rma and am much calmer now. Just want scan to handle the rma now, they got the block. Postage to scan, back and then to EK is a fair hit!

19. asura

asura jack of all trades

20. Fanatic

Fanatic Monimidder

Top man Asura many thanks +rep bro

Should make my case much easier to process :D