1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU Haswell 4770k multiplier wont idle? Help!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by C4FF, 19 Jun 2013.

1. C4FF

C4FF What's a Dremel?

Hey all, quick question about my 4770k.

It's running in a Sabertooth Z87 and hasn't been a problem for me, very happy really! But for some reason, after looking at CPU-Z, my multiplier and clock speed are just staying at full whack!

Here are two screenshots of CPU-Z, whilst the computer is idling with no applications open. In fact, nothing going on at all apart from the desktop.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see, the multiplier is just full whack and won't chill out! It's not producing epic temperatures or anything (CPU @ 35c with just the h90 pump on, no fans).

Am I being dumb in thinking this should go down? The motherboard is running default stuff at the moment (I was running a 4.3 overclock but I defaulted to see if that was the problem, have tried forcing adaptive mode).

Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you!

2. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

It is clearly CPU-Z reading your CPU wrong... or do you really believe your CPU runs on 0.048 or 0.144V ?

Download this and monitor the multipliers with this tool :
    http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/tmonitor.html

PS: And just to be sure, check if C1E and EIST are enabled in your BIOS settings, they are required for undeclocking.

3. C4FF

C4FF What's a Dremel?

That core voltage part is bouncing all over the place, so yes you might be right about that.

The strange thing is that Thermal Radar 2 is reporting the same core speed as CPU-Z, but when I first bought the computer it was all reporting properly, so something must've changed!

Are there any options in the bios or anything that makes this cpu reading thing provide correct or theoretical maximum information?

4. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

5. C4FF

C4FF What's a Dremel?

Okay, thanks for your help guys. I have checked with t monitor and it is idling properly.

As I said before it's just strange as both CPU-Z and ASUS Thermal Radar 2 (the management software that come with the board) both were originally showing correct outputs).

The annoying thing is because Thermal Radar 2 thinks the CPU is running at full speed all the time, the automatic thermal tuning process doesn't work properly.

Thanks for you help though guys, gives me peace of mind that is is in fact working as intended!

6. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

If nothing else works take a look at minimum processor state in the power control section of control panel.

7. badsector

badsector i7

I have a Sabertooth Z87 also with 4770k. BIOS was originally 1007. Thermal Radar showed the core frequency shoot up and throttle back and likewise for core VDD.

My only concern was that the core VDD in manual/fixed setting didn't appear fixed, but appeared to go over 1.3V! It had a mind of its own.

I upgraded the BIOS to 1205 and also downloaded the latest version of AI Suite III. Now in Thermal Radar I also see core VDD at 0V or other stupidly low values like you are seeing, however under load the high value (approx 1.3V) appears to be stable.

I will take a look using CPU-Z, but perhaps there is a problem in the 1205 BIOS when reading CPU core VDD?