1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Nvidia announces Project Denver ARM CPU

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 6 Jan 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. Tyrmot

Tyrmot Minimodder

Very interesting. Intel may come to regret the monopoly it's imposed on the market for so long

3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Ah yes, this will finally mean real competition on the CPU market. If a special build of softwares needs to be done on Windows 8 for ARM processors, then it could take time, but if not, it will be very interesting.

Especially that we all know that Nvidia makes kick-ass motherboard chipset, while Intel: not so much... it's going to be very tight and interesting competition.

My vote is that it's going to be called: Tegra CTX 280 :) C for CPU

4. Landy_Ed

Landy_Ed Combat Novice

This potentially ups the game considerably. I don't think it's cause to hang fire on a sandybridge, but will be interested to see how this affects mini-itx offerings

5. roadie

roadie What's a Dremel?

Great if they can ship a competitive product.

6. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

At the risk of starting a flame war I have to ask 'what planet are you from?'

Nvidia motherboard chipsets were horrific - with the exception of nForce 4 SLI (for AMD chips only) they were slow, terrible for overclocking, ran ridiculously hot, killed DIMMs and USB sticks and unstable.

Nvidia pulling out of this market was one of the best things that ever happened to the motherboard industry - RMA rates dropped back to normal when they did.

7. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

Hmm, for me the advantage of running windows, is the massive amount of software I can run on it (eg games). Unless M$ come up with some mighty fine virtualiseation software then only software compiled for ARM will run on it.
    In which case, you're left with all the downsides of windows, with very few of the advantages.

8. GoodBytes

Hmm no. The only failure from Nvidia was the nForce 6, where magma was coming out of it.
    Nvidia best chipset was indeed the nForce 2 and 4.
    The rest was not bad, or on par than any other offering available, you are just exaggerating. Now if you had problem with your motherboards, then I blame the manufacture.

9. GoodBytes

M$ doesn't support ARM. All they have is those replica Microsoft Windows version, apparently. Microsoft should really sue them.

Anyway, MICROSOFT has many methods they can use for their coming OS to support ARM. My guess, is that they will use a translator system, which will cost performance. But if so, it means (on paper):
    1- ARM compiled software runs at full speed.
    2- x86 compiled software, will be slower due to the translation.

#2 overhead can be reduced, if Windows is able to use one of the core of the CPU for the translation, and the rest for the applications. But now we enter in the extremely complex and difficult system.

My guess is that nothing will be done... Win8 will run on it.. and it will be the role of the companies to make a ARM processor version.

I don't expect ARM desktop CPU's to be release as soon as Win8 comes out, let alone have the fist ARM desktop CPU's to be interesting, and even less that Windows 8 will do a perfect job to support ARM processors at release. BUT it's an entry. My guess is that the ARM version of Win8 will be on order, like XP 64-bit. Where you won't see it on store shelf.

10. Ross1

Ross1 What's a Dremel?

You wonder if Intel could get pushed out of the small, low power graphics market, amd have fusion, and nvidia have this.

11. Nictgsf

Nictgsf What's a Dremel?

I have to agree with Lizzard, nforce chipsets were terrible. The first Asus 780i I had got returned after 6 months for a full refund no questions asked (overheating, unstable, constant memory issues) and the second Asus 780i lasted 1 month before the north bridge commited suicide. The 790i lasted longer, but eventually became unstable after 6 months. Switched to a x48-t, runs cooler, overclocks easier and with a little software mod it can run sli. Finally after 2 years my system is running how it should.

Nividia wil really need to raise their game if they re-enter the chipset market

12. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

I suspect Nvidia would also have to give some pretty big incentives to motherboard manufacturers to go into business with them again as the RMA rates were so high on everything bar the AMD version of nForce 4.

13. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

I can't cope with this anymore. Wake me up when everything had settled down.

Go ARM!

14. DbD

DbD Minimodder

MS have said they will support ARM in windows 8 natively. MS has a major competitor now in google, who's O/S's are working up towards being a full windows competitor, if MS want to compete they have to support ARM.

In the medium term the world is changing, everything is getting smaller. In the same way laptops are replacing desktops, it may well be smart phones replace laptops. If people want a big screen+mouse+keyboard they just dock the phone to a shell and the phone is the PC - the peripherals just talk to it - by then it'll be fast enough to do everything a laptop can do today.

Heavyweight processing is done in the cloud, which is also where your data is stored. Sure you can still own a proper PC if you wish but for many they won't bother. This is what MS realise, and this is where windows 8+ are heading.

15. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

Sooo true... I managed to have a NF4 chipset to survive until now, but it's always at 70ºc with active cooling on it... I never saw anything like it.

PS: Had 2 A8N-SLI's Deluxe, and 1 A8N-SLI Premium... All died with that stupid chipset, memories start failing at boot, that was the beggining... Sold that crap (except Opty 170), and bought the venerable Q6600, always stable with the P35/P45 chipset :)

16. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

Well, they do say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery...

17. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

it's not going to be something we, PC hardware enthusiastics, will get to play with. it's a SoC aimed at tablets, servers and supercomputers.

the point of nVidia releasing this piece of information, is that they are not looking at entering the consumer CPU market, they are looking at entering the OEM device market, the market currently dominated by Samsung, Qualcomm and by project popularity, Apple (Apple's A4 processor is an good example of what nVidia is aiming for)

18. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

And desktop PCs. At least, that's what Nvidia says.

But Nvidia is already in the OEM device market: it has an ARM-based SoC design that is already appearing in tablets and smartphones - Tegra.

Denver is *totally* separate to Tegra, although it shares much of the design characteristics. Denver won't be appearing in tablets - that's what Tegra is for. Denver is for desktops, servers, and supercomputers - and while you're probably not likely to buy a Denver CPU as a retail item, you'll certainly be able to buy mini-ITX (and larger) motherboards with Denver CPUs embedded, much as you can with Intel's Atom and VIA's Nano now.
    Yes, Nvidia is aiming for the equivalent to Apple's A4 - with Tegra, not with Denver. Bear in mind that Tegra is already on its second iteration, having beaten the A4 chip to market by quite some time...

19. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

ms have to support arm as their competitors will.

who'da thunk it - apps make opensource chips worth while

20. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

true

Tags: Add Tags