1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Mirroring a drive pool?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Westovski, 29 Jan 2014.

1. Westovski

Westovski What's a Dremel?

Hi guys,

Random question, and apologies if it's in the wrong place.

Is it possible to 'mirror' a drive pool?

I have 6x 2TB drives and want to pool 3 of them into one volume in WHS 2011 - would it then be possible to mirror that onto another pool for backup purposes?

Cheers

2. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

You want just a copy of the data incase one pool dies?

Long time since I used WHS (on Essentials) but do you have the option for DFS under the file server role?

if you do enable that and set up to shares to mirror.

Job done. Clicks: 5

3. Wonky

Wonky What's a Dremel?

Firstly i apologize if my explanation is poor, i suck at explaining things at the best of times even with visual aids lol

I think what you're asking is for a RAID 0 + 1 (RAID 01) setup which has HDDs 1+2+3 as a read/write volume and HDDs 4+5+6 as a backup copy volume of 1+2+3.
    Yes, this is possible.
    However, personally, i would choose a RAID 1 + 0 (RAID 10) setup. Which is basically with your 6 drives, 3 groups of 2 HDDs like: HDD 1+2, 3+4 and 5+6. With HDD 2 being a single copy of HDD 1, 4 a copy of 3 and 6 a copy of 5.
    I'm not 100% sure on this but i don't believe it would be possible to have a single volume in a RAID 10. (Maybe someone else could clarify this?)

Why choose RAID 10 over RAID 01?
    Basically if you have 1 drive from each of the 2 groups die in RAID 01 then pretty much the whole RAID is dead.
    Whereas in RAID 10 you could have 1 drive from each of the 3 groups die and your data will be fine.

4. Votick

Good explanation but no RAID, Hence his storage pool's.

5. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

If you did it in RAID 10 you would end up with 3 2TB volumes - which I don't think is what the OP wants. I don't think he wants to do anything raid, but merely mirror a JBOD array (or drive pool).

edit: I got ninja'd

6. Westovski

Westovski What's a Dremel?

Haha, thank you guys.

Yeah, WHS 2011 will allow me to effectively Raid 10 (mirror each of the drives).

But i'd like to pool 3 (so 6TB) and back that pool up onto the other 3 - if possible.

It's not essential, it's just that they'll be storing films and i have over 2tb of films and don't really want to split them up.

Votick - i'll check!

7. Votick

I did a quick google last night and apparently it dose come with WHS 2011.
    Let me know if you need any further help :)

Westovski likes this.