1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Double Fine Adventure now too big for current funds

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 3 Jul 2013.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

2. Icy EyeG

Icy EyeG Controlled by Eyebrow Powers™

I've heard of this problem Broken Age was going through, but never thought it would be this serious.
    They could transform it in a trilogy, but I don't know if that's possible or if they could keep the crowd-funding momentum...

EDIT: Here's the whole post by Tim Schafer: http://kotaku.com/somehow-tim-schafers-adventure-kickstarter-needs-more-652014092

Last edited: 3 Jul 2013
  3. Syphadeus

Syphadeus What's a Dremel?

I think many will have seen this coming and this is one of the problems with Schafer - his ambition often gets the better of him. The financial equation doesn't balance. Despite raising over 8x the original ask, with that only 0.25x the game can be made? Sorry, but I'm not surprised he has problems getting financial backing from publishers with a mindset like that.

I mean, being a legendary game creator / producer is only going to get you so far. Sure, the second part of the game is going to be given for free *IF* they raise the required capital. However, this will be a massive kick in the teeth to the credibility of this business model.

Tyinsar likes this.
  4. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Actually I am surprised he will get something.
    As a fan of Tim Shaffer games, and funded DoubleFine Adventure Game, I knew that Tim goes a bit overboard in making a game, and also his games, in his eyes, are never finished. So I expected numerous delays and see a Blizzard style "coming soon" (e.g: Blizzard announces a game that is coming soon, takes "5 years" before it's out)

5. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Everything here +1.

One of the big reasons I'm dubious over Kickstarter.

Tyinsar likes this.
  6. Joey Propane

Joey Propane What's a Dremel?

More like.

Call me skeptical, but I always assume kickstarter funds are for buying speedboats... and cocaine.

7. Gradius

Gradius IT Consultant

With all that money I'm pretty sure someone will screw up everything pretty soon. Btw, by money you need to be VERY realistic AND a good management! AFTER all that should come the project you're aspiring for.

Tyinsar likes this.
  8. Syphadeus

Syphadeus What's a Dremel?

That's fine for you, if you expected it, but when you sit and think about it, is expecting it really that good a thing? It's true that many games get delayed and pushed back, but if you're someone who's so notorious for it that your fans actually expect it to happen, it almost becomes a joke.

Joey's speedboat comment is actually pretty on the ball. Imagine, for just a moment, that you changed this set up and substituted Schafer for Peter Molyneux. My god, people would be screaming that he'd stole their money.

Bottom line is, Schafer is riding on a wave comprised solely of his own reputation. If he messes this up, and in a way, it sounds like he kind of already has, there won't a ripple for him next time, let alone a wave.

Tags: Add Tags