1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To leave Power on or to turn off??

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by Norfolk'N'Good, 20 Jul 2009.

1. Norfolk'N'Good

Norfolk'N'Good Folding Chimp

So what do you do come holiday / vacation time? I have to choose soon!

2. Vince_Kinslow

Vince_Kinslow Folding Millionaire

:thumb: I normally always leave mine on. As long as all your clients are up to date and there are no power outages you should be fine :hip:

You could always give me a key and I could keep an eye on your machines for you!

3. Norfolk'N'Good

What and leave my nice new shiny Air Con machine in the hands of a fellow folder!, that is far more valuable than my folding gear:lol:

4. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

I don't fold, but I would leave my system on, so that I can do remote desktop and access my system files in the case I forget important files, or just want to grab something from home while I am out.
    If power usage is important, you can set your power system of Windows to "power saver"... My guess is that the folding speed will be reduced.. but at least you fold and use less power. Just an idea to think about and try and see.

5. broadcaststorm

broadcaststorm Folding for 35947!

I left 1 rig at home on instead of the usual 2, but other rigs at other locations stayed on.
    The machines at Mum+Dad's house is on a UPS, as is the one at the other location (Both APC 1500's, give 20 mins so enough for a graceful shutdown).
    I only left 1 at home on because I was worried about heat issues when I wasnt there to monitor it, however I was impressed that I still managed a good output whilst I was away with hardly any EUE issues.
    YMMV however!

6. DocJonz

DocJonz Another CPC refugee .....

I'll be leaving mine on ... of course :lol:

@Goodbytes - did you say you DON'T Fold? Surely not :confused:

[​IMG]

7. chin913

chin913 忍び So say we all

I always leave mine on whenever I go away for a few days ,ppd go much higher as I aint on them playing games and stuff.The only thing I turn off is my ps3, touch wood I have never come home 2 a blue screen or a reboot just turn off auto updates on windows as it reboots on its own sometimes. :)

8. GoodBytes

Yup, I don't SETI@home nor Fold@Home.

9. coolamasta

coolamasta Folding@Home CC Captain 2010/11/12

Why not bud? :D ;)

All my kit lives on generally when im away, I have an APC remote PDU as well which means I can remotely cut the power to any rigs if they ever crash and power them up again (as long as restore power after AC loss is enabled in Bios)

I might have a few of these APC remote PDUs up for sale soon as we have made a few on them redundant in work now, just need to pursuade the big boss man to let me sell them haha

10. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Sneak a couple out with the rubbish. I could do with one :D

Last edited: 21 Jul 2009
  11. broadcaststorm

broadcaststorm Folding for 35947!

Me too!
    Although do ask permission when taking any kit off site, I learned the hard way, and I was only taking it to send it back!

12. Norfolk'N'Good

So, looks like the majority of folders leave the power on when machines are left unattended for long periods of time.

Unless anyone else has further comments to sway my decision on what i should do.

13. Christopher N. Lew

Christopher N. Lew Folding in memory of my father

OK, so I'm in the minority, because I turn my machines off, as I have no wish to return to a burned out building caused by 'an electrical fault'. You may remember that my electrics are somewhat erratic, and I've had one close call in the past, so I play it safe. YMMV

14. VinnyVortex

VinnyVortex Back in the game!

Me too, I was away for 5 weeks over Christmas last year and couldn't bear the thought of returning to a blackened building, my temps run quite high all the time so i like to keep tabs on them.

15. GoodBytes

You realize that if you have a proper surge protector power bar, where it's not being overloaded, and a high quality power supply with proper selected to not be overloaded in your computer, your have nothing to worry about. Of course, this is considering that your electricity wiring at your pace is up to building codes and that the main electric box and wall plug are all grounded.

Today (high end 2005 and newer) systems has protection mechanism put in place where the processors (CPU, GPU, SPU, and so on) will downclock when overheated and/or shutdown (depending on the processor). When a processor shuts-down the computer powers down or locks-up.

If you like to monitor everything, then you can remote desktop to it from distance and run your temperature monitor system. And well shut-down your application form distance if issue arises.

If it makes you sleep at night, you can seek into ways to reduce how much power Folding takes so that your system is not under heavy load during this process.

16. coolamasta

Watch this space chaps :D Will PM you if I can get a couple in the next few weeks...

17. Vince_Kinslow

Vince_Kinslow Folding Millionaire

Not sure how many you potentially will have but I would be interested as well :thumb:

18. Christopher N. Lew

I not convinced that it is :eeek:

Running some gear older than that :eeek:

19. Christopher N. Lew

I'd be interested too

20. coolamasta

Vince & Chris, will keep you in mind as well if we have enough being de-commissioned :)