1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards PCI-E Slots Not Working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Raptor77, 21 May 2010.

1. Raptor77

Raptor77 What's a Dremel?

Motherboard: ASUS P5QL-E

Awhile ago I decided I was going to play around with a Blackmagic Intensity Pro HD capture card (mainly because I found one on eBay). Anyway it's a PCI-E x1 card, I had lot's of problems with it but re-seating over and over usually fixed it. One day my computer just stopped recognising that a card was there at all so I RMA'd it. They sent a new one back, and it doesn't get recognised in my computer either. But this one works in a friend's computer. This makes me think there is a problem with my PCI-E x1 slots. There are however some PCI slots so I could potentially get one of these:

http://www.startech.com/item/PCI1PEX1-PCI-to-PCI-Express-Adapter-Card.aspx

So:

1) Is there any other way to test my PCI-E slots?

2) Does anyone have any experience with the adapter? (See link above)

3) Considering the price of the adapter, and that it may not work, I'm considering either (a) give up and sell the Intensity - unfortunately I'm pretty stubborn. Or (b) buy a new motherboard. I'm not really planning on ever getting a new socket 775 CPU, and I don't have the cash to upgrade to anything newer at the moment. This means that I'm limited to buying a 775 motherboard, but obviously don't want to spend too much on it as it's pretty much a dead end as far as future upgrades go. Blackmagic recommended the ASUS P5Q PRO as a compatible motherboard and that would likely be my choice. Comments / suggestions on this choice would be appreciated too.

TL;DR:

PCI-E slots (not including where the graphics card goes) probably broken. Want advice on using a PCI-E card. Possible options listed above in numbered section.

Thanks for any help.

2. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

You seem to have answered all your question by yourself already.

You've established the slots dodgy and that the adapter might not be the best way to go and thirdly what mobo you want to buy.

So as a 2nd opinion I would say go fro the new mobo over the adapter. As the boards already playing up it could be a sign of more trouble to come .The up shot is, that you could end up with an adapter , a nice new shinny PCI card and nowhere to put either of them .

3. Raptor77

Thanks, I think a second opinion was what I was after really.

The email I got about the P5Q Pro suggested it costs ~£70. Anyone know if anywhere does that? I've had a look and £100 seems to be the actual price.

I might be interested if anyone had other motherboard recommendations but I'd have to run it by Blackmagic to see if it's compatible. Though to be honest it seems a better idea just to go with what they suggested first.

4. bulldogjeff

Raptor77 likes this.
  5. Raptor77

Hmm I think I was looking at P45 chipset mobos. Is "ASUS P5Q Pro" actually one specific board? That's all they said in the email.

Edit:

They must mean this:

http://www.yoyotech.co.uk/item-detail.php?products_id=3899987

I guess I was looking at "Pro Turbo". The cheaper one looks like it only has one free PCI-E after the graphics card is in but as long as it works that's all I need. The Pro Turbo has several but it's probably a waste of £30 if I don't need the extra slots.

Thanks for the YoYo Tech link.

Last edited: 21 May 2010
  6. bulldogjeff

asus boards have got more letters after their names than most doctors have, theres probably 5 versions of the pro. Your board (P5QLE) not a bad price, the pro versions usually just add a few more of whats already on the other boards for those that want just a little bit more.

7. Raptor77

Aah I see, the letter stuff was confusing me.

It looks like there is actually a "P5Q Pro" (no extra letters) but it doesn't seem to be for sale anywhere I've seen so I'm guessing it's been replaced by the other, more lettery boards.

8. bulldogjeff

LOl thats it, now you're starting to understand Asus lingo:thumb:

The way I think it works is as follows...As the spec goes up they add more letters then when it gets to a certain point they take them all away again and call it the pro, then they add more stuff and start putting letters on the pro..And so it goes on and on. Then they upgrade the whole board and throw some numbers in just to add to the confusion...And you thought Intel had a messed up system with the icore range:wallbash:

Last edited: 21 May 2010
  9. Raptor77

I just grabbed a P5Q Pro from eBay for £60 posted :) only had an hour left too. Here's hoping it works.

Haha, yeah it's making more sense now. Though I think in some cases the boards are just different rather than having better specs. Like for these P5Q's, quite a lot of the boards seem to have less PCI-E slots than the "original" (no extra letters) Pro. I figured more than one slot is a good idea in case I end up with another card that wants one too.

Thanks for the link and explanations though, I gave you some rep.

10. bulldogjeff

Woohoo rep cheers my old mate.....Glad to help thats what we're all on the forum for.

11. krazykid035

krazykid035 Entrepreneur

Hopefully you have researched the issue more than just this thread. The slot could be working and my question to find this is...Are you running Windows 7? As blackmagic doesn't support it. I have the system in my sig and was dissapointed to find out it isn't possible for it to work...yet. Now they just came out with a new version that uses USB 3.0 (external), and since it is external i would think it has its' own encoder/processor etc. I honestly don't know what is in it but I sent them an email today asking if the new version works.

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/