bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Misc > General

Old 26th Feb 2010, 18:58   #41
julianmartin
resident cyborg.

julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.
marine ply?

Xeon X5660||Asus P6X58D-E||12GB XMS3||240GB SSD||GTX770||Define R3||X58 forever
julianmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Feb 2010, 19:13   #42
shigllgetcha
Come at me bro

shigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysis
i think you can buy waterproof epoxy to water proof it. mdf was just the first thing that came to mind, im not too sure myself how well it would work. I dont know what else you might use. i think you can buy plastic hoods without the light attachments in most pet shops

think i found a good enough example
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...ight-hood.html
it has an open top so any moisture travels through the hood
Old 26th Feb 2010, 20:16   #43
Cerberus90
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Cerberus90 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCerberus90 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCerberus90 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCerberus90 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCerberus90 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCerberus90 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCerberus90 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCerberus90 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCerberus90 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCerberus90 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCerberus90 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Yeh, I found one on the net too. A fully enclosed one that folded in the middle, so that one half could flip up to give access to the tank.

Hopefully be going to Maidenhead aquatics at the garden centre tomorrow to see what they've got. Might pop down to the little local shop too as they seem to be more knowledgeable.

Cerberus90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Feb 2010, 20:37   #44
shigllgetcha
Come at me bro

shigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysis
maidenhead are supposed to be good, theres one in ireland but its 4 hours away. my closest decent fish shop is nearly 2.5 hours away. i live in a rural part of ireland its a pain. there are a few good shops closer theyre just very run of the mill
Old 26th Feb 2010, 20:44   #45
Freedom
Hypermodder

Freedom has yet to learn the way of the DremelFreedom has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I think that hoods had it. You could buy a clear-seal hood There's enough room for a two Tubes.

I bet they'll do one that fits. Otherwise restore the hood remove the current lighting system and and install T5 lights i bet you easy fit a pair in there.
Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Feb 2010, 21:35   #46
Freedom
Hypermodder

Freedom has yet to learn the way of the DremelFreedom has yet to learn the way of the Dremel

Unfortunately I've only got my rubbishy Kodka camara at the moh, I'll get a a better one when i get my dslr back. Its a basic clear seal 60l, With 3 Corydoras julii, 3 Danio rerio(two zebra one albino) 5 male Guppies and a lone neon that killed off all its kin.
Old 27th Feb 2010, 18:12   #47
Cerberus90
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Cerberus90 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCerberus90 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCerberus90 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCerberus90 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCerberus90 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCerberus90 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCerberus90 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCerberus90 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCerberus90 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCerberus90 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCerberus90 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Well, went down to the garden centre maidenhead aquatics.

BLOODY EXPENSIVE.

They didn't have any hoods, they said they could get the clear seal ones in but they were expensive, said you'd probably be better off making your own. So I might do that.
Got some deionised water though at 1.60.

But the filter elements and bulbs were ridiculous. 16 for a 742mm T8 tube. 7 for some activated charcoal, and 4 for some little rubber suckers for heater tubes.
3.50 for one piece of plant! And 16 for 6 pieces of plant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Only got the water. Going to try some other shops tomorrow, maidenhead has always been more expensive.

Anyway, spent the whole day cleaning the tank out, and its looking a bit better. Its empty,

Still got some more hovering up to do as there's a bunch of crap that's settled back down in one corner. Its probably going to have had about a 50-75% water change though, .
Water levels are still all fine though, PH7-7.5, Ammonia is almost non-existent, very little nitrite and a small amount of nitrates.

Cleaned up the original hood a bit too, but it really needs a new piece of perspex.

However, I got the hood out of the shed from my dads old 36" tank, the tanks pretty much had it now, but the hoods not to bad. It has the ability to take two T8 tubes too. Its just a bit wide.
So I'll either be cutting it down, or building a small wooden plinth to sit on the tank, which the hood can then sit on unmodified, allowing me to use 36" tubes instead of 32", which should give me some more wattage.

I'll get some pics in a minute.

Old 27th Feb 2010, 21:29   #48
Freedom
Hypermodder

Pet at home stock the consort hood clear seal hood, The replacement for my current tank 24" is 20. lighting there would properly be a bit more expensive. Might better ordering the ballast off the web and buying the tubes local.
Old 28th Feb 2010, 00:21   #49
Cerberus90
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
Pet at home stock the consort hood clear seal hood, The replacement for my current tank 24" is 20. lighting there would properly be a bit more expensive. Might better ordering the ballast off the web and buying the tubes local.
I've found a site where I can get Ballast control unit (double so it controls two tubes) for 33.
One tube for 7.99, which is half the price of anywhere I've seen locally.
And then a few other bits and bobs for making a C02 diffuser that I'm going to try.

Just had a look at pets at home, nothing on the net, but it looks like they don't put much on their website anyway. I'll pop down there tomorrow too.

Thanks

Old 28th Feb 2010, 14:56   #50
shigllgetcha
Come at me bro

haha someones getting back into it^^

today after a water change and general cleanup and rearrange
Old 28th Feb 2010, 15:21   #51
Cerberus90
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus90 View Post
I've found a site where I can get Ballast control unit (double so it controls two tubes) for 33.
One tube for 7.99, which is half the price of anywhere I've seen locally.
And then a few other bits and bobs for making a C02 diffuser that I'm going to try.

Just had a look at pets at home, nothing on the net, but it looks like they don't put much on their website anyway. I'll pop down there tomorrow too.

Thanks
First pets at home we went to said they didn't have any hoods and that pets at home have never stocked hoods. They said they only had the clear ones (meaning drip trays).
Next pets at home, yes they had hoods, but not the right size.

Ended up getting a few bits of plant and some stuff for the c02 diffuser.

But, I don't know what I'm going to do. I'm at the point where I'm so fed up with it I almost want to just get rid of it.
Its so expensive, and I don't know how long my interest will last, and whether its worth spending my money on it.

I'm completely demotivated on it. I'd love to get a good tank going, and keep it looking good, but its all so bloody expensive. The fish are actually looking cheap now that I've seen the prices for all the lighting/hoods etc.

*EDIT*

Do you guys have drip trays? Do you get any problems with water/humidity and the electrics for the lighting??

Old 28th Feb 2010, 15:47   #52
shigllgetcha
Come at me bro

i dont have a drip tray thing and havent had a prob, its been running a year now and no such probs. the electronics must be insulated well enough. i dont think there is enough evaporation in my tank to worry about a tray but maybe your wiring is different
Old 28th Feb 2010, 18:52   #53
Cerberus90
I Mod, Therefore I Own

In a bit better mood now. Almost everything I wanted to do this weekend I've done.

Probably going to be sticking with the original hood now. My dad spent about 30mins cleaning it up and removing the glass from it. Looks much better, and instead of the glass we've just got two pieces of thin plastic.

Got a C02 reactor going, its not brilliant, but it is producing C02, so hopefully that'll give the plants a boost.

Got the larger filter in, which has the three section things, foam filter, hula hoops and carbon bag.

Cleaned up almost all of the crap from the bottom. Got a lot of the silk weed out. Got some more plants in.

Next weekend, or possibly Wednesday, I'm going to get some valis (sp), and some more fish, either neon tetras, or some other form of tetra, just to give the tank a bit of variation as all the guppys are boring atm, and don't looking very special, apart from the two with fiery tails.

Old 28th Feb 2010, 20:04   #54
samkiller42
For i AM Cheesecake!!

samkiller42 is a Super Spamming Saiyansamkiller42 is a Super Spamming Saiyansamkiller42 is a Super Spamming Saiyansamkiller42 is a Super Spamming Saiyansamkiller42 is a Super Spamming Saiyansamkiller42 is a Super Spamming Saiyansamkiller42 is a Super Spamming Saiyansamkiller42 is a Super Spamming Saiyansamkiller42 is a Super Spamming Saiyansamkiller42 is a Super Spamming Saiyansamkiller42 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Looks good Cerberus, i would go for Neon Tetras personally, more the merrier, as they look pretty good in large groups.

As for myself, i've kinda settled for a tank that's no longer available in the UK, typical.
Mum and I both like corner tanks, thus i like the look of the Fluval Venezia 350 And is just a case of spotting one on ebay or the like at the right time, which is proving difficult atm.

Sam

The Rig: Core i5 4670, GTX980, 16GB DDR3, 256GB M550 SSD, 500GB BX100 SSD Corsair 250D, Dell u2412m
The Server: Gen8 Microserver, Xeon E3-1220v2, 12GB DDR3, 4TB, 3TB, 2TB storage
samkiller42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Mar 2010, 00:09   #55
Freedom
Hypermodder

Make sure you get a Co2 tester thingy.
Old 1st Mar 2010, 00:49   #56
julianmartin
resident cyborg.

julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.
Had a tropical freshwater tank years ago, with some really badass angelfish. Had to get rid of it during a housemove though, although I think we still have all the kit. Gotta get back into it - loved the fish so much.

Xeon X5660||Asus P6X58D-E||12GB XMS3||240GB SSD||GTX770||Define R3||X58 forever
julianmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Mar 2010, 04:10   #57
KayinBlack
Toxophile

KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.
You're looking for Vallisneria, I believe. I just picked up some flame moss.

If you want a striking tetra that's not too common, get some diamond tetras or black neons.

PC: Intel i7-4830K, ASUS X79 Deluxe, 64GB GEiL Golden Dragon 1333MHz RAM, EVGA nVidia Titan Black 6GB Hydro Copper, Blu-Ray burner, 4x250GB Samsung 840 EVO in RAID 10, Corsair AX860i.
KayinBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Mar 2010, 04:39   #58
thehippoz
Banned

thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
nice tanks.. lost my goldfish got from san fransisco and I switched to parakeets- they try and out do whatever is on the tv though by squaking- you have to learn to tune them out XD
thehippoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Mar 2010, 10:11   #59
Cerberus90
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
Make sure you get a Co2 tester thingy.
I was going to buy an oxygen test kit to make sure there's still enough left in. I'll have to look into it.

I don't think my c02 reactor is going to be pumping that much in though.

Old 1st Mar 2010, 14:49   #60
KayinBlack
Toxophile

KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.
You feed CO2 to plants, they reward you with oxygen. Already dissolved into the water, to boot. It's one of the reasons that I enjoy keeping plants in my aquarium so much.

PC: Intel i7-4830K, ASUS X79 Deluxe, 64GB GEiL Golden Dragon 1333MHz RAM, EVGA nVidia Titan Black 6GB Hydro Copper, Blu-Ray burner, 4x250GB Samsung 840 EVO in RAID 10, Corsair AX860i.
KayinBlack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aquatics, pets, say no to necrofish, say no to skimlinks, say yes to skimmed milk

View Mode