bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Misc > General

Old 23rd Jun 2010, 10:12   #161
samkiller42
For i AM Cheesecake!!

samkiller42 is a Super Spamming Saiyansamkiller42 is a Super Spamming Saiyansamkiller42 is a Super Spamming Saiyansamkiller42 is a Super Spamming Saiyansamkiller42 is a Super Spamming Saiyansamkiller42 is a Super Spamming Saiyansamkiller42 is a Super Spamming Saiyansamkiller42 is a Super Spamming Saiyansamkiller42 is a Super Spamming Saiyansamkiller42 is a Super Spamming Saiyansamkiller42 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Some promised pics:
Overall:

My 2 Blue Discus, the Orange one did a runner..

My Pair of Electric Blue Rams, and my Orange Discus made an appearance

And that last shot confirms that my camera is sick.
And damn window glare.

Sam

The Rig: Core i5 4670, GTX980, 16GB DDR3, 256GB M550 SSD, 500GB BX100 SSD Corsair 250D, Dell u2412m
The Server: Gen8 Microserver, Xeon E3-1220v2, 12GB DDR3, 4TB, 3TB, 2TB storage
samkiller42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Jul 2010, 09:27   #162
shigllgetcha
Come at me bro

shigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysis
how are the discus doing sam, what water are you keeping them, it was the one think i could never figure out when i looked into keeping them

made the trip to the fish shops yesterday. 2 hours drive away lol

the first pet shop didnt really have any fish i was after but the second had banagii cardinals a yellow headed jawfish and a flame angel. Im going to get a flame angel in a few months just not ready yet so i got the jawfish and two bangaii cardinals, picked two that seemed to be palling around and chasing everyone else around so fingers crossed they are a pair.

the first shop i went back to on way home, got 4 sexy shrimp, a boxer crab a toadstool and a trumpet coral. when she was bagging the crab she couldnt get him off the live rock so she threw it in the bag and when i got home there was a really nice pistol shrimp in the rock it must have been for sale and she didnt notice it. if i lived local id bring it back tbh but im so far away and itll b atleast two months before im back id say so im just gonna keep him.

will be on the look out for a goby to pair him with, was actually thinking of getting a shrimp goby pair so proper happy about that.

you might think im stocking pretty heavily but the inverts dont add to bioload so you can add as many as you want at one time and im so far away i kind of have to.

ill upload pics later if i get a chance
Old 5th Jul 2010, 20:00   #163
samkiller42
For i AM Cheesecake!!

samkiller42 is a Super Spamming Saiyansamkiller42 is a Super Spamming Saiyansamkiller42 is a Super Spamming Saiyansamkiller42 is a Super Spamming Saiyansamkiller42 is a Super Spamming Saiyansamkiller42 is a Super Spamming Saiyansamkiller42 is a Super Spamming Saiyansamkiller42 is a Super Spamming Saiyansamkiller42 is a Super Spamming Saiyansamkiller42 is a Super Spamming Saiyansamkiller42 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by shigllgetcha View Post
how are the discus doing sam, what water are you keeping them, it was the one think i could never figure out when i looked into keeping them
Thanks, They are doing very well ta. Water is normal RO Water with this special Mineral powder added. I currently buy my water from Maidenhead as we rent our house.

I guess the biggest change since my last post is that mum and i have completed our application for moving to a new house, so everything needs to be saved and moved all on the same day. I have also spotted a very nice Breeding pair of Discus, just need to save 200 for them.

Sam

The Rig: Core i5 4670, GTX980, 16GB DDR3, 256GB M550 SSD, 500GB BX100 SSD Corsair 250D, Dell u2412m
Old 5th Jul 2010, 20:05   #164
shigllgetcha
Come at me bro

shigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by samkiller42 View Post
Thanks, They are doing very well ta. Water is normal RO Water with this special Mineral powder added.
id say thats the best way to do the water. nothing to worry about

pics time

Old 5th Jul 2010, 20:20   #165
samkiller42
For i AM Cheesecake!!

Wow, tanks looking awesome. Yea, i need to do a large water change as I've had the misfortune to get an Algae Bloom, which isn't a massive problem, just an annoying one.

Sam

Old 7th Jul 2010, 13:31   #166
shigllgetcha
Come at me bro

thinking of redoing my freshwater tank. i have a big container the fish can stay in and take the coral sand out and put in normal sand and arrange the plants better and have a deeper sand bed for my plants

sam is that just normal like play sand you have in your tank? do you find it blows up very easily?(not in the explosion way just into the water )

my favourite fish in my FS tank are my panda corys and think i want a few more and the sand would suit them better
Old 7th Jul 2010, 14:14   #167
Cerberus90
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Cerberus90 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCerberus90 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCerberus90 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCerberus90 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCerberus90 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCerberus90 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCerberus90 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCerberus90 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCerberus90 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCerberus90 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCerberus90 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I bought some so called play sand from our garden centre to do my tank with.

The picture on the bag showed golden, fine grained sand. It said it had been sterilised/washed.

Got it home, opened the bag, and was welcomed with a horrible brown mess with lumps in it. Took it straight back and got a refund.

I then decided to just buy the sand that Maidenhead have, Bought a Large bag for 15.99 and used about 1/2 to 3/4 of it in my 110L tank.

I couldn't be bothered to wash it either, which meant that when I put it in, the dust went into the water and made it all murky, but the next day it had all been filtered out.

Cerberus90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jul 2010, 14:27   #168
shigllgetcha
Come at me bro

yeh im happy enough to wash it, learnt that the hard way lol and its not that big of a deal

you find it doesnt rise into the water much cerberus? my FW tank has kinda been left to one side and id like to refresh it abit. the coral sand i used is pretty shallow and would be alkaline so think changing it might help the plants and i can clean the tank and get rid of snails at the same time
Old 7th Jul 2010, 16:56   #169
wormy
Supermodder

wormy is definitely a rep cheat.wormy is definitely a rep cheat.wormy is definitely a rep cheat.wormy is definitely a rep cheat.wormy is definitely a rep cheat.wormy is definitely a rep cheat.wormy is definitely a rep cheat.wormy is definitely a rep cheat.wormy is definitely a rep cheat.wormy is definitely a rep cheat.wormy is definitely a rep cheat.
For a while I've been tempted every now and again to get a tank. I've recently moved house so it's become more viable.

Can anybody please recommend a good magazine in the UK that I could take a look at to start learning a little more about it all?

I'm not sure yet if I would want fresh or saltwater, so one thing I will look into is the difference between having one or the other (apart from stock, of course). I live near the sea, so plenty of saltwater around lol
wormy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jul 2010, 17:14   #170
Cerberus90
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Cerberus90 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCerberus90 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCerberus90 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCerberus90 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCerberus90 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCerberus90 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCerberus90 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCerberus90 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCerberus90 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCerberus90 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCerberus90 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by shigllgetcha View Post
yeh im happy enough to wash it, learnt that the hard way lol and its not that big of a deal

you find it doesnt rise into the water much cerberus? my FW tank has kinda been left to one side and id like to refresh it abit. the coral sand i used is pretty shallow and would be alkaline so think changing it might help the plants and i can clean the tank and get rid of snails at the same time
No it doesn't wash away or around the tank or anything.

Its really helped with my plants too. When I had gravel, plants didn't seem to grow. But now with sand. They've been going berserk, infact, they've been growing too well, .

I lost all my cabomba due to it growing so much.

Cerberus90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jul 2010, 17:58   #171
samkiller42
For i AM Cheesecake!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormy View Post
For a while I've been tempted every now and again to get a tank. I've recently moved house so it's become more viable.

Can anybody please recommend a good magazine in the UK that I could take a look at to start learning a little more about it all?

I'm not sure yet if I would want fresh or saltwater, so one thing I will look into is the difference between having one or the other (apart from stock, of course). I live near the sea, so plenty of saltwater around lol
There used to be Practical Fish Keeper, not sure if it's still about though.
My advice to those looking into the hobby is start with Fresh water, you can go right into fresh water Tropical, or you can stick with cold water.

Sam

Old 7th Jul 2010, 19:27   #172
samkiller42
For i AM Cheesecake!!

Just spotted some little whitish things on my bog wood, with 2 Discus right next to it, a closer look reveals eggs, WOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Only had them a month, and frankly, i'm not even sure which 2 of my 3 are the breeding pair, so excited, and frankly, that was a little too easy if i end up with baby Discus.

Pics soon.

Sam

Old 7th Jul 2010, 22:09   #173
wormy
Supermodder

wormy is definitely a rep cheat.wormy is definitely a rep cheat.wormy is definitely a rep cheat.wormy is definitely a rep cheat.wormy is definitely a rep cheat.wormy is definitely a rep cheat.wormy is definitely a rep cheat.wormy is definitely a rep cheat.wormy is definitely a rep cheat.wormy is definitely a rep cheat.wormy is definitely a rep cheat.
thanks Sam and congrats on the eggs
Old 7th Jul 2010, 22:29   #174
samkiller42
For i AM Cheesecake!!

No worries mate, if you ever need help with any aspect of the hobby, theres a few of us keeping fresh water, and so far, one of us keeping marine, so we can answer and or give advice.
Also, shop around your local aquatic centres, their always happy to help, and don't be afraid to ask questions, there or here. Also, buy books and read them, they give loads of info from starting up, through to breeding.

Sam

Old 7th Jul 2010, 22:48   #175
shigllgetcha
Come at me bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormy View Post

yeh id go for FW first if your heart isnt completely set on marines. practical fish keeping is still around, this months arrived today haha. its not really much to do with the basics of fishkeeping though, more into the rarities and the odd beginner thing but might be worth having a look at all right. id start by getting a fish keeping book from a fish shop and read up like sam says

id suggest getting a fluval or juwel tank. good build quality, affordable and in lots of sizes, buy the biggest you can afford or youll just want bigger in a few months. Oh and id suggest getting an external filter to begin with if its an option, the internals are completely up to the job but the external is just a better job if you get the chance.

a tank is pretty low maintenance once its set up

Quote:
Originally Posted by samkiller42 View Post
Just spotted some little whitish things on my bog wood, with 2 Discus right next to it, a closer look reveals eggs, WOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Only had them a month, and frankly, i'm not even sure which 2 of my 3 are the breeding pair, so excited, and frankly, that was a little too easy if i end up with baby Discus.

Pics soon.

Sam
thats great news, would be great to raise them and see them feed off the parent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus90 View Post
No it doesn't wash away or around the tank or anything.

Its really helped with my plants too. When I had gravel, plants didn't seem to grow. But now with sand. They've been going berserk, infact, they've been growing too well, .

I lost all my cabomba due to it growing so much.
haha sand it is then, thats my weekend planned.

got a few pics with my blue leds

Last edited by shigllgetcha; 7th Jul 2010 at 22:55.
shigllgetcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jul 2010, 09:55   #176
wormy
Supermodder

shig, sam, thanks There's a shop in the high street of my town so I'll aim to pop in at the weekend and look around
Old 16th Jul 2010, 21:13   #177
shigllgetcha
Come at me bro

pic of my gramma and jawfish having a barney

Old 18th Jul 2010, 17:49   #178
shigllgetcha
Come at me bro

my jawfish digging his burrow
Old 21st Jul 2010, 03:54   #179
ccxo
On top of a hill

ccxo is a Super Spamming Saiyanccxo is a Super Spamming Saiyanccxo is a Super Spamming Saiyanccxo is a Super Spamming Saiyanccxo is a Super Spamming Saiyanccxo is a Super Spamming Saiyanccxo is a Super Spamming Saiyanccxo is a Super Spamming Saiyanccxo is a Super Spamming Saiyanccxo is a Super Spamming Saiyanccxo is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Been following this thread for a while, the more i look at it the more i want to get a tank. Been to my local maidenhead store in newbury and to the gold fish bowl in oxford seen some really nice marine fish which im looking to get a tank for.
Just taking the plunge to buy everything as im wondering if its worth starting another hobby, is the end result worth the investment?

Last edited by ccxo; 21st Jul 2010 at 15:15.
ccxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jul 2010, 14:58   #180
shigllgetcha
Come at me bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccxo View Post
Been following this thread for a while, the more i look at it the more i want to get a tank. Been to my local maidenhead store in newbury and to the gold fish bowl in oxford seen some really nice marine fish which im looking to get a tank for.
Just taking the plunge to buy everything as im wondering if its worth starting another hobby, is the end result worth the investment?
its an awful temptation this thread lol

ive spent an awfull lot on my marine tank. 2k+ easy enuf id say and im not yet finished(im avoiding adding it all up). i really like it and dont regret getting it at all, yet

bought new sand for the FW tank yesterday so maybe tonight ill move all the fish and shrimp in to a temp home for a few days. i want to get rid of the snails if possible too, bin the old sand clean all the plants well to get rid of snails and eggs and get rid of all the algae on the glass and the hair algae im getting in the tank, might need to shorten the photoperiod aswell

Tags
aquatics, pets, say no to necrofish, say no to skimlinks, say yes to skimmed milk

View Mode