bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Recreation > Gaming

Old 27th Apr 2017, 21:52   #5661
Cerberus90
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Cerberus90 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCerberus90 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCerberus90 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCerberus90 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCerberus90 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCerberus90 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCerberus90 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCerberus90 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCerberus90 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCerberus90 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCerberus90 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Core Rules being free sounds good. Part of the reason why I never really got into the gaming side, rulebook was so expensive and got changed so often, then the codexes also got changed regularly.
Suppose they'll probably just make the codexes more expensive if they're not selling a rulebook too,

Cerberus90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2017, 15:50   #5662
adam_bagpuss
Have you tried turning it off/on ?

adam_bagpuss is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.adam_bagpuss is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.adam_bagpuss is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.adam_bagpuss is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.adam_bagpuss is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.adam_bagpuss is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.adam_bagpuss is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.adam_bagpuss is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.adam_bagpuss is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.adam_bagpuss is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.adam_bagpuss is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
hey guys,

need some advice, im new to painting etc and have been worried about how im thinning.

layers seem to build up (5-6 layers) but the initial ones are VERY streaky and when i watch youtube videos they seem to have a very even coverage even on the first layer.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7...Hl4TDg3QTJLaDQ (first layer)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7...mRVYlZhdUVqT1E (after 4-5 layers)

Any suggest anything or is that normal
adam_bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2017, 19:32   #5663
IanW
Grumpy Old Git

IanW is a Super Spamming SaiyanIanW is a Super Spamming SaiyanIanW is a Super Spamming SaiyanIanW is a Super Spamming SaiyanIanW is a Super Spamming SaiyanIanW is a Super Spamming SaiyanIanW is a Super Spamming SaiyanIanW is a Super Spamming SaiyanIanW is a Super Spamming SaiyanIanW is a Super Spamming SaiyanIanW is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Dawn of War III will be released on Linux next month, by Feral Interactive.
IanW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2017, 20:48   #5664
Cerberus90
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Cerberus90 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCerberus90 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCerberus90 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCerberus90 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCerberus90 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCerberus90 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCerberus90 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCerberus90 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCerberus90 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCerberus90 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCerberus90 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_bagpuss View Post
hey guys,

need some advice, im new to painting etc and have been worried about how im thinning.

layers seem to build up (5-6 layers) but the initial ones are VERY streaky and when i watch youtube videos they seem to have a very even coverage even on the first layer.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7...Hl4TDg3QTJLaDQ (first layer)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7...mRVYlZhdUVqT1E (after 4-5 layers)

Any suggest anything or is that normal
Certain colours will need more layers than others. That red is a prime example, especially if you're painting over black. Different brands of paints will also apply differently too, and age of paints, I've found the newer stuff to be much thinner/harder to get an even finish than paints from ~10 years ago, but that might just be that I'm not very good,

I usually don't thin my paint at all, just get the brush damp then paint, making sure to keep dipping the brush in water occassionally to keep it damp.

Cerberus90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2017, 21:21   #5665
Almightyrastus
Rule #9

Almightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming Saiyan
The layer paints are designed to be transparent which is why there are the base paints to work up from.
Lo there do I see my Father. Lo there do I see my Mother, and my Sisters and my Brothers. Lo there do I see the line of my people, back to the beginning. Lo they do call to me. They bid me take my place among them, in the halls of Valhalla where the brave may live forever.
Almightyrastus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2017, 22:01   #5666
adam_bagpuss
Have you tried turning it off/on ?

adam_bagpuss is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.adam_bagpuss is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.adam_bagpuss is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.adam_bagpuss is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.adam_bagpuss is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.adam_bagpuss is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.adam_bagpuss is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.adam_bagpuss is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.adam_bagpuss is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.adam_bagpuss is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.adam_bagpuss is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
so what im doing looks ok ?
adam_bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2017, 22:04   #5667
Almightyrastus
Rule #9

Almightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming Saiyan
It's a bit of a long road to where you're going. I would start with something like Mephiston red over the black, that's a base paint which has a lot more pigment in it and will lay down a solid base in a couple of coats. After that, shade the recesses with either agrax earthshade or caroburg crimson. Next up go for your layer paints to bring the main areas of colour up to where you want them, you should be able to manage that in a couple of thin coats. Then go up a step in brightness to the highlights, and even go a bit further than that if you want to go for some more extreme edge highlighting.

So far, not bad, decently neat which is the main thing.
Lo there do I see my Father. Lo there do I see my Mother, and my Sisters and my Brothers. Lo there do I see the line of my people, back to the beginning. Lo they do call to me. They bid me take my place among them, in the halls of Valhalla where the brave may live forever.
Almightyrastus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2017, 02:35   #5668
lilgoth89
Captin Calliope

lilgoth89 is a Super Spamming Saiyanlilgoth89 is a Super Spamming Saiyanlilgoth89 is a Super Spamming Saiyanlilgoth89 is a Super Spamming Saiyanlilgoth89 is a Super Spamming Saiyanlilgoth89 is a Super Spamming Saiyanlilgoth89 is a Super Spamming Saiyanlilgoth89 is a Super Spamming Saiyanlilgoth89 is a Super Spamming Saiyanlilgoth89 is a Super Spamming Saiyanlilgoth89 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
well that sucks ass...

sorting out my gaming table and a friend said to use flock and then spray Army painter matt varnish

well it turned the flock white, now i have to figure out if i can rip it all off and start all over again ( minus an expensive tub of flock )

anyone got any tips ? on how to flock / varnish without turning half the table white, or would a green wash help ?

Or Lira, how much would you want to paint / flock / varnish an 8x4 section of the Realm of battle table ( going for an old school grassy plains build )

in other news i got a fairly ok paint scheme for my Bugs thats quick to paint and looks far better than my previous attempt
Army Painter Bone spray
khorne red, Mephiston red and Nuln oil on the Carapace
Cadian fleshtone to the wings
teeth picked out in white, weapons and venom sack in green
then a dip in army painter quickshade
done
its a rather daunting prospect... painting up likely over 200 models, so i needed something quick, very simply and easy for someone with unsteady hands, a side effect of my autistic stimming ( i almost constantly rock or bounce my legs )

Last edited by lilgoth89; 21st May 2017 at 09:16.
lilgoth89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2017, 09:34   #5669
13eightyfour
Formerly Titanium Angel

13eightyfour is a Super Spamming Saiyan13eightyfour is a Super Spamming Saiyan13eightyfour is a Super Spamming Saiyan13eightyfour is a Super Spamming Saiyan13eightyfour is a Super Spamming Saiyan13eightyfour is a Super Spamming Saiyan13eightyfour is a Super Spamming Saiyan13eightyfour is a Super Spamming Saiyan13eightyfour is a Super Spamming Saiyan13eightyfour is a Super Spamming Saiyan13eightyfour is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I use the same method as shown in this video:

Its always worked for me, and is really easy to use.
13eightyfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2017, 16:16   #5670
lilgoth89
Captin Calliope

lilgoth89 is a Super Spamming Saiyanlilgoth89 is a Super Spamming Saiyanlilgoth89 is a Super Spamming Saiyanlilgoth89 is a Super Spamming Saiyanlilgoth89 is a Super Spamming Saiyanlilgoth89 is a Super Spamming Saiyanlilgoth89 is a Super Spamming Saiyanlilgoth89 is a Super Spamming Saiyanlilgoth89 is a Super Spamming Saiyanlilgoth89 is a Super Spamming Saiyanlilgoth89 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
yeah thats what i did to attach the flock to the board, but it said due to it being a surface that will see alot of use / abuse that you should put a layer of matt varnish over the top to give a protective surface

but the varnish isnt matt, some people saying use GW's spray, others saying use a green wash to put the colour back

If Lira can rescue it with an airbrush it would save me a HUGE quantity of time and im happy to compensate him for his trouble ( givern he only lives down the road ) either that or i might just grab a humbrol spray can and spray the board to re-colour it. Im just reallly not looking forward to possible having to scrape all the flock off, bin it and start all over again
Old Yesterday, 23:28   #5671
Blademrk
Why so serious?

Blademrk is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Blademrk is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Blademrk is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Blademrk is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Blademrk is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Blademrk is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Blademrk is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Blademrk is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Blademrk is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Blademrk is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Blademrk is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Another option I suppose would be to turn it into a frost effect (a light blue drybush over the top of the white bits?)

My X-Box Live gamertag, PSN, Steam & Nintendo ID is BladeMrk
Blademrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:37   #5672
lilgoth89
Captin Calliope

yeah, i dont really like the effect, so if i cant figure a way to save it, it will all end up having to come off and re-laid

Tags
40k, games workshop, no skimlinks, say no to skimlinks, say yes to skimmed milk, white dwarf