bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Recreation > Gaming

Old 6th Nov 2012, 19:05   #21
Jedra
Supermodel

Jedra is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Jedra is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Jedra is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Jedra is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Jedra is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Jedra is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Jedra is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Jedra is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Jedra is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Jedra is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Jedra is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexxo View Post
We don't need an ELITE reboot; we have EVE.
If EVE wasn't subscription based then I would agree in part. I tried and tried to like EVE but I just did not find it fun and because of that I could not justify paying the subscription.

This needs to be more than a re-boot as simply clothing the old Elite with nice graphics and multiplayer will not cut the mustard. On the basis he has wanted to make the game for a long time, I am hoping (gambling!) that he has put a lot of thought into what this game should be 30 years on!

ASUS P6X58D-E - Intel Core i7 930 - Thermaltake FRIO - 12GB Corsair (6x2G CMD12GX3M6A1600C8) - Corsair AX1200 - 2GB Sapphire Radeon HD5970 OC - 256Gb Crucial SSD - X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Silverstone Fortress FT02R-W
Steam Profile ---------- XBL:Jedra ---------- PSN:Jedra ---------- BF3:Jedra7609 & Jedra
Jedra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Nov 2012, 19:58   #22
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Nexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I would hope so too. My only gripe with EVE is that it is too combat/war oriented and the level grinding you have to engage in before you get anywhere at all is longer than longcat. Great fun with a group of players, but I simply do not have the time in my life anymore to devote to it. I would like to be able to dip in, fly around a bit and dip out. It's not that kind of game.

"We are the music makers; we are the dreamers of dreams"

Current project: Metaversa 02 Ada.
Nexxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Nov 2012, 22:34   #23
GravitySmacked
Mostly Harmless

GravitySmacked is a Super Spamming SaiyanGravitySmacked is a Super Spamming SaiyanGravitySmacked is a Super Spamming SaiyanGravitySmacked is a Super Spamming SaiyanGravitySmacked is a Super Spamming SaiyanGravitySmacked is a Super Spamming SaiyanGravitySmacked is a Super Spamming SaiyanGravitySmacked is a Super Spamming SaiyanGravitySmacked is a Super Spamming SaiyanGravitySmacked is a Super Spamming SaiyanGravitySmacked is a Super Spamming Saiyan
As a huge fan of the original, and a fan of the genre, I've just had a major nerdgasm. With this and Star Citizen the next couple of years are looking to be very interesting for space sims and PC gaming!!

I wonder if it will come with lenslok copy protection and a novella?
GravitySmacked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Nov 2012, 22:39   #24
dolphie
Banned

dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Yeah not too interested in a straight remake with modern graphics. But I gotta give him the benefit of the doubt, and the poor guy's company has been starved of financing the past decade or two. It might just be a quick cash in, but it might just be a great opportunity for him to bring us the Elite4 we always dreamt of and get his foot back in the door of the industry.
dolphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Nov 2012, 23:59   #25
Landy_Ed
Combat Novice

Landy_Ed is a Super Spamming SaiyanLandy_Ed is a Super Spamming SaiyanLandy_Ed is a Super Spamming SaiyanLandy_Ed is a Super Spamming SaiyanLandy_Ed is a Super Spamming SaiyanLandy_Ed is a Super Spamming SaiyanLandy_Ed is a Super Spamming SaiyanLandy_Ed is a Super Spamming SaiyanLandy_Ed is a Super Spamming SaiyanLandy_Ed is a Super Spamming SaiyanLandy_Ed is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Difficult to be justifiably cynical about a someone involved in the raspi.

Also a big fan of the original, and Oolite too. I happen to like how they're approaching this, the implication is that rather than budget & publisher deadline pressure they'll try to get what they are aiming for down even if it goes out late.

Gets my backing anyway!
Landy_Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Nov 2012, 02:07   #26
Elspuddy

Elspuddy is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Elspuddy is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Elspuddy is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Elspuddy is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Elspuddy is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Elspuddy is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Elspuddy is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Elspuddy is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Elspuddy is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Elspuddy is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Elspuddy is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
I have backed this because I loved playing this game on my acorn electron, and used to play it on my Amiga as well.
Also eve online controls system is a bit meh and its more like orbit target at said range and keep firing.
Old 7th Nov 2012, 08:20   #27
rma
Multimodder

rma is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rma is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rma is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rma is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rma is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rma is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rma is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rma is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rma is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rma is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rma is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
My only gripe with EVE is that it is too combat/war oriented and the level grinding you have to engage in before you get anywhere at all is longer than longcat.
Are you sure you played Eve?
There are no levels in Eve, there is just passive learning (which happens whether you're online or offline) to enable you to fly ships and use items.

It's the least grindy MMO ever!

I play the game for PVE - I've only ever lost 1 ship to other players, the first time I poked my ship's nose into low sec. I now live in null sec and still am 100% PVE.
rma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Nov 2012, 09:33   #28
nimbu
I *am* a Dremel

nimbu is definitely a rep cheat.nimbu is definitely a rep cheat.nimbu is definitely a rep cheat.nimbu is definitely a rep cheat.nimbu is definitely a rep cheat.nimbu is definitely a rep cheat.nimbu is definitely a rep cheat.nimbu is definitely a rep cheat.nimbu is definitely a rep cheat.nimbu is definitely a rep cheat.nimbu is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedra View Post
If EVE wasn't subscription based then I would agree in part. I tried and tried to like EVE but I just did not find it fun and because of that I could not justify paying the subscription.!

Do you know you can purchase subscription time now for in game currency? Been playing 9.5 years myself, on a bit of a break atm, so I only have one account running. I log in and do one maybe 2 level 4 missions a night. With the isk I generate from bounties, loyalty points, loot and salvage, I make more then enough to pay for that accounts subscription.
nimbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Nov 2012, 11:18   #29
Jedra
Supermodel

Jedra is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Jedra is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Jedra is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Jedra is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Jedra is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Jedra is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Jedra is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Jedra is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Jedra is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Jedra is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Jedra is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimbu View Post
Do you know you can purchase subscription time now for in game currency? Been playing 9.5 years myself, on a bit of a break atm, so I only have one account running. I log in and do one maybe 2 level 4 missions a night. With the isk I generate from bounties, loyalty points, loot and salvage, I make more then enough to pay for that accounts subscription.
I didn't know that. But, to be honest I found the whole thing a bit of a grind (played for about a year several years ago). It has maybe changed now, but at the time it seemed like I had a second job. I guess it didn't help that I was a member of a group that had mining quotas for everyone - what kind of annoyed me was getting messages from the assistant deputy leader who was half my age telling me to buck my ideas up and mine more stuff! At the time I was working for a huge Corporation in real life and EVE reminded me of my job! It was supposed to be escapism!!

I am currently in the beta test for Dust 514 and it starting to feel the same!

Maybe one day I will get back to it, but I kind of like to play stuff that I can sink a couple of hours into and then forget about it until next time. It's what I hope Eliteangerous and Star Citizen will allow me to do.

ASUS P6X58D-E - Intel Core i7 930 - Thermaltake FRIO - 12GB Corsair (6x2G CMD12GX3M6A1600C8) - Corsair AX1200 - 2GB Sapphire Radeon HD5970 OC - 256Gb Crucial SSD - X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Silverstone Fortress FT02R-W
Steam Profile ---------- XBL:Jedra ---------- PSN:Jedra ---------- BF3:Jedra7609 & Jedra
Jedra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Nov 2012, 11:56   #30
Risky
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.
I'm not convinced by this given all the talk of Elite 4 over the years. I haven't played Eve as I'm not a big MMO fan - particularly for Space games that are meant to be getting you away from this world.

Howveer I'm a massive fan of the X-series games by www.egosoft.com. They've taken thing a lot further while keeping it in a single player universe. The great thing is they way that you play in a universe what exists outside the sector you are in, with it calulating the effect of battles that you may never be aware of rather that have a sector effective vanish once you leave it. They whole scope of the games is massive and a single player game makes it rather more relaing as you can play when you want to and choose whether you want to be fighting or working on something else at any given time.
Old 7th Nov 2012, 12:04   #31
dolphie
Banned

dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
The X series is still living in Elite's shadow imo, even 20 something years later. If this guy gets the budget, I bet he will deliver.
Old 7th Nov 2012, 12:12   #32
kenco_uk
I unsuccessfully then tried again

kenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyan
To quote Amiga Power's review strapline: "Elite was fronty, Elite II is Frontier". I vaguely remember playing Elite once or twice on a C64, or at least attempting to and failing miserably. Elite II on the Amiga was amazing. The fact the whole universe was packed into a file under 500KB still amazes me.
Old 7th Nov 2012, 12:16   #33
ShinyAli
Supermodder

ShinyAli - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ShinyAli - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ShinyAli - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ShinyAli - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ShinyAli - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ShinyAli - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ShinyAli - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ShinyAli - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ShinyAli - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ShinyAli - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ShinyAli - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flibblebot View Post
The major flaw in your argument is that if even the large companies started using crowd-sourced funding, then nobody (or at least very few people) would stump up money for yet another clone or sequel. The advantage with crowdsourcing is that, theoretically at least, the games that get made are the games that people want.
Maybe, but a lot of people continue to buy the latest sequels from non crowd-sourced funding even after they may have received poor reviews, it seems to be a human trait that we want a game to be good even after numerous sequels just because we have fond memories of the first one or two games in the series, I guess that's nostalgia for you.

Quote:
As far as Elite 2014 goes, I'm not sure that it'll work. He's asking for a lot of money for starters, and I don't think that 80s gameplay is going to work in the 21st century.
Quite, and again it's the nostalgia associated with the game you only have to look at many of the comments posted here to see that but, are enough people nostalgic enough to pay for it
ShinyAli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Nov 2012, 14:13   #34
Risky
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphie View Post
The X series is still living in Elite's shadow imo, even 20 something years later. If this guy gets the budget, I bet he will deliver.
Only because there hasn't been an actual Elite game to put it up against. The games are an impressive piece of work from a very dedicated development team.
Old 7th Nov 2012, 15:13   #35
dolphie
Banned

They just lack some stuff which harms my enjoyment, but I am hoping that X:Rebirth will change that.

Hope Braben gets another shot though, there's no question to me that he deserves it. He is a geek genius when it comes to programming and gaming technology and I don't think he had a fair chance to make games in the modern age. Not sure he could come up with something today that is as special as Elite was in the 80's and early 90's, but I bet he would deliver something well worth having.

And he would have to push the boat out because Star Citizen is already promising so much.
Old 7th Nov 2012, 15:20   #36
GreatOldOne
Wannabe Martian

GreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Don't get me wrong: I love ELITE. I remember when it came out. I bought it, read the enclosed novella and played the game until it was burnt into my screen. I was an ELITE addict. It was part of my formative years, my youth, my geek life.
You too, huh?

Loved Elite, but hated Elite II. I had a brief flirtation with Privateer, and it was good whilst it lasted (The love burned bright but briefly).

In two minds about this. Can we have normal Elite style game play with today's top notch GFX, with out all that dicking about planet side?
"Maybe we're on Mars because we have to be, because there's a deep nomadic impulse built into us by the evolutionary process, we come after all, from hunter gatherers, and for 99.9% of our tenure on Earth we've been wanderers. And, the next place to wander to, is Mars. But whatever the reason you're on Mars is, I'm glad you're there. And I wish I was with you."
- Carl Sagan

A GOO-ster is Born - Build Diary RSS I'm a Great Oakley product tester! My purpose built testing centre
GreatOldOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Nov 2012, 15:53   #37
dolphie
Banned

^ That's what the X games do, you can see the planets but you can't land on them. It's all just flying around in space, trading, expanding etc.
Old 7th Nov 2012, 20:42   #38
Jester_612
"Jammy..."

Jester_612 is definitely a rep cheat.Jester_612 is definitely a rep cheat.Jester_612 is definitely a rep cheat.Jester_612 is definitely a rep cheat.Jester_612 is definitely a rep cheat.Jester_612 is definitely a rep cheat.Jester_612 is definitely a rep cheat.Jester_612 is definitely a rep cheat.Jester_612 is definitely a rep cheat.Jester_612 is definitely a rep cheat.Jester_612 is definitely a rep cheat.
The studio Frontier looks like a safe bet, that being said something seems amiss, especially with no demonstrable workings. Also that thing about Ian Bell was concerning, seeing as how he was 1/2 of Elite.

It comes over to me as though they decided to work on it ten days ago, having had some board room meetings when Star Citizen was announced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyAli View Post
Considering some of the big name, big money games that are released today and the justifiable bad reviews they often get what quality of games would we get if all/most of the game funding came from the likes of Kickstarter

When game companies invest their own money (pre-ordering probably doesn't account for that much on a big money game) yet are still prepared to produce and release games that they know have problems and will get poor reviews but hope to at least recoup their investment if not make a profit what quality of games will they produce when they have had the money up front and only need a relatively small amount of sales to make a profit, there will be more clone sequels and pre-sequels than you can shake an AK-47 at
That's the short sighted bussines model, "quick earn some money, whatever it takes, whatever the cost". Then what happens after that project is completed, and they are looking at moving on to the next project.

Case in point, Studios X and Y have projects A and B on kickstarter successfully funded, both are completed, X's project is a failure in the eyes of the consumer, Y's is a great successes. Now both studios need a new project, otherwise they die. X goes to kickstarter with project C and likewise Y starts D. Plainly studio X will have quite the uphill battle getting C funded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyAli View Post
Maybe, but a lot of people continue to buy the latest sequels from non crowd-sourced funding even after they may have received poor reviews, it seems to be a human trait that we want a game to be good even after numerous sequels just because we have fond memories of the first one or two games in the series, I guess that's nostalgia for you.
I would put this down to them being able to see what everyone else can't. Like MoH: Warfighter, apparently only a very small collective can see the good.
Old 7th Nov 2012, 21:44   #39
GravitySmacked
Mostly Harmless

GravitySmacked is a Super Spamming SaiyanGravitySmacked is a Super Spamming SaiyanGravitySmacked is a Super Spamming SaiyanGravitySmacked is a Super Spamming SaiyanGravitySmacked is a Super Spamming SaiyanGravitySmacked is a Super Spamming SaiyanGravitySmacked is a Super Spamming SaiyanGravitySmacked is a Super Spamming SaiyanGravitySmacked is a Super Spamming SaiyanGravitySmacked is a Super Spamming SaiyanGravitySmacked is a Super Spamming Saiyan
The way I see it is I've been wanting a new Elite game for as long as I can remember and now there's a chance of getting one. Worth £20 for the chance? Definitely!

I had a blast with Eve for the first 2 years after launch but then I had children and couldn't afford to sink so much time into a game (getting around in Eve isn't the speediest) plus all the politics, interesting yes but also time consuming. Still Eve is one of my favourite games of all time but I haven't got the time anymore.

I tried so hard to get into the X series but just found it too difficult; the potential was/is there but the learning curve too steep, for me anyway .

Now Star Citizen (big fan of Chris Roberts earlier games) and a new Elite come along, two games from a genre almost forgotten, well colour me surprised and overjoyed at the same time
GravitySmacked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Nov 2012, 13:23   #40
dolphie
Banned

His video is up, I'm so excited about this now

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...lite-dangerous

Tags
aha! it's christmas time!, friendship drive charging, my god it's full of stars, parge is feathers!, say yes to skimmed milk