bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Technology > Software

Old 13th Nov 2014, 02:21   #121
RedFlames
...is a figment of your imagination

RedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming Saiyan
New build available

and...

Quote:
Native MKV support:
Some of you have noticed that Build 9860 brought native support for the MKV file format. In Build 9879, we’re making the experience “more complete”. You can now play MKV files directly from Windows Media Player (as well as other desktop and modern apps), MKV files will show thumbnails and metadata in File Explorer, support for DLNA and Play To scenarios has been added, and more. We recently brought MKV support to the Xbox One. We also added platform support for H.265 HEVC for Windows 10 as well, and we’re not done here yet. More news to come on this later.
About. ****ing. Time!

RedFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Nov 2014, 08:09   #122
faugusztin
I *am* the guy with two left hands

faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
And they are really, really pushing for developers too :
http://www.visualstudio.com/products...o-community-vs

Free Visual Studio Community 2013, which is finally the same thing as the Professional version, except some team size limitations for business use :
Quote:
A: Here’s how individual developers can use Visual Studio Community:
Any individual developer can use Visual Studio Community to create their own free or paid apps.
Here’s how Visual Studio Community can be used in organizations:
An unlimited number of users within an organization can use Visual Studio Community for the following scenarios: in a classroom learning environment, for academic research, or for contributing to open source projects.

For all other usage scenarios: In non-enterprise organizations, up to 5 users can use Visual Studio Community. In enterprise organizations (meaning those with >250 PCs or > $1MM in annual revenue), no use is permitted beyond the open source, academic research, and classroom learning environment scenarios described above.
faugusztin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Nov 2014, 21:30   #123
impar
I Mod, Therefore I Own

impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.
Greetings!

Quote:
What's new in Windows 10 Technical Preview 3

http://www.neowin.net/news/whats-new...ical-preview-3
Quote:
Windows 10 Technical Preview Gets Version Bump And New Features

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8720/w...d-new-features
Old 13th Nov 2014, 22:19   #124
RedFlames

RedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by faugusztin View Post
some team size limitations for business use :
Teams of 5 for fewer people with less than $1million a year turnover...

Which is pretty good imo...

Old 13th Nov 2014, 23:35   #125
faugusztin

faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
My point exactly. They pretty much made the full Visual Studio free for home users, academics and small teams who probably wouldn't use it anyway unless it was a requirement. And they will still get their money from big clients, who were most of their VS customers anyway.
Old 14th Nov 2014, 12:31   #126
impar
I Mod, Therefore I Own

impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.
Greetings!

Quote:
Windows 10 Technical Preview First Impressions: The Return Of The Desktop

At first glance, Windows 10 looks like Windows 8 with a Start Menu. It is clearly a lot more than that, but even so, as someone very smart told me, that’s not a bad thing. Windows 8 had a lot going for it, but design decisions were made early on, and with a “my way or no way” attitude that it was difficult to use. It seems that Windows 10 really addresses a lot of this, while at the same time keeping and expanding on a lot of the great features that were in Windows 8 and likely overlooked due to a lot of animosity towards it.

http://www.anandtech.com/print/8705/...of-the-desktop
Old 14th Nov 2014, 19:30   #127
Corky42
What did walle eat for breakfast?

Corky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Get a first sneak peak at Windows 10’s Continuum feature

Here is what you need to do to enable Continuum right now in Windows 10.
Corky42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Nov 2014, 11:22   #128
impar
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Greetings!

Quote:
OneDrive getting worse to get better in Windows 10
One of the best parts of OneDrive's Windows 8.1 integration is going away.

Earlier this week, Windows 10 Technical Preview users on the fast update track received a new version of the operating system. As well as introducing some new trackpad shortcuts and visual changes to windowed Metro apps, the new version changed the way OneDrive works. A lot.

We thought the way that OneDrive (then still called SkyDrive) was implemented in Windows 8.1 was really smart. In Windows 8.1, OneDrive-replicated folders always show all the files and folders that reside within those folders, and they do so even for files that aren't available locally. If a file isn't local (or "available offline," to use OneDrive's terminology) then a placeholder would be shown instead. Attempting to open the placeholder from Explorer or a Metro application would first sync the file locally, and then open it.
In Windows 10, OneDrive will work basically the same way as Dropbox. The placeholders are going away; if a file isn't currently synced, it won't show up locally at all. Per-folder selective sync will be used instead, so either all of a folder's files will be available or none of them will be.

There are up some upsides to this. This approach won't break in the way the Windows 8.1 client can break (though as mentioned, this was a solvable problem), and OneDrive for Business will use the same syncing engine as regular OneDrive. This should provide greater consistency for corporate Office 365 users.

Microsoft also says that the OneDrive implementation in the current build isn't final.
http://arstechnica.com/information-t...in-windows-10/
Old 21st Nov 2014, 12:42   #129
impar
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Greetings!

Quote:
Microsoft details changes coming to the Windows Store for businesses

The new features announced today are all about making it easier to deploy and manage apps for employees. We have listed below the highlights from the article which you can find at the bottom of this post.

*- In September, Microsoft announced that Windows 10 will deliver one Windows Store for all Windows devices. For organizations, the unified Store, which will combine the full catalog of Windows apps in one location, will also offer a new web-based Store portal that will allow IT administrators to browse the app catalog and acquire apps in bulk.
*- IT administrators can access the new web-based Store portal, specifically for organizations – and can do so by signing in with an Azure Active Directory identity. Apps acquired through the portal can then be assigned to people in the organization, providing organizations with a controlled and customizable experience specifically for their members.
*- Organizations will be able to fully control Windows Store features and distribution using System Center Configuration Manager, Microsoft Intune or via mobile device management (MDM) services. This includes the ability to install and uninstall apps, control app updates and manage app licenses.

http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft...for-businesses
Quote:
Starting Jan 1st, Microsoft's app store policy change makes it less attractive for developers

Here's the deal, right now, if you build an app for Microsoft's Windows ecosystem and sell it through their store, they take a 30% cut of sales up to $25,000 and after that, they drop the cut to 20%. But starting in January, that $25,000 rate-drop will be going away.

http://www.neowin.net/news/starting-...for-developers
Old 21st Nov 2014, 15:05   #130
faugusztin

To anyone trying to use build 9879 on X99 + NVIDIA/ATI combo - don't even try.
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...2-80dd6d213dfc

It crashes with BSOD with WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR.
Old 22nd Nov 2014, 21:33   #131
impar
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Greetings!

Quote:
Microsoft confirms that Windows 10 kernel will be 10.0

Earlier this week, a few bits of information leaked out that showed Microsoft would be taking the bold step of making the kernel version go from 6.4 up to 10. This is a big change for the company and for legacy applications, it could impact the software.

http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft...el-will-be-100
Old 22nd Nov 2014, 21:56   #132
theshadow2001
[DELETE] means [DELETE]

theshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
If software is dependant on the kernel version number then a change to 6.4.1 or 6.41 or 6.5 or 10 or whatever else will effect such software. The magnitude with which the version number jumps is irrelevant to everyone.

Really its a fairly trivial change, if you are capable of writing software which requires knowing the kernel version, you can probably handle the disparity between windows version number and the kernel version number.
theshadow2001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Nov 2014, 23:58   #133
RedFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshadow2001 View Post
If software is dependant on the kernel version number then a change to 6.4.1 or 6.41 or 6.5 or 10 or whatever else will effect such software. The magnitude with which the version number jumps is irrelevant to everyone.

Really its a fairly trivial change, if you are capable of writing software which requires knowing the kernel version, you can probably handle the disparity between windows version number and the kernel version number.
It's like when the Linux kernel jumped from 2.6.x to 3, there was no real reason behind it, they admitted as much... they just felt it'd been 2.6.x for long enough...

Also surely there are other ways Windows can ID itself to the program... Like how Cinebench can ID whether it's the Home or Pro version of Windows [but didn't recognise 8.x's 'Pro with Media Centre' and thus spat out 'Unknown edition'...]

Old 23rd Nov 2014, 00:02   #134
Phil Rhodes
Hypernobber

Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
If I want to buy a new version of windows right now, what do I actually get?

What I want is probably 7, that is, the version closest to 2000 that actually works with modern software, since after that it seemed to degenerate into a load of squares and become effectively unusable. And they started calling it strange things and bumping version numbers all over the shop. But I don't think you can actually get 7 anymore.

Bah.

P
Phil Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Nov 2014, 02:13   #135
loftie
Mod Master

loftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Rhodes View Post
If I want to buy a new version of windows right now, what do I actually get?

What I want is probably 7, that is, the version closest to 2000 that actually works with modern software, since after that it seemed to degenerate into a load of squares and become effectively unusable. And they started calling it strange things and bumping version numbers all over the shop. But I don't think you can actually get 7 anymore.

Bah.

P
Very true, everything moved from long thin rectangles to slightly more square things in 8. If you'd like your rectangles back maybe look at Start8 by Stardock. Or some other rectangle replacement software. Or wait for 10 and hope the rectangles cohabit with the squares in such a way that it is to your liking.
Old 23rd Nov 2014, 08:30   #136
Corky42
What did walle eat for breakfast?

Corky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFlames View Post
It's like when the Linux kernel jumped from 2.6.x to 3, there was no real reason behind it, they admitted as much... they just felt it'd been 2.6.x for long enough...
It's those damn marketing people, gone are the days you could just look at the version number and tell at an instance how big a change had been made.
Corky42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Nov 2014, 12:55   #137
impar
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Greetings!

Quote:
Why Windows 10 isn’t version 6 any more and why it will probably work
Windows 7 wasn't version 7.0, and Windows 8 wasn't version 8.0. Windows 10 is 10.0.

With this change, changing the internal version number has become a lot safer. The big fear over doing so, the fear that applications would see a major version of 10 and then break in some way, can't occur: the only applications that see version 10 will be those that explicitly indicate that they support that kind of thing anyway. It lets Windows 10 safely be version 10, when Windows 8 and Windows 7 could not be versions 8.0 and 7.0, respectively.

http://arstechnica.com/information-t...probably-work/
Old 26th Nov 2014, 10:14   #138
impar
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Greetings!

Quote:
Windows 10: Slow ring or fast ring? Most users go slow

When Microsoft released build 9860 of Windows 10, they announced a new 'slow' and 'fast' release cadence that allows you to determine how quickly you want to receive builds of Windows 10. The difference is that those in the 'fast' ring are willing to accept the faster builds knowing that there could be significant bugs or other issues that make the build unstable for being among the first with the new features.

The 'slow' ring is for those who want to try out the new OS but want a bit more stability with their install. Seeing that 9879 hit the 'fast' ring a few weeks ago, it gave Microsoft time to fix a BSOD issue before pushing it out to 'slow' ring users. After the hotfix went live yesterday, it was only a matter of time until 'slow' ring users got their hands on the build which occurred last night.

http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-1...-users-go-slow
Quote:
Latest Windows 10 update shows how rapid releases work in practice
Problems revealed by the fast track were fixed before the rollout to the slow track.

Our expectation is that the Windows Insider program will continue to run even after Windows 10 is launched. With the three announced stable release cadences (a fast consumer-oriented one, a medium business-oriented one, and a slow critical system-oriented one), and two-speed insider program, this will leave Windows users on up to five different versions of Windows 10.

This sounds daunting, but is not too different from what browser developers are doing. Firefox, for example, has its infrequently updated Extended Support Release (analogous to the business track for Windows 10), its regular stable release (equivalent to the consumer track), a beta release, and a developer release, approximately equivalent to the slow and fast insider tracks, respectively.

The biggest difference comes at the extremes. Firefox and Chrome both have nightly builds that update once or more a day. Microsoft isn't planning anything like this for Windows. But Windows has something at the opposite end, with its critical system track.

The browser developers have shown that this tiered model, with multiple versions extant in the wild, can be very effective, and is a good fit for consumer software.

http://arstechnica.com/information-t...k-in-practice/
Old 29th Nov 2014, 21:55   #139
impar
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Greetings!

Quote:
Microsoft to unveil Windows 10 consumer features at January event
Consumer Preview is on the way

http://www.theverge.com/2014/11/27/7...-january-event
Old 1st Dec 2014, 03:55   #140
Gaming_freak_10
Ultramodder

Gaming_freak_10 is definitely a rep cheat.Gaming_freak_10 is definitely a rep cheat.Gaming_freak_10 is definitely a rep cheat.Gaming_freak_10 is definitely a rep cheat.Gaming_freak_10 is definitely a rep cheat.Gaming_freak_10 is definitely a rep cheat.Gaming_freak_10 is definitely a rep cheat.Gaming_freak_10 is definitely a rep cheat.Gaming_freak_10 is definitely a rep cheat.Gaming_freak_10 is definitely a rep cheat.Gaming_freak_10 is definitely a rep cheat.
Just got a spare PC that I had lying around.. installed windows 10 Technical Preview.. now have to update and everything..

Looks pretty decent..

Spare PC:
MOBO: EVGA 132-CK-NF78-A1
GPU: EVGA GTS 250 (unsure of the exact info)
RAM: DDR2 2GB
PROCESSOR: Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4GHz Q6600
Black Fox: Processor: AMD FX-6300. Motherboard: GA-78LMT-USB3 (rev. 5.0). 16GB DDR3 RAM. 64GB SSD. 640GB and 320GB HDDs. XFX 5770 HD Graphic card. Case: Thermaltake Core V21. PSU: EVGA NEX750B 750Watt PSU

In memory of Kidmod-Southpaw (1997 - 2014) and Teelzebub (1955 - 2016)
Gaming_freak_10 is offline   Reply With Quote