bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Recreation > Gaming

Old 6th Apr 2016, 11:36   #21
jrduquemin
Multimodder

jrduquemin is definitely a rep cheat.jrduquemin is definitely a rep cheat.jrduquemin is definitely a rep cheat.jrduquemin is definitely a rep cheat.jrduquemin is definitely a rep cheat.jrduquemin is definitely a rep cheat.jrduquemin is definitely a rep cheat.jrduquemin is definitely a rep cheat.jrduquemin is definitely a rep cheat.jrduquemin is definitely a rep cheat.jrduquemin is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunsmith View Post
manual transmission was patched in by request.
Now that's interesting..

Pity the price is astronomical though
jrduquemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Apr 2016, 11:48   #22
Vault-Tec
Green Plastic Watering Can

Vault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrduquemin View Post
Now that's interesting..

Pity the price is astronomical though
I got it for £20 odd on CdKeys.

MUWC Winner ROTT
Vault-Tec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Apr 2016, 12:06   #23
jrduquemin
Multimodder

jrduquemin is definitely a rep cheat.jrduquemin is definitely a rep cheat.jrduquemin is definitely a rep cheat.jrduquemin is definitely a rep cheat.jrduquemin is definitely a rep cheat.jrduquemin is definitely a rep cheat.jrduquemin is definitely a rep cheat.jrduquemin is definitely a rep cheat.jrduquemin is definitely a rep cheat.jrduquemin is definitely a rep cheat.jrduquemin is definitely a rep cheat.
For the PC it's £39.99 currently, and it is Out Of Stock also...
Old 6th Apr 2016, 12:11   #24
Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
For the PC it's £39.99 currently, and it is Out Of Stock also...
Bloody hell you're right. It's £43 on G2A !! looks like I got in at the right time then.

TBH I reckon it's worth £39.99. The tight ass in me would never pay that but the game is great.

MUWC Winner ROTT
Old 6th Apr 2016, 12:13   #25
jrduquemin
Multimodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vault-Tec View Post
Bloody hell you're right. It's £43 on G2A !! looks like I got in at the right time then.

TBH I reckon it's worth £39.99. The tight ass in me would never pay that but the game is great.
What cars are you running in the game?
Old 6th Apr 2016, 12:28   #26
Vault-Tec

Quote:
What cars are you running in the game?
ATM I am still running the Honda and the Porker. The Porker is pretty much maxed out though.

I haven't played it for over a week because I've been messing around with my computers and downgrading my main rig's monitor to a 1440p one as 4k is ridiculous. Sadly my replacement monitor arrived broken so I'm still not able to play it on my rig.

I've been playing it on my lady's PC @ 1080p with a Titan Black and am about 10 hours in I guess. I really don't want to go any further on this rig though out of principle. I've spent a arm and a leg on my gaming PC so I really want to use that (1440p is easy with a single Fury X).

Oh yeah also.. I'm progressing through the game at my own leisurely pace. I tend to redo a lot of races and drifting because of how much fun it is and to save up money for new cars and so on.

BTW talking of 4k.. It is beginning to look like this game may never work properly in Crossfire. AMD released a driver a couple of days back and this is buried in the release notes.

Need For Speed™ may experience poor scaling or flickering in AMD Crossfire™ mode. As a work around users can disable the profile through the Radeon™ Settings game manager.

And that's why I can't play it atm Once I get a replacement monitor I am going to disable Crossfire completely and possibly even sell on one of my Fury X. It just doesn't work in any new games any more and takes months and months for support to be sorted out.

MUWC Winner ROTT
Old 6th Apr 2016, 12:50   #27
jrduquemin
Multimodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vault-Tec View Post
ATM I am still running the Honda and the Porker. The Porker is pretty much maxed out though.

I haven't played it for over a week because I've been messing around with my computers and downgrading my main rig's monitor to a 1440p one as 4k is ridiculous. Sadly my replacement monitor arrived broken so I'm still not able to play it on my rig.

I've been playing it on my lady's PC @ 1080p with a Titan Black and am about 10 hours in I guess. I really don't want to go any further on this rig though out of principle. I've spent a arm and a leg on my gaming PC so I really want to use that (1440p is easy with a single Fury X).

Oh yeah also.. I'm progressing through the game at my own leisurely pace. I tend to redo a lot of races and drifting because of how much fun it is and to save up money for new cars and so on.

BTW talking of 4k.. It is beginning to look like this game may never work properly in Crossfire. AMD released a driver a couple of days back and this is buried in the release notes.

Need For Speed™ may experience poor scaling or flickering in AMD Crossfire™ mode. As a work around users can disable the profile through the Radeon™ Settings game manager.

And that's why I can't play it atm Once I get a replacement monitor I am going to disable Crossfire completely and possibly even sell on one of my Fury X. It just doesn't work in any new games any more and takes months and months for support to be sorted out.
Sorry to hear of your computer woes

I would also be inclined to go for the Civic as well as that was one of the first cars I bought in NFS:U2. Well, that and the Skyline, RX-7 and most other ricers in the game
Old 6th Apr 2016, 13:00   #28
Vault-Tec

Quote:
Sorry to hear of your computer woes

I would also be inclined to go for the Civic as well as that was one of the first cars I bought in NFS:U2. Well, that and the Skyline, RX-7 and most other ricers in the game
For buzzing around in it's aces tbh. Fantastic little car and really does fly as you progress into the game. Sadly it just doesn't drift at all so I needed the Porsche mainly for that. The game is a little annoying because you can only change the handling type and tyres at the garage and not just before a race, so you will find yourself saving up Drift and other drift events and then picking them all off at once rather than going between different events.

I found a race that was actually very difficult. It's set by the hairy guy. Basically you have to scout out locations but they're time trials. Some of them are very windy and send you around car parks etc and I basically worked out that if you made one wrong turn or had one crash you would not make the time. It's very, very tight and very tricky. So I guess I will be leaving that for a bit as tbh? even on street handling the Porsche loves to swap ends.

It is a fantastic game though. Sure as I have said there are flaws but if you are looking for an Underground 2 type game then this is basically it.

MUWC Winner ROTT
Old 6th Apr 2016, 13:06   #29
jrduquemin
Multimodder

Thanks for that, I will definitely be buying it once the price has dropped a bit
Old 8th Apr 2016, 16:15   #30
Vault-Tec

Well I've run into an issue that has sadly stopped me playing this. And it's the strangest thing ever to happen to me in all of my years messing around with PCs (of which there have been many).

OK, so I realised the other day whilst poking around that you can actually sell cars. My Porsche was feeling really slow all of a sudden (not wanting to go over 140 MPH which I thought was odd) so I decided to replace it with a Ferrari by selling it and my Honda.

OK so get this. If I play using this car on my main PC with a 5820k and Fury X (with Crossfire disabled) I can only go around 140 mph. It doesn't matter what settings I alter or what I change the car is poo and slow.

Then I go over to my lady's computer with a 2ghz Ivybridge CPU and Titan Black running DSR 1440p and I can do well over 200 mph.

Talk about smashing your head on a wall !

MUWC Winner ROTT
Old 8th Apr 2016, 22:49   #31
Cerberus90
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Cerberus90 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCerberus90 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCerberus90 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCerberus90 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCerberus90 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCerberus90 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCerberus90 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCerberus90 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCerberus90 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCerberus90 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCerberus90 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I hope that doesn't mean physics steps are somehow linked to something other than proper time steps (fps or some other odd thing).

Cerberus90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Apr 2016, 11:12   #32
Vault-Tec

Fixed it /redface.

I forgot I had tried to set up a bluetooth controller a while back and it was screwing with the Xbone controller's Xinput. Just deleted the bluetooth controller all sorted.

MUWC Winner ROTT
Old 10th Apr 2016, 10:27   #33
.//TuNdRa
Resident Bulldozer Guru

.//TuNdRa is a Super Spamming Saiyan.//TuNdRa is a Super Spamming Saiyan.//TuNdRa is a Super Spamming Saiyan.//TuNdRa is a Super Spamming Saiyan.//TuNdRa is a Super Spamming Saiyan.//TuNdRa is a Super Spamming Saiyan.//TuNdRa is a Super Spamming Saiyan.//TuNdRa is a Super Spamming Saiyan.//TuNdRa is a Super Spamming Saiyan.//TuNdRa is a Super Spamming Saiyan.//TuNdRa is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I've had a pretty good blast with this game, completed the storyline and found the vast majority of the collectibles, but I'm having real trouble with the handling engine now, the harder I push to beat friend's times in races; the more I can feel all the little niggles and quirks in the engine that have occurred during development.

Despite all that though, I'm really enjoying my time with the game, even if it is frustrating at points, if only because I get to offend other people's eyes with this:

Handles wonderfully now I've figured out all the foibles with the tuning system too!
Overdue Upgrades: AMD R7 1700 | Thermalright Archon IB-E | Asrock Taichi 370X | 16GB (4x4GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX | Asus Strix Soar | Gigabyte Windforce 670 | Silverstone ST1000-PT | Silverstone Raven RV-02B V1.7 | 2x Hynix SL301 250GB RAID0 | 2x WD 3TB RED RAID0 | Lite-on Blu-ray ROM
Dell U2913WM | Sennheiser HD 518s | Microlab Solo8C Speakers | Logitech G13 | Ducky Legend (MX Blues) | Logitech G503
.//TuNdRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Apr 2016, 10:40   #34
Vault-Tec

My Ferrari.

I've not had the heart to do anything visual to it yet....

Oh yeah I was wrong too, the game does have drag !!

Ed. Loving the car Tundra. I shall spend an hour today ruining, I mean improving, my Ferrari

MUWC Winner ROTT

Last edited by Vault-Tec; 10th Apr 2016 at 11:46.
Old 10th Apr 2016, 12:08   #35
.//TuNdRa
Resident Bulldozer Guru

.//TuNdRa is a Super Spamming Saiyan.//TuNdRa is a Super Spamming Saiyan.//TuNdRa is a Super Spamming Saiyan.//TuNdRa is a Super Spamming Saiyan.//TuNdRa is a Super Spamming Saiyan.//TuNdRa is a Super Spamming Saiyan.//TuNdRa is a Super Spamming Saiyan.//TuNdRa is a Super Spamming Saiyan.//TuNdRa is a Super Spamming Saiyan.//TuNdRa is a Super Spamming Saiyan.//TuNdRa is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I figure, for the sake of anyone else looking into this game, I'll give a quick and dirty rundown on tuning in this game. It's explained better on Reddit and most of this information came from there and my own testing to verify, but as is; This should help anyone trying to figure out why cars aren't behaving how they like;

Tyres are a bit funky in this game, with all sorts of different assists going on in the background, but: Drift tyres are (generally) better. You get less speed scrubbed off in corners, and the car will turn in with more force, the higher up the drift scale you go, however, the more unstable the car becomes, in part because there's some weird delayed steer assist thing that kicks the car out after you've finished turning, most noticeable at high speed doing gentle manoeuvres through traffic. I find Mid-Drift tyres to be best personally, still giving plenty of control without the assists being strong enough to unsettle the car after I've finished turning.

Grip tyres, on the other hand, are very resistant to slides, scrubbing a lot of speed if you do manage to kick them out, and they also have some kind of braking assist built in so that they trail-brake the inside tyres when you're turning, which does tighten corners, but also costs speed.

Tyres also globally affect steering smoothing, the further you go up the drift scale being less smoothed, and the further up the grip scale; more smoothed, so very grippy tyres are very disconnected and floaty by comparison, because the wheels take a visibly longer time to go from lock to lock than Drift tyres.

Tyre pressures both affect how hard the car turns in and how easily it wants to transition into a drift, I find very drifty tyre pressures on mid-drift tyres to be best for handling without the car wanting to go 100% sideways 100% of the time, but still makes it possible to kick the back end out in a pinch if I need to tighten a corner that I can't make at speed.

Steering angle and response time are exactly as they state on the tin, you want them as high as you can get without making the car too unstable through corners. I run them maxed on Drift personally, because it gives the steering nice sharp response and little latency, but it can unsettle the car with rapid steering changes.

The assists are best set however you like them, although leaving Launch Control on is always a safe bet, since I don't think there's a single scenario in the game where you need to drift from a standstill.

Differential affects up/downhill stability and how long you need to turn in under power to kick the car into a slide, this is mostly personal preference, although I run one notch to the left of centre for the best 1/4 mile time, personally.

Downforce is the most fiddly thing in the game to get right, since it does exactly what it's meant to; applies more stability to your car at higher speeds the higher you have it set. Too high and the car will scrub and understeer through faster corners, too low and you'll get a floaty, twitchy ride that could be difficult to corner due to oversteer. I find somewhere on the grip-side of the bar works for me, but I run it differently for every single car owing to the handling difference in each.

Brake strength and Bias are self-explanatory. I would suggest running forward bias, just to make turning the car in easier, since even very strong brakes in this game take a very long time to actually stop a car.

Handbrake strength is as it says on the tin, there's no practical downside to running a weak handbrake though, since if you need to spin the car quickly; you can hit both hand and foot brakes to simulate the effect of a strong handbrake, although there is a lot of fun in a strong handbrake snapping the car into sharp slides.

Spring and Sway bar stiffness have a very subtle effect on cars, at least performance wise. I've noticed that in some extreme scenarios with very low cars having softer springs can bottom the car out and grind the underside on the floor, which leads to some very interesting bugs as the physics engine doesn't seem to quite know what to do with it, I've been to high orbit with my NSX before as a result, but generally; stiffer helps a teeny bit with throwing the car into slides, and changing direction, but it's a very subtle difference, set high if you've slammed the car, otherwise; it's not an issue. If this is seriously the limiting factor in your tune; you're pretty much at the limit of the car anyhow.

Finally; Nitrous. Duration is theoretically more efficient, since you get more burn out of each bottle and less of your total time is spent in gear changes if you're the kind of person just to mash the button till it empties, Nitrous also helps stabilise cars coming out of drifts, so that can help in some situations. Personally I run time-recovery nitrous, since Action Nitrous is only really good for drifts, and even then; You've got so little space between corners it's hardly worth using it.
Overdue Upgrades: AMD R7 1700 | Thermalright Archon IB-E | Asrock Taichi 370X | 16GB (4x4GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX | Asus Strix Soar | Gigabyte Windforce 670 | Silverstone ST1000-PT | Silverstone Raven RV-02B V1.7 | 2x Hynix SL301 250GB RAID0 | 2x WD 3TB RED RAID0 | Lite-on Blu-ray ROM
Dell U2913WM | Sennheiser HD 518s | Microlab Solo8C Speakers | Logitech G13 | Ducky Legend (MX Blues) | Logitech G503
Old 10th Apr 2016, 12:14   #36
Vault-Tec

Yeah I always tend to use my nitrous for drifting. You get higher scores the faster the drift too. Plus if you do a full burn you get rep points

I'm using grip tyres on the 'rari atm and they are a little scrubbly. The Ferrari likes to kick its ass out too, so yeah, would probably be better off on drift tyres.

MUWC Winner ROTT
Old 10th Apr 2016, 16:23   #37
.//TuNdRa
Resident Bulldozer Guru

Drifting seems to be based on how hard you cook tyres, since I've found some four-wheel drive vehicles that can light up all four corners in a slide tend to get much higher scores than their 2 wheel drive counterparts, equally; higher angles and higher speeds burn tyres harder, so it does seem to base the score off just how hard you thrash the tyres in the slide, pick up something that can do full out four-wheel drifts and it should clear events pretty easily, once it's handling how you like it.
Old 10th Apr 2016, 18:36   #38
lancer778544
isnt really an ultramodder...

lancer778544 is a Super Spamming Saiyanlancer778544 is a Super Spamming Saiyanlancer778544 is a Super Spamming Saiyanlancer778544 is a Super Spamming Saiyanlancer778544 is a Super Spamming Saiyanlancer778544 is a Super Spamming Saiyanlancer778544 is a Super Spamming Saiyanlancer778544 is a Super Spamming Saiyanlancer778544 is a Super Spamming Saiyanlancer778544 is a Super Spamming Saiyanlancer778544 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Hey Tundra, looking at your screenshot, GPU2 is not being used. SLi not enabled or doesn't the game support it?
Old 10th Apr 2016, 19:55   #39
Vault-Tec

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer778544 View Post
Hey Tundra, looking at your screenshot, GPU2 is not being used. SLi not enabled or doesn't the game support it?
I'd like to know the answer to that too, tbh. I've got a TV rig with a 760 Mars in it, would be a waste of time if SLI doesn't work.

It certainly doesn't work with Crossfire even after three new drivers since it launched.

MUWC Winner ROTT
Old 12th Apr 2016, 12:09   #40
jrduquemin
Multimodder

Is the Deluxe Edition worth the extra £15 over the cost of the DVD? Bit reluctant to spend the extra cash if it's not worth it...

I installed NFS:U2 last night for a quick blat and it seems to run ok, but the graphics are terrible and I get the perpetual loading screen after each race which means I have to crash the game to desktop, and start the game again.