What's a Dremel?

singleton99 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
done,,,,,, thanks for the email
singleton99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Sep 2016, 16:47   #22
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spreadie View Post
Yes bit-tech was breached before Hexus, but didn't find out until now - weeks later. I'd have thought, given the shared technical resource and the fact that Hexus' forum was patched weeks ago, bit tech's vulerability would have been identified and dealt with at the same time.
They're not the same vulnerability. The only way the Bit-Tech attack was discovered was when somebody found a site offering access to the leaked database. There were no signs on the server that anything had happened, and the hole the attackers had used was already patched. You're saying Bit-Tech should have been patched when the Hexus breach was discovered: it was. Trouble is, the Bit-Tech database had been leaked months earlier, and as the result of a different vulnerability in vBulletin.

If you'll permit me an illustrative example: let's say your colleague's company laptop is breached due to a flaw in Windows. The breach is discovered and all company laptops patched to prevent another leak. Months earlier, unbeknownst anyone, a completely different flaw in Windows was used to steal data from your company laptop. The attacker left no trace. What could the shared IT staff have done between the discovery that your colleague's laptop was hacked and the discovery that your laptop was hacked to protect you? Nothing, short of building a time machine.

Remember, we're talking about an attacker who took a dump of the database. They haven't been in the system lurking since January: they got in, took the data, and left without trace. The vulnerability used will have been patched when vBulletin was updated, but by then it was too late: the attacker is locked out, but already has the data.

Quote:
I understand bit's breach was back in January, but why wasn't it discovered until now, when the staff were aware of the vulnerability since early August?
Again: two different attacks, two different vulnerabilities. To descend into metaphor for a moment: you find out your next-door-neighbour was broken into thanks to a flaw in their lock which allows anyone to open and lock it again wthout leaving a trace. You use the same lock, so both you and your neighbour replace it with an updated version that fixes the flaw. Trouble is, months earlier someone broke into your house, photocopied your bank statements, and left. Neither the knowledge you have gained from your neighbour nor the new lock can prevent that: it has already happened, and the only way you'll know is if you find your bank statements for sale on some Tor site somewhere.

You refer to "the vulnerability". There is no one vulnerability here, and the vulnerability used to breach Hexus was patched in Bit-Tech as soon as the patch became available - which, if I'm understanding you, is what you believe should have happened. Even if both breaches used the same vulnerability, patching the hole in August doesn't prevent the attacker from gaining access in January.

Quote:
Both sites share the same technical staff.
Yes, and those technical staff kept vBulletin up to date with security patches on both sites. Trouble is, there's a window between the discovery and exploitation of a flaw and a patch being made available.

(Apologies for any mistakes - I'm on my phone.)
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Sep 2016, 16:55   #23
David
RIP Tel

David is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Halfacree View Post
They're not the same vulnerability.
That's all I needed to know. Thanks.

Main rig - 6700K|Z170|32GB|256GB M.2|500GB SSDs|8TB NAS|980 Ti|3007WFP-HC|Parvum S2.0
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Sep 2016, 16:58   #24
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
That's all I needed to know. Thanks.
If I'd known that, I could have saved myself considerable wrestling with autocorrect!
Old 7th Sep 2016, 17:16   #25
David
RIP Tel

David is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
If I'd known that, I could have saved myself considerable wrestling with autocorrect!
I forget that you're permanently stuck in verbose mode.

Main rig - 6700K|Z170|32GB|256GB M.2|500GB SSDs|8TB NAS|980 Ti|3007WFP-HC|Parvum S2.0
Old 7th Sep 2016, 18:08   #26
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Quote:
I CAN QUIT WHENEVER I WANT, DAMMIT.
Old 7th Sep 2016, 20:13   #27
Isitari
Supermodder

Isitari is a Super Spamming SaiyanIsitari is a Super Spamming SaiyanIsitari is a Super Spamming SaiyanIsitari is a Super Spamming SaiyanIsitari is a Super Spamming SaiyanIsitari is a Super Spamming SaiyanIsitari is a Super Spamming SaiyanIsitari is a Super Spamming SaiyanIsitari is a Super Spamming SaiyanIsitari is a Super Spamming SaiyanIsitari is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Thanks for the heads up and might explain why someone got into my rockstar account recently (lol nothing there), I got in before any damage was caused. So I went around a few places (including here) changing passwords. Thankfully only used my crap passwords on these sites as it's all non-critical. Though it might have been someone brute forcing the password instead but I've never had it happen before with any other online account.

Sent from my SM-N915FY using Tapatalk
Isitari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Sep 2016, 21:22   #28
tristanperry
Hypermodder

tristanperry is a Super Spamming Saiyantristanperry is a Super Spamming Saiyantristanperry is a Super Spamming Saiyantristanperry is a Super Spamming Saiyantristanperry is a Super Spamming Saiyantristanperry is a Super Spamming Saiyantristanperry is a Super Spamming Saiyantristanperry is a Super Spamming Saiyantristanperry is a Super Spamming Saiyantristanperry is a Super Spamming Saiyantristanperry is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Done; thanks for the email, I probably would have overlooked this thread to be honest.
Old 8th Sep 2016, 11:24   #29
boiled_elephant
Whitelist Bit-Tech in your adblock!

boiled_elephant is a Super Spamming Saiyanboiled_elephant is a Super Spamming Saiyanboiled_elephant is a Super Spamming Saiyanboiled_elephant is a Super Spamming Saiyanboiled_elephant is a Super Spamming Saiyanboiled_elephant is a Super Spamming Saiyanboiled_elephant is a Super Spamming Saiyanboiled_elephant is a Super Spamming Saiyanboiled_elephant is a Super Spamming Saiyanboiled_elephant is a Super Spamming Saiyanboiled_elephant is a Super Spamming Saiyan
+rep for that link, apparently my data was also in the Adobe breach, so...yeah, time to start changing passwords. Again.

edit- lol, that rep power, he went from zero to hero instantly.
boiled_elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Sep 2016, 15:27   #30
Fingers66
Kiwi in London

Fingers66 is a Super Spamming SaiyanFingers66 is a Super Spamming SaiyanFingers66 is a Super Spamming SaiyanFingers66 is a Super Spamming SaiyanFingers66 is a Super Spamming SaiyanFingers66 is a Super Spamming SaiyanFingers66 is a Super Spamming SaiyanFingers66 is a Super Spamming SaiyanFingers66 is a Super Spamming SaiyanFingers66 is a Super Spamming SaiyanFingers66 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I CAN QUIT WHENEVER I WANT, DAMMIT.
As a journo, he gets paid by the word, hard habit to break
NAS 1:[Synology DS211j] NAS 2:[Homebrew OMV]
Fingers66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Sep 2016, 15:31   #31
B1GBUD
More Biddy Bang Bang than Sean Paul

B1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_white View Post
You can check your e-mail address for other forum/website breaches at https://haveibeenpwned.com/
I'm clean.... C L E A N !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiled_elephant View Post
+rep for that link, apparently my data was also in the Adobe breach, so...yeah, time to start changing passwords. Again.

edit- lol, that rep power, he went from zero to hero instantly.
Awww... reminds me when Tel used to drop the rep bomb , it's proper broken but I don't want it to changed lol
Old 8th Sep 2016, 16:46   #32
theshadow2001
[DELETE] means [DELETE]

theshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitari View Post
Thanks for the heads up and might explain why someone got into my rockstar account recently (lol nothing there), I got in before any damage was caused. So I went around a few places (including here) changing passwords. Thankfully only used my crap passwords on these sites as it's all non-critical. Though it might have been someone brute forcing the password instead but I've never had it happen before with any other online account.

Sent from my SM-N915FY using Tapatalk
You know the exact same thing happened to my own rockstar account. I had a different password from bit - tech though.
theshadow2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Sep 2016, 20:00   #33
modd1uk
Mod Master

modd1uk is a Super Spamming Saiyanmodd1uk is a Super Spamming Saiyanmodd1uk is a Super Spamming Saiyanmodd1uk is a Super Spamming Saiyanmodd1uk is a Super Spamming Saiyanmodd1uk is a Super Spamming Saiyanmodd1uk is a Super Spamming Saiyanmodd1uk is a Super Spamming Saiyanmodd1uk is a Super Spamming Saiyanmodd1uk is a Super Spamming Saiyanmodd1uk is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I had no email
Quote:
There you are, then! Buy 100, take two, eBay a bundle of 98 at 70% the price of the 100-bag bundles, spend the profit on ale and whores.
modd1uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Sep 2016, 20:16   #34
CrapBag
I Mod, Therefore I Own

CrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Nor me, changed mine due to see this thread.
CrapBag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Sep 2016, 22:48   #35
FuzzyOne

FuzzyOne - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!FuzzyOne - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!FuzzyOne - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!FuzzyOne - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!FuzzyOne - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!FuzzyOne - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!FuzzyOne - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!FuzzyOne - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!FuzzyOne - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!FuzzyOne - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!FuzzyOne - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Lastpass saves the day! (again)
♖♘♗♕♔♗♘♖
FuzzyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Sep 2016, 23:52   #36
David
RIP Tel

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyOne View Post
Lastpass saves the day! (again)
Is this the same LastPass that has been breached twice in the last five years? The vault hasn't been emptied as yet - maybe testament to it's resilience...

Personally, I think a central web-based resource for all your passwords is a bad idea - I don't care what encryption strength they claim, nothing is impregnable.

Old 9th Sep 2016, 00:18   #37
CrapBag
I Mod, Therefore I Own

CrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Yeh some remote password storing system, hmm count me out.
CrapBag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Sep 2016, 01:36   #38
Bindibadgi
Am I out of touch?

Bindibadgi is a Super Spamming SaiyanBindibadgi is a Super Spamming SaiyanBindibadgi is a Super Spamming SaiyanBindibadgi is a Super Spamming SaiyanBindibadgi is a Super Spamming SaiyanBindibadgi is a Super Spamming SaiyanBindibadgi is a Super Spamming SaiyanBindibadgi is a Super Spamming SaiyanBindibadgi is a Super Spamming SaiyanBindibadgi is a Super Spamming SaiyanBindibadgi is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Is this the same LastPass that has been breached twice in the last five years? The vault hasn't been emptied as yet - maybe testament to it's resilience...

Personally, I think a central web-based resource for all your passwords is a bad idea - I don't care what encryption strength they claim, nothing is impregnable.
Exactly.

Written down works for me. If someone is willing to come into my house and find that then they have an agenda more than just posting under my forum name.
Old 11th Sep 2016, 20:25   #39
deathtaker27
Probook Addict

deathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Any chance of us getting an SSL Certificate after this breach?
deathtaker27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Sep 2016, 20:34   #40
theshadow2001
[DELETE] means [DELETE]

theshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Its coming in the new forum apparently
theshadow2001 is offline   Reply With Quote