bit-tech.net

Old 25th Oct 2016, 13:56   #1
Dogbert666
I benchmark, therefore I am.
bit-tech Staff

Dogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Delayed GTX 1050 Ti Review

Hi all,

Today you'll see various GTX 1050 and GTX 1050 Ti reviews go live across the web. Unfortunately, we will not be able to post ours today.

Just over two weeks ago, our GPU test system's CPU completely died. I immediately went to work sourcing a replacement CPU and motherboard in order to retest cards (which needed doing anyway), since a new system would invalidate all the old results.

Sadly, we were marred by shipping delays but I was eventually told the CPU would arrive yesterday. I came to work armed with my overnight kit ready to work through the night and hit the NDA but the CPU still had not arrived. Unbelievably, our GTX 1050 Ti sample was also lost by a courier, so even if the CPU had arrived I would not have been able to review it for today. I was still at least hoping to get the system up and running and rebench older cards, but alas.

Firstly, I want to apologise for this. I did everything I could but it still sucks that we won't be able to go live on launch day.

Still, as far as I know, I should be able to get everything up and running this week. However, I wanted to ask your thoughts on whether I prioritise getting the review up ASAP i.e. with the current selection of games (DX11 - Fallout 4, Witcher 3, The Division; DX12 - Ashes, Hitman, Total War: Warhammer), or take the time to add in new benchmarks.

I would like to add 3DMark Time Spy, Deus Ex, Doom and Battlefield 1 to the suite, for example. In the interest of time/sanity, I'll still be keeping the selection of games at six total, so some will have to be dropped. Also looking at moving to having one or two DX11 games and four or five DX12 instead of the current three/three split.

I am heavily leaning towards using the opportunity to take a bit of extra time to add in new benchmarks since we've missed the launch anyway and a new system is the perfect time to do so, but still happy to hear your thoughts!
Dogbert666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Oct 2016, 14:08   #2
noizdaemon666
I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

noizdaemon666 is a Super Spamming Saiyannoizdaemon666 is a Super Spamming Saiyannoizdaemon666 is a Super Spamming Saiyannoizdaemon666 is a Super Spamming Saiyannoizdaemon666 is a Super Spamming Saiyannoizdaemon666 is a Super Spamming Saiyannoizdaemon666 is a Super Spamming Saiyannoizdaemon666 is a Super Spamming Saiyannoizdaemon666 is a Super Spamming Saiyannoizdaemon666 is a Super Spamming Saiyannoizdaemon666 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I'd drop Ashes and Hitman adding Battlefield 1 and 3DMark Time Spy. I'd also prefer a slight delay with new benchmarks added than a rushed out review with "older" benchmarks.

/2 penneth
noizdaemon666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Oct 2016, 14:31   #3
David
RIP Tel

David is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Which one of the Bit Tech team ran over the Witch Doctor's cat?

Answers on a postcard to:

Matt
666 Dogbert Street
Suckstobeme
NE14 10S

Main rig - 6700K|Z170|32GB|256GB M.2|500GB SSDs|8TB NAS|980 Ti|3007WFP-HC|Parvum S2.0

Last edited by David; 25th Oct 2016 at 15:19. Reason: typo
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Oct 2016, 14:51   #4
MadGinga
I *am* a Dremel

MadGinga is a Super Spamming SaiyanMadGinga is a Super Spamming SaiyanMadGinga is a Super Spamming SaiyanMadGinga is a Super Spamming SaiyanMadGinga is a Super Spamming SaiyanMadGinga is a Super Spamming SaiyanMadGinga is a Super Spamming SaiyanMadGinga is a Super Spamming SaiyanMadGinga is a Super Spamming SaiyanMadGinga is a Super Spamming SaiyanMadGinga is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I would be happy with a delay to the review.
Games/benchmark-wise - you're the expert!
MadGinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Oct 2016, 15:14   #5
Dogbert666
bit-tech Staff

Dogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
3DMark Time Spy will be added without replacing anything since it's synthetic. Will be keeping six actual games. Pretty sure Ashes will be dropped.
Old 25th Oct 2016, 15:15   #6
Dogbert666
bit-tech Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spreadie View Post
Which one of the Bit Tech team ran over the Wicth Doctor's cat?

Answers on a postcard to:

Matt
666 Dogbert Street
Suckstobeme
NE14 10S

D:
Old 25th Oct 2016, 16:47   #7
theshadow2001
[DELETE] means [DELETE]

theshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Do whatever will get you the most sweet sweet clicks. mmmmmm clickalicious.

But since you can't make the NDA, it makes more sense to do all the work you want and post rather than posting it and updating it as you'll unfortunately miss that initial big end of NDA rush anyway.
theshadow2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Oct 2016, 21:42   #8
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by theshadow2001 View Post
Do whatever will get you the most sweet sweet clicks. mmmmmm clickalicious.
This guy knows what's up.

Personally, I'd like to see something other than gaming added, just out of interest. Summat like cryptocurrency mining, or scientific distributed computing like Folding@Home. Something relatively easily done (install the client, run a benchmark, write down the number) and by no means the focus of the review, 'cos most people are buying the things to play games, but I think it'd add a certain something.
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Oct 2016, 14:45   #9
Vault-Tec
Green Plastic Watering Can

Vault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming Saiyan
From what I've seen they're pretty disappointing any way. If you own a 950 or 960 then simply don't bother.

MUWC Winner ROTT
Vault-Tec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Oct 2016, 14:56   #10
Bindibadgi
Am I out of touch?

Bindibadgi is a Super Spamming SaiyanBindibadgi is a Super Spamming SaiyanBindibadgi is a Super Spamming SaiyanBindibadgi is a Super Spamming SaiyanBindibadgi is a Super Spamming SaiyanBindibadgi is a Super Spamming SaiyanBindibadgi is a Super Spamming SaiyanBindibadgi is a Super Spamming SaiyanBindibadgi is a Super Spamming SaiyanBindibadgi is a Super Spamming SaiyanBindibadgi is a Super Spamming Saiyan
How the hell did you kill a processor? Other than physical damage can't say I've ever killed one when it was in the board.
Old 27th Oct 2016, 17:41   #11
Dogbert666
bit-tech Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindibadgi View Post
How the hell did you kill a processor? Other than physical damage can't say I've ever killed one when it was in the board.
Stake through the heart, of course.

Actually, I got a random CPU overvoltage error, went into BIOS and vcore was red and reading almost 2V, then everything froze before I could power off and that was that - complete inability to POST after that. Tried on multiple boards etc.

And yeah, everyone has said how insanely unlikely that is. Still, Baz will be happy to confirm my Midas-like ability to kill hardware