bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Technology > Software

Old 3rd Jan 2017, 18:11   #1
Dopeyman
Multimodder

Dopeyman is a Super Spamming SaiyanDopeyman is a Super Spamming SaiyanDopeyman is a Super Spamming SaiyanDopeyman is a Super Spamming SaiyanDopeyman is a Super Spamming SaiyanDopeyman is a Super Spamming SaiyanDopeyman is a Super Spamming SaiyanDopeyman is a Super Spamming SaiyanDopeyman is a Super Spamming SaiyanDopeyman is a Super Spamming SaiyanDopeyman is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Windows 10 licence

Evening everyone,

I've just bought everything for a major upgrade cpu, mobo, ram and m.2 for OS, so will be having a fresh install of windows 10. On my previous system I did the windows 7 upgrade.

Do I now need to purchase a new copy or can I still use my w7 key?

I have tried googling it but can only find conflicting answers.

Thanks in advance.
Old 3rd Jan 2017, 18:26   #2
bulldogjeff
The modding head is firmly back on.

bulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Yep you'll need a new licence. The upgrade is tied into the mobo. It maybe a case that you can ring microsoft and quote your original code and get it reactivated, but I'm taking a guess at that one.

Last edited by bulldogjeff; 3rd Jan 2017 at 19:15.
bulldogjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Jan 2017, 18:39   #3
Dopeyman
Multimodder

Dopeyman is a Super Spamming SaiyanDopeyman is a Super Spamming SaiyanDopeyman is a Super Spamming SaiyanDopeyman is a Super Spamming SaiyanDopeyman is a Super Spamming SaiyanDopeyman is a Super Spamming SaiyanDopeyman is a Super Spamming SaiyanDopeyman is a Super Spamming SaiyanDopeyman is a Super Spamming SaiyanDopeyman is a Super Spamming SaiyanDopeyman is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Ok cheers I'll give it a go, it's got to be worth a try.
Old 3rd Jan 2017, 19:13   #4
phuzz
This is a title

phuzz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.phuzz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.phuzz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.phuzz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.phuzz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.phuzz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.phuzz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.phuzz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.phuzz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.phuzz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.phuzz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I had a similar problem, so I had to ring Microsoft. They couldn't get my original product keys to validate (it had been upgraded from Vista to 7 to 8 then to 10), but I did get a discount so it was only 40 for a new license.
phuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Jan 2017, 20:49   #5
Mr_Mistoffelees
More Spanners Please.

Mr_Mistoffelees is a Super Spamming SaiyanMr_Mistoffelees is a Super Spamming SaiyanMr_Mistoffelees is a Super Spamming SaiyanMr_Mistoffelees is a Super Spamming SaiyanMr_Mistoffelees is a Super Spamming SaiyanMr_Mistoffelees is a Super Spamming SaiyanMr_Mistoffelees is a Super Spamming SaiyanMr_Mistoffelees is a Super Spamming SaiyanMr_Mistoffelees is a Super Spamming SaiyanMr_Mistoffelees is a Super Spamming SaiyanMr_Mistoffelees is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I recently replaced motherboard, CPU and RAM, following a motherboard failure. I used the online chat facility and, after much faffing and requesting proof of purchase for the motherboard, they eventually supplied me with a new licence at no cost. Always worth a try.
Old 3rd Jan 2017, 21:16   #6
CrapBag
I Mod, Therefore I Own

CrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Changed my lads, mobo, cpu and ram a few days ago, windows failed to activate, 10 mins of faff free online chatting and was told to use his old win 7 key and activated straight away.
CrapBag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Jan 2017, 23:29   #7
Dopeyman
Multimodder

Nice one, thanks everyone. Hopefully I will stand a chance of it working then. I'll download w10 to a usb and go from there.
Old 4th Jan 2017, 23:08   #8
Dopeyman
Multimodder

So I've started the rebuild, in a new case ive put in mobo, cpu, ram and m.2. Fired it up, installed windows and reused my w7 key. Activated straight away so that's a happy result!
Old 5th Jan 2017, 21:39   #9
Behemoth
Timelord in training

Behemoth is a Super Spamming SaiyanBehemoth is a Super Spamming SaiyanBehemoth is a Super Spamming SaiyanBehemoth is a Super Spamming SaiyanBehemoth is a Super Spamming SaiyanBehemoth is a Super Spamming SaiyanBehemoth is a Super Spamming SaiyanBehemoth is a Super Spamming SaiyanBehemoth is a Super Spamming SaiyanBehemoth is a Super Spamming SaiyanBehemoth is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I'm assuming your Windows 7 key was a retail key ? If so thats why it activated on the new build without any hassle at all.

With that said I've put various different OEM keys on different hardware configurations and they have always activated fine even when used on a different motherboard.
|Dell Latitude E6320|Intel Core i5 2520m 2.5 GHz|8 Gig of RAM|
Behemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jan 2017, 17:44   #10
Dopeyman
Multimodder

Yes it was, I'm getting my money's worth from that. Got it when w7 came out 8 odd years ago!
Old 7th Jan 2017, 07:38   #11
badermans
What's a Dremel?

badermans has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
You still can upgrade windows 10 from 7 fro free. I just read this:
http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/w...wnload-upgrade

You could give it a go. Least then you wont have to pay for it
badermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jan 2017, 10:27   #12
noizdaemon666
I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

noizdaemon666 is a Super Spamming Saiyannoizdaemon666 is a Super Spamming Saiyannoizdaemon666 is a Super Spamming Saiyannoizdaemon666 is a Super Spamming Saiyannoizdaemon666 is a Super Spamming Saiyannoizdaemon666 is a Super Spamming Saiyannoizdaemon666 is a Super Spamming Saiyannoizdaemon666 is a Super Spamming Saiyannoizdaemon666 is a Super Spamming Saiyannoizdaemon666 is a Super Spamming Saiyannoizdaemon666 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by badermans View Post
You still can upgrade windows 10 from 7 fro free. I just read this:
http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/w...wnload-upgrade

You could give it a go. Least then you wont have to pay for it
Easier to clean install 10 and input the Windows 7 key.
noizdaemon666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Feb 2017, 15:52   #13
killingit
Minimodder

killingit has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Just to add to this, you can now tie your Windows license to a Microsoft account. So, in the event that you're going to reformat your PC, you can just readily have it activated using the medium.
killingit is offline   Reply With Quote