1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Police want to view my CCTV.

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Ozzie, 14 Aug 2015.

1. Ozzie

Ozzie Fork 'andles I wanted

The police called today asking if they could view my CCTV. I don't have any objection to that but was going to hospital and they agreed to come back Monday.

I thought I would have a look at it myself and found I could only play it at normal speed, no fast forward which if they still wanted to do it would take hours.

I have not given a great deal of details as I don't know what is relevant and could be waffling on for pages so I thought it best to wait for questions OS is Win7 for starters.

2. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

If you are happy to let them look at it let them worry about it.

3. Ozzie

I am happy for them to look at it but don't really want them here for hours, would aslo like the solution for my own benefit.

4. theshadow2001

What system are you using. What format is the footage in. Where are the files stored

5. dynamis_dk

dynamis_dk Grr... Grumpy!!

If its on a PC, isn't it an option to copy it off for them to review?

I'm pretty sure in this day and age you can get something like media player classic to play it back. If you know where the recording is stored, download an app called 'gspot' and drag the file into it - will tell you what its recording format it.

6. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

If it's a relatively standard media file, then you can play it back using VLC. VLC has options to adjust playback speed.

Also, if it's just a media file could you copy it of to a DVD-ROM, then let them take the file and do whatever they want with it? Do they have to be present to watch it?

7. keir

keir S p i t F i r e

I'm sure they'll just make a copy and go.

8. Ozzie

Thanks for the replies. The files are on a dedicated HDD. They can be watched using the CCTV software on the PC but only at normal speed which is not very practical.

VLC or anything else I can find will not play them from the HDD. This relates to a post I made a while back regarding the Codec ZMP5. I can copy what they require to A DVD or they can if they wish but do not think that they will be able to read it.

Initially they asked me to look through footage from 3pm to 4pm yesterday which took me the hour, I could see nothing of any relevance and told them so. They said they would like to see it anyway, fine they are the detectives not me. they are now talking about the last few days of video which is a differen ball game.

I have had 6 visits so far plus phone calls and am starting to wish I had told them it was turned off.

If they can do it with Teamviewer I have no objections, I may suggest that.

9. Ozzie

I would imagine that the person sent to look at it will be clued up on all CCTV systems and will be able to find what they reqire. That's what I hope anyway.

10. theshadow2001

Can you download the software for playing it? Perhaps you could just copy the executable or installer along with the files and give the lot to them.

On a side note, its probably best to look at a new system, should anything happen to your own property it would probably be an advantage to have that sort of functionality

11. theshadow2001

What about putting some screen capturing software on the computer. Leave it playing for the periods they want and give them the copy the screen capture makes.

12. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

I'm willing to bet that the ZMP5 is just a container file for whatever video codec the CCTV software is actually using. I wonder if Handbrake can read it and transcode it to something more friendly.

13. Ozzie

Thanks, it is a new system which I have almost got right but it is complicated to set up and do exactly what I want. I am not at the same level as the guys on this forum.

14. Ozzie

That is what I was prepared to do if they want a one hour time frame but not if a few days.

15. Ozzie

I would like to think that is the case but you are going beyond my level of understanding of these things. I am always pleased to learn but "container file" and "Handbrake" mean nothing to me. Any explanation would be appreciated.

16. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Judging bya quick google I strongly suspect it is possible to view or transcode using some combination of DirectShow filters in Avisynth or VDubMod, albeit with a bit of playing around.
    That said, this thread is on the first page of results if you google "ZMP5": http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?p=3847706 :)
    I don't s'pose you have a short sample file you could share so someone else could have a play?
    It might be the best chance of getting a solution if you want to stick with the system. It seems deeply unuseful not being able to change the playback speed on a CCTV recording.

17. Ozzie

The ideal result as long as they can read it.

18. Ozzie

"Can you download the software for playing it? Perhaps you could just copy the executable or installer along with the files and give the lot to them"

I have the software to play it but it will only do so in real time which is my point, if it will not fast forward then they will be looking at hours of nothing happening until the cows come home:))

19. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

What sort of (craptastic) software are you running? Brand/model?

20. Digerati

Digerati Minimodder

I think you should leave it alone! Clearly, the police think there might be some sort of evidence on it. So leave it before something happens and they give you the evil eye for tampering with evidence.