1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Is a 128gb SSD enough?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GeorgeStorm, 24 Jan 2012.

1. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

As above basically, I'm having a bit of a move around computer wise, and I'm upgrading my media pc to become me new main pc after selling my current one.
    I'm considering using just a 128gb C300 as my boot/everything drive, would this be enough?

This is with all media on 4 2tb drives also in the PC.
    So would just be OS, games, programs etc on the SSD.
    I'd then put my OCZ Core V2 30gb SSD in my laptop, since I don't do a lot on there apart from browse, and it would hopefully make it a little snappier :)
    Other option is to use the OCZ as my boot drive, then use the C300 for programs/games.
    But then I think the PC would feel slower, since the OCZ is a slower SSD in comparison to the C300.

I also have a 64gb C300, but was thinking of selling that to go towards funding my upgrades to the media pc (2 new 2tb drives, new psu, new gpu)
    Opinions?

2. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

Really only you can answer if it is big enough for your usage scenario. However 120/128gb size point is usually the minimum baseline for best performance, though most are optimized for best performance at 256gb+. Using a small drive for boot and a larger newer drive for static data would be a waste. That needs to be the other way around.

I am looking to step up to larger drive as well, as I keep running into issues with some of these newer games pushing 30gb size requirements... let alone the higher iops that come with 120gb+ drives. Doing lots of homework on what is around now, and also around the corner for next quarter.

3. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

I wouldn't consider it enough. I'm waiting for reasonable prices on 512GB SSD's before thinking of buying one.
    I couldn't care less about boot speed since my PC goes to sleep more often than it ever actually gets turned off. Fast data read and write are what SSD's are good for and if it can't actually store enough data to make a difference it's worthless.

4. microsoftPerson

microsoftPerson What's a Dremel?

I bet you'll be waiting for quite a while Tangster but I wish for that day to come ASAP as well. On the other hand, I find 64GB is enough to shred at least 10 minutes off of a long work day in the time saved opening/closing various production programs. 6 or 7 seconds here and there really add up. Also - when you have the ability to open programs so quickly it becomes less of a pain to close all the programs other than the one you are using to dedicate RAM/CPU for renders.

All on ~45GB: Windows 7, Microsoft Office, Steam & Counter Strike 1.6, Illustrator, Photoshop, Flash, Cinema 4D, FTP programs, several websites, quite a few files/renders. Of course... you can still have your HDD. A few settings were changed to make my Windows installation smaller but I also still have super-fast hibernation enabled which is great for my laptop.

5. KryptiK

KryptiK What's a Dremel?

Simple answer is yes,
    because 128Gb is enough for the OS + a few games + a few applications and your 4x2TB should be used for general files/media. You could also get a mobo that supports SSD as a cache and make your 8TB feel like a huge SSD.

I personally only have a OCZ Vertex 3 60GB as main drive and a 1TB as general storage and this setup works great on my budget.

6. richythomas

richythomas Minimodder

I've been using a Crucial C300 128GB SSD in my main desktop computer for a year and a half now and it's been more than adequate except that I installed Steam and all games onto a 300GB WD Velociraptor (this will change as I've bought a 240GB SSD). All personal data is on a 1TB Samsung HDD.

Windows 7 HP with all of its updates, Visual Studio Professional 2010, Adobe Web Premium CS5, Microsoft Office Plus 2010 (inc. Visio and Project) as well as a number of other utilities and I have around 50GB free. The same applications are on my laptop and that is running with 35GB free from a Corsair F120 SSD but that does have some data stored on it too and a second profile for my wife with her storing some data on it too.

As others have said only you can decide whether 120GB is enough for your own circumstances.

7. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

My desktop has a single 120GB Vertex 2E and I find it enough for general use + a few games.

I do sometimes wish it was bigger but I have most of my Steam games on an external HD so they can be loaded in 15 minutes or so if required.

I am waiting for 240/256GB SSD's to drop below the £200 mark so I can upgrade though. The 120GB will then be solely used as a Steam drive again with games loaded Ad Hoc.

I should note that all of my media, documents & misc downloads are on my NAS so my system drives only have to deal with the OS, programs, system downloads (drivers etc) and games.

8. GeorgeStorm

I've currently got a 64gbC300, and a 640gb WD drive,
    Got 15gb left on the SSD, and 510 (out of 596 usable) left on the WD.

So I reckon the 128gb will be enough for me
    I don't have many games that I play, and can uninstall/reinstall games if needed, since I tend to go through phases of playing them.
    Thanks for the advice :)

9. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

Steam mover is your friend!

Ive got loads of games installed but only a choice few on the ssd itself. Steam mover is so useful.

10. GeorgeStorm

My aim is to only install things on the SSD, otherwise I'll end up picking another HDD probably, my OCD won't let me install stuff onto the 2tbs, they're media drives :p

11. j4mi3

j4mi3 What's a Dremel?

yes if you plan to put applications as well as os on it, imo that is the minimum

i regret very much buying a 64gb ssd instead of a bigger one, i can only put like 5 or 6 big apps on it as well as windows

12. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

I'm using a 64GB SSD with Windows, League of Legends, Battlefield 3 and all my programs (photoshop etc) on it. 10GB or so left over.

13. yassarikhan786

yassarikhan786 Ultramodder(Not)

I've got all my games on a HDD, with the OS and a few essential programs on the SSD.

14. Cleggmeister

Cleggmeister Of reasonable knowledge...

Yep, 128 is fine for your OS and apps, plus a few games if you like. I've been running a 120GB SSd for a couple of years and never used more than 50%.

15. mystvearn

mystvearn any-may

How about an OCZ synapse? Its not an SSD. More like a huge cache

16. donok

donok Every Little Helps .....

I waited until I saved up more £ and in that time prices fell alot. Then I got a 256gb SSD and I use it for everything on my pc. Windows, office, games. Recent documents, photos etc. the rest is in a Synology nas unit which houses 3x 3tb Hdds with 2 spaces empty. This runs off my wired network so is pretty fast. I can watch a hd movie via nas both upstairs and downstairs simultaneously.

I choose this way for Afew reasons.
    - small pc case due to lack of internal HDD
    - raid redundancy on the nas drive
    - remote login to access files.
    - I will also be using it for CCTV as soon as I get brave enough to mount the camera outside up the ladder.

17. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

Oh, to sum up my research... for current available, the mushkin Chronos Deluxe is a top contender. Yes, expensive, but sandforce controller and 32nm Toshiba async toggle nand is a pretty good combo with potential for 560mb/s and 90,000 iops. It may not be king of the hill in raw performance, but a decent price point and 32nm toggle nand is a HUGE point over much of the (affordable) competition.

For next gen OCZ looks like they have some potentially interesting cards up their sleeve with a new indilinx controller with a speculated 115,000 iops pushing 590mb/s. It's hard to speculate on next gen real world performance advantages, but it is just around the corner...

18. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

This roughly, but I don't game.

I run a 120Gb OCZ with Win 7, Office, Adobe CS5 Master collection, few different browsers, then your generic iTunes, CD burning software ect and I still have 50Gb left.