1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage HDD controller for RAID

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kanutex, 14 Sep 2015.

1. Kanutex

Kanutex What's a Dremel?

Hi guys, I have 16 x WD NAS Red 4TB Sata 3 and I'd like to do a RAID 5. Which is the best RAID controller for that? Any thoughts? Thanks!

2. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

Are you planning on running it in a standard case or do you have a case with hot swap backplanes?
    I'd also be pretty nervous if you wanted to make this one big array - either go raid 6 or split it into 2-3 arrays with a shared hot spare.

Most raid cards have the multi-lane SAS connectors, which you can either break out into 4x SATA/SAS or connect right to a backplane. Some backplanes might also have SAS expanders, which means you might be able to get away with a card having only 2 Multi lane connectors.

If the data is really important to you, make sure the system is on a UPS that can take the load long enough for a clean shutdown.

3. PocketDemon

PocketDemon Modder

Obviously it all depends upon budget as to what options there are, as 'the best' is going to be *very* expensive.

Now, when i was pricing around options for connecting 24-29 drives via SAS in the UK ~6 months ago, it was much cheaper to buy an expander than either a raid card which could do enough drives or a case with an expander backplane.

So, looking at 'good enough', d.t. cost (plus already owning one of the cards could swap it in 'if' one failed), i bought a 2nd hand 9260-8i for £125 delivered (+ a new BBU separately) - as they're decent cards & i could find nothing comparable for the money...

(if i'd had a larger budget then, whilst still not 'the best', i would have gone for a 9271-8i - & you don't necessarily *need* an 8i card, so could potentially price on a 4i one instead)

...along with a Chenbro CK23601 as an expander (as it better suited my needs both now & if i wanted to slave another one in a 2nd case), but if money's tight then you 'could' read up on the HP 24 port expanders as they're often cheap (less than £100 vs ~£300 new for the Chenbro) on eBay.

(whilst old this page would be a good starting place - & the most important thing is the f/w it comes with)

This, however, is just what i chose to do based upon my budget & usage needs - & gives an idea of how i would have altered my spending if there'd been a couple of hundred pounds more or less in my budget at the time.

Otherwise, it 'should' go without saying that you need to remember that raid is not backup - but as it's not been said yet then just mentioning it so that it's in the thread.

[Edit]

Just reread what i'd written, & i am using the original 2960-8i, that i bought in 2009, in another machine - so the bit about swapping in was about there being an advantage for me in having two cards that were compatible with one another, rather than suggesting that you *needed* to have a spare to hand.

Last edited: 15 Sep 2015
  4. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

I have the 9260-8i in my server, and it's been brilliant so far.

5. Xlog

Xlog Minimodder

I'd say go with ZFS(or btrfs if you like experimenting) and RAIDZ2/3, maybe use one hdd as hot spare, RAID5 with 4TB disks (and 16 of them) is just asking for trouble. If you want to stick with hardware raid - at least get a controller supporting raid50/60 (previously mentioned 9260-8i does support it) and use that.

6. PocketDemon

PocketDemon Modder

mis-post.