1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Who to trust for 12volt readings?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Red 5, 30 Mar 2011.

1. Red 5

Red 5 What's a Dremel?

Hello peeps. I've not been in here for a while but I still read the main site every day. Anyway, I'd like some advice, if I may be so bold.

I'm finally getting around to sorting out my graphic corruption, after literally years of problems, non-problems, driver installations, drivers refusing to install, process disabling and expired warranties, in various orders. I've always put my issues down to the graphics card and/or it's drivers, and I've finally decided to do something about it and replace the card.

Looking around, however, some people with similar issues have been advised they have a dodgy card, others a dodgy power supply, so I'm looking to eliminate the power supply, though without any spares to change over. Thinking I'd get some 12 volt readings to see if that's an issue via the 6 pin PCIe connector, I've ended up with three different figures from three different places:

My BIOS says 12v is at 11.92 (Yay)
    CPUID Hardware Monitor says 12v is at 11.65 (Um, okay)
    SpeedFan says 12v is at 11.30 (Crumbs)

Which, if any, of these should I trust? The figures in both CPUID Hardware Monitor and SpeedFan haven't twitched through whatever tests I've run (Prime95, SuperPi, game running), even when the corruption has kicked in, if that means anything. CPU and memory are stable too. If I get an idea one way or the other as to whether the power's good or not then I hope I can learn which item to replace and have done with it.

Specs:
    CPU: Intel Core2 Quad Q9550 2.8Ghz (stock & proven reliable)
    Motherboard: Asus P5Q Pro
    RAM: 4GB Corsair DDR2 400Mhz (stock & proven reliable)
    Graphics card: Sapphire ATI HD4850 512MB Dual Slot (stock, expired warranty)
    Power supply: BeQuiet Dark Power Pro 550 (warranty still valid)
    Operating system: Vista Home Premium 64bit (all patched up)
    Other: Motherboard BIOS and all drivers up to date, as far as I'm aware.

If you need to know anything else, just ask. Thanks for any advice.

---------------------------------------------------------

TLDR: Out of my BIOS, CPUID Hardware Monitor & SpeedFan, which, if any, should I trust for a voltage reading?

Last edited: 30 Mar 2011
  2. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

none. software is a guesstimate at best. get a real multi meter and take the readings.

3. Deders

Deders Modder

But even a cheap multimeter isn't that accurate

4. Red 5

Red 5 What's a Dremel?

Okay then. Thanks people.

5. Booga

Booga Cuppa tea anyone?

All the readings be it from software or meters are going to have some tolerance. That said so does your PSU.
    I think the extract below from the ATX2.2 covers your PSU (I could be wrong).

[​IMG]

That's 1.2v on the 12v just from the PSU.