1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics No output on either GPU or onboard outputs - Advice needed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dadoftriplets, 27 Mar 2015.

1. dadoftriplets

dadoftriplets What's a Dremel?

I am a little confused by what has happened to my kids computer. A few days ago the computer was working fine, but now I am getting no output from either the GPU or the mainboard graphic outputs. The fan is still spinning on the GPU so is getting power. My main thought was the PSu has blown, but fans are running, and I think I can hear the old PATA HDD spooling up so I don't think its that.

I have tried a total of four different output methods from the GPU (firstly the method that was in place VGA with DVI adapter, VGA-VGA on second monitor DVI-DVI on a second monitor and HDMI to the main TV and getting nothing. the same can be said for the only output on the mainboard (VGA)

Like I say all fans are spinning, everything is connected as it should - nothing has been touched inside the machine for at least a week (I cleaned it out, but it worked straight afterwards) and even then it has been working since then.

The computer is fairly old (spec below) and is looking to be replaced by my old gear from my desktop soon.

AMD AthlonII x2 240
    Foxconn M61PMV AM2+/AM2
    3GB Ram
    Asus HD6850 GPU
    CiT Power Supply

Is there anything you can suggest to get it running or should I just look to replace it?

2. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

If the POST beeps aren't indicating anything, then I'd try disconnecting everything that isn't absolutely necessary to the basic use of the computer. My guess would be the PSU is failing, but it still may have enough power to run the necessities.

3. dadoftriplets

Thanks for the swift reply

That's something I did do and yes I didn't get any post beeps but because there isn't one of them small speakers connected to the board. I was looking at replacing their PSU anyway because its not a reputable brand - just something more to have to look at buying on top of replacing my system! :)

4. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I have no output before when a stick of ram failed.

Might be worth checking them individually.

5. dadoftriplets

further update - realized i had another cheapo PSU knocking about so switched it out as best as it would fit and it posts (couldn't check GPU as it doesn't have any 6 pin plugs on it and I don't have spares, so will assume it is fine and just needs a new PSU.

Thanks for giving me the answer to my problem

:)