1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Logitech G510 Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 25 Mar 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

I know I'm way out of their target audience but 80+ quid for a keyboard? :eyebrow:
    My Microsoft Multi Media Keyboard is still going strong & it's been doing that in 3 countries for 8 years now. Cost me €30 back then.
    Just for reference:
    [​IMG]

3. mpr

mpr What's a Dremel?

I wish they'd come out with another full color LCD keyboard. I loved my previous G10? (second gen orange LCD) but I absolutely am infatuated with my G15... except there's not a lot of apps that take full advantage of the full color as the other boards in the lineup are monochrome.

I don't use it for ammo or health, I use it mostly for voice chat in games. It's fantastic playing a game in full screen and knowing who's talking on vent, skype, or whatever. I've got a few reset timers on it for various MMOs as well, but it's also fun to browse youtube while camping somthing.

4. Landy_Ed

Landy_Ed Combat Novice

:duh:

Last edited: 23 Apr 2011
  5. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

Not necessarily true the macro keys are a very useful addition for gamers and my G11 is a god send in games like Mortal Online where you have to type commands to animals

it allows me to type
    Follow Me
    Protect Me
    /Feed
    etc

with the press of one button rather than typing it out, it really increases my enjoyment of the game

it a is an expensive but sometimes justifiable purchase,

put it this way people are happy to spend £200 on a graphics card that will last them 2 years but they sit on £20 chair, it makes no sense pay £100 for a chair that will last you maybe 10 years same applies for the keyboard my G11 is about 4 years old now i think and i bought it at £60 i think it was a very good investment seeing as i use it everyday

on a side note, does anyone actually ever plug their headphones into the keyboard?

6. Xlog

Xlog Minimodder

If you think this is expensive, search for a mechanical keyboard, prices start at ~100GBP

Last edited: 25 Mar 2011
  7. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

people may say the LCD is gimmick. but once you used it, you can't go back. none of the annoying overlay for mumble/vent/TS, FRAPS shows a rolling line graph of FPS (usually stuck with a pretty straight line at 60 for me anyway :D ) basically, it removes screen overlay for maximum distraction-less gaming. you glance down when you want to, there's no overlay constantly sticking out of place on the screen.

other features of the keyboard, both on G15 (backlight and macro keys) and G510 (changable backlight) are meh. just for show off and typing "gg" at the end of a round. plus, i can't remember which of my 6 macro keys are set to what, let alone 18 keys).

lack of USB port is pretty annoying. i am not sure why Logitech thought audio ports will be important for desktop gamers who should have bought a good sound card anyway. are they targeting laptop gamers? (oh the horrible thought)

8. Dragonphreak

Dragonphreak Minimodder

Theres an error with the listed price for US. It has the pound sign, not the dollar. Unless I missed some major news in the last 2 days...

9. do_it_anyway

do_it_anyway Minimodder

Love my G15 and if it broke tomorrow I would buy this.

Agree wholeheartedly with yakyb, you use your keyboard for everything, everyday. And it is likely to last you years. Cost per use on using it everyday for 3 years is less than 8p a day.
    Buy a graphics card for £200, use it 5 days a week for 2 years and its 40p a day. And at the end of the 2 years you are struggling, and looking at buying another.

The LCD is a godsend as well. Not only do you get to see things on it, you can manipulate things too. So as an admin on teamspeak I can move people (including myself) to different channels, kick people, and see who is coming and going without having to buy a 2nd monitor or Alt-tabbing out of a game. When in game and I hear "player joined", all my friends immediately ask "whose that?" and I can tell them. Couldn't live without it.

BTW, never used the USB ports on my G15, and would unlikely use the headphone sockets either.

10. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

i have one of them also :)

11. rpsgc

rpsgc Minimodder

The difference is, a mechanical keyboard is actually WORTH it. Unlike this glorified piece of plastic junk.

12. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

I really wish you would review other keyboards too so we can get a comparison. Take away the screen and macros, is it a good keyboard? If I am not interested in the Macros and screen, how does the..... say, Logitech Illuminated keyboard stand up to gaming? As not everyone needs or even uses macros or a the screen.

13. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

*sees keyboard related thread*

MS ERGO 4000

*leaves*

14. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

Logitech, y u so ugly and expensive?

15. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

+1
    spot on, absolutely love mine.

16. rpsgc

rpsgc Minimodder

Because it appeals to the "12yo wannabe 1337 gamer" crowd.
    And because they can.

17. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

The US price isn't in dollars

Used one, went mechanical.

That said, I'm happy Logitech released this! It's basically a 1st gen G15 plus the audio stuff, which is what people have been asking for ever since the original G15 was replaced..

@The people who say that a $100 keyboard is a huge extravagance:

A good mechanical keyboard will outlast pretty much everything else in your PC. Check out the Wikipedia article on keyboard technology and read about rubber domes, this is how all Logitech gaming keyboards (and nearly all other keyboards on the market) work.. It's quite crappy, and it's no wonder that these types of keyboards turn to mush after a few months of use. Scissor switches (laptops and slim keyboards) feel better, but the very low key travel distance is tough to get used to..

Last edited: 25 Mar 2011
  18. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

If my G15v1 failed tomorrow, this is the replacement. The G15v2 was horrid, and the G19 too pricey.

Though if I won the lottery tonight, I'll take 8.

19. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

yeap, when my g15 dies, it should have already after the coffee spill, i will replace with this, i quite like the feel the keyboard has, if you take one apart you can see they are quite well made, the dome only presses the 2 contact plates together on my g15, it doesn't have a the conductive base that joins 2 pads together.

i've still got and use the g15v1, and have had for 4-5 years

Apophis54 likes this.
  20. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Stomached the high cost on this keyboard myself. Had a G15 for ages and needed a new one, so thought it'd do the job. The variation in colours really is fab, and the keyboard itself is well laid out for my style of play.

The best addition for me though, considering I run watercooling, is the LCD screen and it's support from CoreTemp and EVGA precision. CPU and GPU temp monitoring at a glance, no matter what i'm doing on my PC = invaluable.

You really do pay through the nose for it though - cheaper version please Logitech!

Tags: Add Tags