1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU Problem with potential fix?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dotdrew, 4 Jan 2012.

1. dotdrew

dotdrew What's a Dremel?

I built my rig back in February with an NZXT Hale90 1000W power supply, which later went bang and refused to work (apparently a major problem with this PSU). I then bought an AX1200 to replace it that turned out to be faulty, loud fan and coil whine, apparently another major problem.

As you can tell I don't have much luck with power supplies, so I've decided to send them both back, buy a good quality, quiet (I'm amazingly anal about noise coming from my PC, ask M3cael) PSU and cut my losses.

So far I was planning on getting an AX850 as it doesn't spin up until about 20% usage and then stays fairly quiet until about 600W of usage, which I'd only ever reach when gaming, and then PC noise becomes less of a problem anyway. I've had my eye on the Seasonic Platinum series however and I was wondering if anyone could recommend one over the AX850? Looking at the Seasonic P-1000, it doesn't start the fan until about 300W of usage and is very quiet even when the fan does run.

If anyone has any other suggestions I'll be open to them too.