1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watercooling Give me the low down

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AoE, 29 Jan 2012.

1. AoE

AoE What's a Dremel?

How much cooler will my CPU be with an actual watercooling open loop as opposed to a closed loop in H80. My load temps are 47/8c (see sig for chip) how much cooler will a decent custom loop make my CPU? Basically want to know if its worth the time and money to get into. If possible I would like to get my cpu to 4.5ghz stable and hopefully on a voltage less than 1.5v

2. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

It depends on what components you use in the loop. How many rads, which case, which fans, which blocks and what your will be cooling.

I will say that you already have very good load temps, and that the cost of watercooling (lets assume a mid range setup) will not bring much better results than your H80.

Youve got more head room temps wise as it is.

3. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

AoE are you keen to stay with AMD? It might be cheaper and a way better upgrade to just go for a 2500k rig on air rather than get a full water cooling set up?

4. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

Supreme HF and a good 240 Rad would drop temps another 3-5 degrees. What you'd gain is Consistency. Watercooling doesn't tend to outperform air by a massive amount, but the temperature changes tend to be smaller and much smoother. So you'd probably be able to push a bit further without any issues.

Have fun trying to get a Phenom II stable at over 4ghz without 1.6V, though. It took 1.625 for me to boot an X2 at 4.3, so 4.5 is a ways off.

5. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

I love AMD cpus, I just wish the performance on new high end chips was better.

Still proud of my X2 555 that unlocked to 4 cores and clocked pretty well, still running now with great temps in my mates rig :)

6. AoE

AoE What's a Dremel?

is it beneficial perhaps doing a gpu only loop as mine is hitting 83/4c in BF3 for an hour? stock cooler

7. Wing Zero

Wing Zero Ita-sha owner

nowadays, closed loop CPU coolers like the H80 are more than ample for CPU cooling, you only need custom WC'ing for graphics cards. Graphics cards IMO, do need watercooling, not just to reduce temps, btu also make cards last longer.

Mind you, with the WC needed for graphics cards, you might as well spend the little extra on a CPU block and plumb that in as well.

8. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

Better case airflow? I don't see why it would be getting that hot.

Last edited: 31 Jan 2012
  9. Ant1981

Ant1981 Minimodder

I prefer custom WC kits, as you soon get the WC bug and find much more flexibility with WC'ing.

10. Bladesingerz

Bladesingerz Minimodder

I got a EK-Supreme LTX AMD on my Phenom II X4 955 BE and I get 35 degrees when playing games like skyrim and 38 degrees after a heavy stress test of 1 houre or so. I'm using a 240 rad with 2 enermax fans on 1000 rmp.
    An open loop will breng your temps down alot I think, a closed loop is only a little better than aircooling.

11. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

What case are you using mate?

The complete low down http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=201254 bloodypete's watercoolingthread/how to, very good guide for when you get into watercooling, something I used when I first started :)

Basically he goes into describe everything in great detail, from:

CPU block, GPU block, Pump, Rad, Res, Fittings, tubing, Fluid and fans

also if your really serious about getting into WC then I would seriously check out some TinyTomLogan Video's

and his watercooling how to is a good start http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6qp...xt=C37b5464UDOEgsToPDskIvgjCALq-olE0F_-cSAAff

also he has a load more videos on WC so check them out (Y)

12. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Good ole' trashcannonman linking my thread :D

AOE messeage me or post on that thread if you have any questions :)

13. thetrashcanman

You know it ;)

also Pete YGPM

and Aoe one good point that I think Pete also brings up in his 'WC how to' is the marketplace is a positive treasure trove of WC gear, although you do sometimes have to be patient for the right gear to come up :)

14. AoE

AoE What's a Dremel?

yea could be down to better air flow, currently have a skarkoon T9 but the 2x120mm at front are default as intakes but my H80 @ Rear is also an intake so need to act the front 120mms as exhaust and hook em up to fancontroller set their speeds higher, then ill see what happens from here. Looking into W/C

15. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

Have a look at full cover blocks for the motherboards too. On my AMD rig, i find that a limiting factor can sometimes be the northbridge temps. The heatsinks on the board actually become silly hot to the touch and would require about half an hour of down time to allow them to cool between runs. (not the only limiting factor, but one i'm interested to remove).

I keep my eyes open for a full cover Crosshair 4 formula block in the MP, but i think i'm out of luck there.

16. AoE

AoE What's a Dremel?

Can somebody give me a good idea of the best loop order, i.e water in and out from pump to cpu, gpu and rad etc

17. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Doesn't really matter, the only bit that does matter is res > pump :)

18. AoE

AoE What's a Dremel?

what way does your loop run man? in order? is it best to cool the cpu down before the GPU? as its to my understanding a stock cooled GPU on water will reduce by at least 20-25c, whereas going from a H80 closed loop on CPU to open loop will reduce temps by only a few c? So better to kool the harder one down first?

19. thetrashcanman

As peter said mate it really makes no difference, if youve got a decent pump and good blocks it shouldnt make much of a difference, just go with whatever is the tidiest loop, after res> pump bit obviously, and as for temps of CPU it will probably take a few degrees idle temps, but load temps is where you will see a real difference:thumb:

20. AoE

AoE What's a Dremel?

thanks batman, ohh by the way, what you doing with 580s when keplar comes?