1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclocking Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P ... official thread?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Crazyglue, 13 Dec 2008.

1. Crazyglue

Crazyglue What's a Dremel?

Hey, guys... just bought this board the other day, and have had some fun overclocking it. Was wondering what other people's results are with this board, I've managed to hi 3.06ghz on my old school e6300. (http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=461914). 8 hours orthos stable and running on air, hitting about 45-48*C full load.

Also a few questions...

When i first looked at the bios the very first time i booted the board, the number of options in the M.I.T. were amazing. I've been overclocking for about 4 or so years and have never come across this many options on a motherboard. So... looking for some tips on what all the options are and how tweaking them will help my system be more stable and possible reach a higher OC.

Cheers

P.S. POST RESULTS!!!

2. mrb_no1

mrb_no1 Pie Eater

hey dude, i've tried to get advice on oc'ing here at bt but it seems that either people dont like talking about it, or they just dont have much experience (bt writers excluded) so after posting several threads on different topics around ocing i went to http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/ and they are alot more helpful over there as all they seem to do is overclock their hardware. Peeps on bt seem to only be interested in modding or giving system build advice(something i find ironic when they dont comment on ocing which might indicate a greater understanding of the situation :p) hope the link at least helps

peace

fatman

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I think generally the diversity of people on bit (in what they what to do with their systems and the hardware combinations) is greater than XS, but XS is a great resource for overclocking and tweaking tips.

Post your BIOS settings and I'll have a nose through to suggest some changes, but for a 1.86GHz CPU to hit 3GHz is pretty impressive and I'm not sure how much more you can get tbh. :)

What's the rest of your system specs?

4. Crazyglue

Thanks for the info, I've been around that site a few times, will definitely look into it a bit more.

Found a great template on the XS site for my bios, and i took the liberty to fill it out :-D

Robust Graphics Booster [AUTO]
    CPU Clock Ratio[7X]

**********Clock Chip Control*************************

CPU Host Clock Control [Enabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) [437]
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz) [100]
    C.I.A 2 [Disabled]

**********DRAM Performance Control***********

Performance Enhance [Standard]
    (G) MCH Frequency Latch [Auto] (266)
    System Memory Multiplier [2.50A]
    Memory Frequency [4:5]
    DRAM Timing Selectable [Manual]

CAS Latency Time [5]
    tRCD [5]
    tRP [5]
    tRAS [15]

***********Motherboard Voltage Control*******

Load-Line Calibration [Disabled]
    CPU Vcore [1.38750]
    CPU Termination [Auto] (1.2v)
    CPU PLL [Auto] (1.50v)
    CPU Reference [Auto] (.760v)

MCH Core [1.460]
    MCH Reference [Auto] .760v
    MCH/DRAM Refernce [Auto] .900v
    ICH I/O [Auto] 1.5v
    ICH Core [Auto] 1.1v

DRAM Voltage [2.2]
    DRAM Termination [Auto] .90v
    Channel A Ref [Auto] .90v
    Channel B Ref [Auto] .90v

*****************Advanced BIOS Features*********

CPU Multithreading [XXXXX]
    Limit CPUID Max to 3 [XXXXX]
    No-Execute memory Protect [XXXXX]
    CPU Enhance Halt (CIE) [XXXXX]
    C2/C2E State Support [XXXXX]
    C4/C4E State Support [XXXXX]
    CPU Thermal Monitor [XXXXX]
    CPU EIST Function [XXXXX]
    Virtualization Technology [XXXXX]

Rest of my system specs:
    e6300
    ga-ep45-ud3p
    2x2gb OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 5-5-5-15-2T @ 2.2v
    Diamond 3870
    2x200gb WD Caviar Raid 0
    antec 900
    Freezer 7 cpu cooler (putting water on it later)
    Soundblaster x-fi

Temps at full load (after 8 hours of orthos) hit a max of 48*C load, and idles around 34*C-ish

Thanks for the help :lol:

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Your CPU termination (VTT) and PLL can go up to ~1.3 (for long term safety) and 1.6-1.65V respectively which could help increase an overclock - the VTT will help with extra FSB.

MCH core doesn't need to go any higher - in fact, P45 over 1.3-1.35V doesn't often benefit.

You can play with the reference voltage - typically for a 65nm dual core CPU they have to be 68% of VTT.

ICH core and IO can be rised a touch - try it, some claim it helps, I don't ever find it does personally.

1:1 memory timings will also help you go further but will lose you memory performance.

Take a look here: http://images.bit-tech.net/content_images/2008/11/gigabyte-ga-ep45-ud3r/bios5.png

The static tRead value is the chipset tRD - this is a key to extra performance, but it entirely depends on your FSB and chipset ratio. Anandtech has an article on it and a calculator to help work it out, but try lowering it and see what it does to your memory latency and performance - it should work very well.

At (333 setting) 1333MHz FSB and 800MHz CPU I can get it down to 5 with phase pull ins set to advanced (4 effective).

Crazyglue likes this.
  6. Crazyglue

Excellent, thanks for the tips, gonna try it when i get off work.

7. Crazyglue

ok i gave it all a try. It would seem nothing is working. I even tried giving the ram, cpu and mch more voltage (I understand it might not help, but it was worth a try).

Oh well, I guess my processor has hit the highest it will get, atleast on air that is. Maybe tommarow or the next day ill hook up my water and see what this baby can really do, hehe.