1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage How do I reduce the amount of write cycles to the SSD?..

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by trueno!, 22 Aug 2014.

1. trueno!

trueno! That's TRUE-N-NO if ure not sure!..

I've been monitoring the amount of data that is being written to my SSD from the amass of web activity, installation/updating/downloading ( to an extent ), & video streaming I do on the browsers I use... So far, since having got my Crucial M500 240GB SSD in March I amassed just under 3100GB of internet data which makes it just over 20GB per day, is this normal / common?..

If this is not normal / common and is quite excessive then would it be necessary to help reduce this amount of write cycles by relocating all the internet cache folders where all the temporary internet files are stored to another drive preferably a high capacity HDD is best I assume / guess?..

I had a quick look on the net and found this SITE to help start things off... Was hoping to also gain some feedback from this community for anything else that can help me reduce the amount of write cycles to my SSD without having to reduce my internet usage and going through drastic measures as well!?.

Look forward to your feedback and thanks in advance for the comments / advice / recommendations!.. :thumb:

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

You worry too much. Don't change anything.
    Your write amounts is nothing.

Should last you a nice 7 year that SSD, if not more.

If you want longer, then get synchronous MLC SSD (identifiable with their 5 year warranty), and you can trash them of writes daily, and you are still good even after 9 years, if not more.

3. trueno!

I see... Thanks for the reply... :D

I like to also mention that this drive after only a few months in to it's lifetime has gone down to 99% heath status, which was what prompted me to monitoring the SSD usage every now and again and the start of this question through this thread... :p

However, if this usage amount is common and is nothing to worry about then I guess this has is mute unless someone wants to use the link I provided to regain SSD space which is also another reason for relocating where the internet activity data is saved / stored!.. ;)

Whilst still on the subject of the health of my SSD, it could be possible that some of the flash cells in the SSD got nuked when my PC crashed a couple of times in the past and that the OP is completely non relevant to this issue!.. :p

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

4. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

You have a 3 year warranty on the SSD. You worry too much.
    SSD health is an estimate, and doesn't reflect reality.

Sure, it could be a faulty and be fall at 70% health after a year.. but that is why you have the warranty.
    It could also die the next day, which I hope it doesn't happen, but like HDDs, that why you have backups.

The only time you should be worrying about your SSD heath is if:
    -> You are running Windows XP or some other legacy OS that doesn't support SSDs or TRIM

-> You are using TLC based nand chip SSD (Samsung 840 and EVO series), and you do a lot of writes, like programming where you compile a lot or server application (wrong SSD for this application)

-> You use your current SSD (asynchronous MLC based nands) on a loaded server application (wrong SSD for this application)

-> You plan to keep your SSD for excessively long time, despite having newer SSD by then that are faster, cheaper, larger in capacity, and more durable, or have more funds to acquire even more solid ones like the synchronous based MLC nands

Last edited: 22 Aug 2014
  5. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

If you happen to be a firefox user you can go in about:config and make sure
    browser.cache.disk.enable to False
    browser.cache.memory.enable to True

and it will only use ram as cache and nothing for disk for all the temporary cache crap. Of course you have the con of not able to use persistent sessions anymore.

6. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I must be out of the ordinary then, my SSD reports around 9Gb of writes per day.
    But i agree with GoodBytes that 20Gb per day shouldn't be a problem unless you plan to keep the drive for more than 7 odd years.

7. Jim

Jim Ineptimodder

I would think that by the time it has failed from over-usage, you'll be able to to buy a similarly spec'd equivalent for next to nothing.

8. trueno!

Although it's great to see the community here giving me their comments & feedback, and beside the off topic posts it doesn't seem to be many in regards to the OP, but hey, I welcome any thing what people have to say... ;)

Cheers y'all!.. :thumb:

9. Measter

Measter What's a Dremel?

Even so, according to this stress test it should still be going for a long time.

Even if we assume that such a drive would fail after 100tb, then at 20 gb per day it'll still last over 10 years.