1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Chkdsk/Software Installation Issues

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Depetrify, 16 Nov 2012.

1. Depetrify

Depetrify What's a Dremel?

Windows 7

So, a bit of background... I have a beast of a computer , OS is on an SSD and everything else is on a raid-0 drive.
    Earlier today I was installing the Starcraft: Heart Of The Swarm beta, and it was going really slow so I unplugged my wireless adapter (bad idea...), and plugged it back in. It was still going slow so I restarted my computer.
    Upon bootup it wants to do a chkdsk for whatever reason, I decline. It brings me to a black screen with just my mouse. Theres no login screen, ctrl - alt - delete doesn't do anything , its not like the explorer.exe problems I've had before.
    So I restart again and let it chkdsk , it says it can't and the problem has been caused by a recent software installation and to system restore.
    So I have no points to system restore to..
    I tried to chkdsk, /sfc scannow , msconfig and disable every startup thing but microsoft stuff.. none of this seems to fix it.
    The fact that I never actually see a login screen makes me think its not just software related anymore...
    I used the original disk to try to system repair and it said that disk wasn't supported by my operating system or w/e (wtf?). I burned a few different kinds being hopeful hoping the other ones were just messed up or something .. to no avail.
    So, I'm kind of stuck now. I really don't want to system restore...
    Oh, and I should add that when I boot in safe mode everything works perfectly ****ing fine ... makes no sense to me.. hell I'm typing this in safe mode right now rofl..

Last edited: 16 Nov 2012
  2. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

disable all the startup items one at a time, and check the services, if it bots up in safe mode it has to be a third party software/drivers causing the issue

Does it boot if you take the wireless adapter out?

3. T2I3M

T2I3M Minimodder

It does sound like corrupt software/drivers are causing these problems. Try removing all wireless drivers and software (if this is the only possible way to connect to the internet ensure you download the drivers before you uninstall the drivers).
    Is there any indication is event viewer?

4. saspro

saspro IT monkey