1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress G1 4.6 Twin Turbo- Completed

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by orbitalwalsh, 1 Jan 2016.

1. orbitalwalsh

orbitalwalsh What's a Dremel?

S340 white case
    Gigabyte z170 gaming 7
    i5 6600k
    4*4GB Geil 3200hz
    EVGA 850w P2
    Samsung 950 Pro 256GB
    2* Asus GTX 970 Turbo

Just a few quid over £1k

Few teasers of dry runs
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Need to get around to modding the turbos or seeing about going Hybrid cooled. Need some red LEDs to make the Dan glow I think

Last edited: 1 Mar 2016
  2. orbitalwalsh

after a long wait, life and soul have arrived

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

just case to come this week for a quick fit and getting OS up and running.

One alphacool GPX 970 M07 has been ordered for the hybrid fit. From visually looking to secure the shrouds 3 mounting points, to corners will need to have a 10mmx10mm square cut out and for the last a hole to be drilled through. Should allow shroud to be mounted along with sink and backplate.
    10mm strip my also be cut off to allow the fans ramp to fit without cutting the shroud , but then again if i have to cut the shroud for block tubing would just be easier to cut the ramp.

I did try to OC the Turbo to the same OC i've seen from reviews of the Direct Mini Version... no luck, can only hit plus 80hz increase before it starts to throttle hard and over 130hz it crashes.

Shot of firestrike on stock speeds using my rig with side panel off..
    [​IMG]

3. storm-83

storm-83 Minimodder

Blood panda!
    Looks good with the colorscheme
    Looking forward to seeing where you go with this!

4. orbitalwalsh

cheers :)

somehow a Nzxt Hue+ made its way into my basket and should be here today :)

seen latest update can change colour depending on temps, would be nice to switch from Idle white to Load Red :D

5. orbitalwalsh

Finally case came along with this badboy. Braided cables to come. Dry build start of next week I think :)

[​IMG]

6. orbitalwalsh

Managed to get mobo in and test fit TC14S. Couldn't fit fans in push like in previous pics. Fan sits on ram and it to high and can't fit the side panel, so now there in pull and just fits !
    Also installed nzxt Hue+ , first fitting of the LEDs and have refitted them cleaner and not in full view when panel is on, but didn't take after pics .
    Need to bench cards in my rig to find max air overclock and then move them over

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Torn and need opinions .

Planned to do a mixture of white braided cables with red combs and red with white combs. 24pin and one pcie was white and 8pin and pcie was red.
    Starting to sway more of doing all red then mixing ...
    [​IMG]

May custom braid my cables if I don't sell it but for now its extensions

snap shot of the white 24 pin with red combs.
    Ive found that the red combs are a transparent red compared to the solid white combs which is what is putting me off.

[​IMG]

just seen red cpu cable in background.

would of had turbos in last night along with mixed PCIe cables but son has started to teethe =/

7. stealth80

stealth80 Minimodder

I really do like these NZXT cases, also like the ram

8. orbitalwalsh

will see this week if the rams XMP works with Gigabytes mobo ...

9. iam2big2fail

iam2big2fail What's a Dremel?

God, that build is just screaming for nickel-plexi, clear hardline tubing, red fittings, and white fluid :sigh:

10. orbitalwalsh

Plan is to stick this under the Turbos shroud and strap the backplate white and carry on the red pin-stripe. keeping the look of the Turbo intact yet having Hybrid cooling. Also have LEDs to light up the fan shroud.

http://www.alphacool.com/images/pro...0x400x1570_0.jpg.pagespeed.ic.oWZg0ITHEJ.webp

and use a Plexi alphacool sli bridge
    http://www.aquatuning.co.uk/media/image/a9/5f/a5/1011033-1_600x600.jpg

Two Bitspower Matt Black 90s will be at the top and bottom (chosen for dragon logo to match ram) with white flexi tubing to a Swiftech H240X with Red Coolant .
    Have seen another S340 owner install the H240X , tight fit , but works well
    https://i.imgur.com/eQ3VAKv.jpg
    https://imgur.com/a/282K4

even one with same mobo :)
    http://www.overclock.net/content/type/61/id/2621042/width/500/height/1000/flags/LL

I would try hard tubing if bends were needed but since i'll just have to straight pieces i should be able to get them taut enough, plus allows flexibility to get the unit out to fill etc.

Last edited: 18 Jan 2016
  11. orbitalwalsh

Finally had a chance to move the turbos into their new home.
    Mind had moves for red braids with white combs .
    I moved the Hue+ from the right ssd housing to the left. Looking at it now with WC gear to go in, will move it back, doesnt block the fan as i thought it would do

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. orbitalwalsh

Swapped the white for red, much better! Just last pcie to go .
    Most likely route the top pcie cable between the GPUs and underneath the second so its not hanging down.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Under lock as cats are eating cables. PSU tomorrow
    [​IMG]

13. orbitalwalsh

After going back to basics with one ram stick in and clearing the CMOS with gigabytes handle red button. success !!!
    4GB @ 2133hz, then 8GB and then full 16GB. yet to play around with timings nor check bios version and is the 950pro is read, but CPU was recorded @ 25c with one fan running, room tempt being 20c.
    Also received 2 fans and the correct red cable on my lunch break :D
    Cant wait for the Alphacool block to arrive and also sort the red LEDs for the GPU shroud :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

15. orbitalwalsh

So, got some parvum fans for £8 each, got to say their the nicest fans I've used personally. Hoping to give a bit more of a stealth appeal

[​IMG]

Before

[​IMG]

Rear swapped
    [​IMG]

Both swapped
    [​IMG]

Should give a lot more flow then the stock fans and operate quieter , specially with a rad going in the front for the GPUs , nice to get the hot air out.

16. itrush07

itrush07 Minimodder

Wow, just a simple wow. Can't wait to see real one.

17. orbitalwalsh

:)
    Well, Stage One Complete .

Build with all Non water cooling parts and Board Overclock

Swapping out the bright red pcie for the darker red to match the rest. Much better

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Stage 2 will be the modding of the Turbos to allow hybrid cooling and the 3rd will be water setup and benching

Prob install windows in the morning and get a quick vid of the Hue+ in action
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. orbitalwalsh

Treat came today :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Red shows the area where I have to cut, 10mm x 10mm to get the shroud mounting points to mate with the card.
    Application will be mount the block, then the should using 2 anchor points at the IO end , then the backplate to the block with the top right going through the block and into the shroud, may have to drill through
    [​IMG]

Block will fit in the shroud with a 5mm height gap, width will be tight

19. orbitalwalsh

started to get to work on the Hybrid cooling, but whilst the card was out i had a chance to add some heatsinks 20mmx20mmx5mm to the Pro 950,

[​IMG]

All laid out
    [​IMG]
    As with the previous post, i needed to trim off more and had to get the width down on the block by rooming a fin from the top and bottom, to do this i had to take out the waterblock from the heatsink and came across this
    [​IMG]
    That indeed is a lot of paste making NO contact with the heatsink. Alphcool advertises the whilst the block isnt fully watercooled, the plate can transfer heat to the block to be cooled down. looking at this I can see why users have been monitoring high VRM temps. In theory is a perfect idea but the execution is poorly lacking, so be warned with the Alphacool blocks !

top side up, fits like a glove!
    [​IMG]
    Correct way up, will need to trim the bottom left fin just to make sure it clears the mount point
    [​IMG]
    From this image you can see the Ram will need to be trimmed off. i Though about trimming down the fins but still won't work and dont want to cut the memory plate section and just easier to cut the ramp, and plastic glue back on in future. You can also see with the heatsink, theres plenty of height clearance too
    [​IMG]
    quick poor shot of the heatsink over the current board, trimmed the pin header section to allow the fan to connect.
    [​IMG]

Hope tonight to mount the whole thing together and attach the red LEDs to the fan section to light it up.

With the second card i'll just use the universal alphacool mounting without the heatsink and use some heatsinks for ram chips.

quick hack at lunch time, "Dust Ramp" has now been removed. plastic glue should bond it back on if it ever needs to go back on again
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 1 Feb 2016
  20. orbitalwalsh

Teaser shots. Just need to drill the inlet and outlet ports. Then do it all over again
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]