1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows E-MU EM8960 PCI Soundcard

Discussion in 'Software' started by antipcw, 28 Aug 2014.

1. antipcw

antipcw Minimodder

I've just bought off eBay, 2nd hand, an E-MU EM8960 PCI soundcard, together with a Creative Soundblaster Audigy2 zs front bay interface panel, and a Creative E-MU1616 breakout box.
    Problem I have is that I've hunted high and low through every search engine for Win7 64-bit drivers and a manual to find out how I connect that soundcard to the front-bay panel, what cables I need to make that connection, all without any success. All I have is a PSU for the 1616 and an EDI cable.

Can anyone help, please? Creative's website I've trawled through, no joy for the EM8960. Okay for the 1616.

2. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

Just use the EDI cable to connect 1616 to 8960. Not sure why to bother with the bay since everything is already on the 1616... but you need a floppy drive type cable to connect bay panel to card.

3. antipcw

antipcw Minimodder

Thanks for that reply.

Reason I wanted to use that PC front-bay interface was it is a Creative Soundblaster Audigy2 zs interface, and despite being aware that I can use the supplied network-type cable, the EDI cable, from the EM8960 card to the breakout box, E-MU1616, the E-MU 1616 is an external box, which means it either sits on the floor gathering dust, or I have to keep going to the rear of the PC to make the connections.

I was hoping to do that via the Audigy2 zs.

So, a FD cable should suffice, then? I'll give it a shot.

4. antipcw

antipcw Minimodder

It is not a FD type cable that connects, unfortunately, but something called AD_EXT that interfaces with that internal I/O Drive.

5. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

They used 2 different connectors for those, on older cards it's same as floppy and on newer cards it's same as IDE... but you do need to make sure to get cables that are unkeyed as the missing pin is in a different spot. Plain old floppy/ide cables do work fine though regardless if they want to call it something else.

6. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

I think I have a AD_EXT cable at home. Off the top of my head, it's keyed for the AD_EXT connector on this card if this is the right one on your card and live drive:

[​IMG]

Mine connects to the AD_EXT pins and the SPDIF_IO pins next to it. I'll see if I can find it when I get home from work.

Edit: Here's my cable. Is it of any use to you?

[​IMG]

Last edited: 2 Sep 2014
  7. antipcw

antipcw Minimodder

:clap:Hi Lancer

Thanks for that reply.

Just before I checked this Forum tonight(after the England match), yesterday I had a reply via an eBay seller in the USA that the AD_EXT cable that I wanted to buy from him, would not, in fact, connect an E-MU EM8960 PCI soundcard to a Creative Soundblaster Audigy2 zs I/O front bay drive. Different pin-outs on the EM8960 and the AUdigy2 zs.

Your photograph is a SBlaster Audigy2 zs PCI card which I've just ordered today off eBay c/w the requisite cables and an I/O front bay-mounted drive hub. Only thing missing is the remote control but I'm not too bothered about that.

So, thank you to you and Ivanovich.