1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News MSI Reflex SSD details leak ahead of launch

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 23 Jul 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

yet another SF-2281 based SSD with toggle nand - lets hope they might have fixed the problems with all the other sf-22xx based ssd that even intel hasnt totally sorted yet.....

3. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

Disaster waiting to happen...

4. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Just more of the same with a different sticker on top, we need really new ssds instead of copy pasta designs in order to push whats technically possible and not this milking the market bs.

5. JCBeastie

JCBeastie What's a Dremel?

Disappointing. When they were confirmed as a Sandforce customer I thought they were going to put an SSD on a motherboard or an expansion card, not just make another drive. Ah well, might still be good if they've spent some time on it.

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

NM, will tell Gareth.

7. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Story updated (well, it will be in a minute): MSI has confirmed that the Reflex range is real, but it *won't* be getting a retail release in the EU. No reason given, but Bindi reckons (quite rightly, in my opinion) that MSI will instead be concentrating on releasing in markets where there are no established competitors while using the Reflex drives in its own laptops - vertical integration, innit?

8. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

totally understandable - msi wouldnt want to join the `yes another ssd` crowd in europe , when theres allready intel , crucial , samsung, ocz, kingston , corsair , plextor, pny and sandisk (feel free to add anymore ofc) - of those 7 are using the same controller!

so from a commercial view it does make sense not to launch where the market is saturated allready

9. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Hey you, leave me out of this :worried::worried: I don't want people thinking I'm trying to be underhanded or something :p I had dinner with MSI buddies last week! And I've got absolutely no proof they'll use them in their laptops; my point was I expected many companies will consider SSDs in 2013 due to NAND price drops and performance increases - it won't be exclusively Ultrabook. Haswell hardware is in too early development to know yet; BOM costs won't be calculated until muuuch closer to launch.

10. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

And I reckon you're on the money - a move from a hard drive to (even a cheap) SSD makes a machine 'feel' snappier, and I reckon as the pricing drops we're going to see SSDs in everything except the very cheapest laptops.

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Bingo!

The only downside is that a huge proportion of the public still buy HDD on size ("this one has a 500GB (HDD), but this only only 256GB" (SSD)). Bigger numbers sell and not every online store has the function to show one is an SSD and another is a HDD - they just list size. However, if one company does it and commits to it, and many media commend them for it, everyone will follow suit. It's about getting the tidal wave of education.

12. Gareth Halfacree

I wouldn't be surprised if they don't simply ditch mentioning the size of the storage at all, except in the fine print and detailed specs. PC World (and others) have a tendency at the moment to concentrate on RAM on their TV adverts, with a voice-over saying something along the lines of "or get this Packard Bell four gig laptop for only £399 in-store today!"

My theory: Instead of "Laptop with Core i5, 4GB RAM, 500GB hard drive" you'll see "Laptop with Core i5, 4GB RAM, ultra-fast SSD storage." Don't put the number in there, and sheeple won't do the comparison - they'll just see it's ultra fast. S'not as if ASA could complain: just stick a footnote saying "* Sequential read speed of SSD measured at 500MB/s compared to 80MB/s for previous model hard drive. Actual performance may vary."

13. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

QFT, although its kind of funny when you see people experience a ssd for the first time, I've put a old Samsung SSD I had in my Moms Laptop and she didn't believe me that such a speed difference was possible with just swapping one single part, average joe just needs to hear more about the advantages of ssds and they will buy them. I see an additional way though and that is the disappearance of optical drives from more and more notebooks freeing up space for both a ssd and hdd.

Last edited: 24 Jul 2012
Tags: Add Tags