1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant Things that make unnecessary noise

Discussion in 'General' started by Cleggmeister, 23 Dec 2012.

1. Cleggmeister

Cleggmeister Of reasonable knowledge...

Seriously, this is coming to a head very soon...

When my washing machine finishes washing it beeps four times, then waits then beeps four times more. This goes on until I turn it off or forever, I think. The pitch of the beep is just at that "really ******* annoying" frequency which can't be ignored, and it's loud enough to be audible even through a closed door. In fact, if I'm in bed and it's quiet generally I can hear it from upstairs. I think it's a Zanussi. May god/God not have mercy on them.

My dishwasher does the same, but thankfully it shuts up after 30 seconds or so. Still no need for it though - I know that it's finished when it stops making any noise. There's a giveaway Siemens you *****.

And recently my microwave died so I pinched my aunt's (she lives in a home now and didn't need it anymore). This ******* has a slightly lower pitch than the washing machine but it's so much louder, and it beeps five times, each beep is around 0.7s in duration. Because it's in a room with a tiled floor and a glass door it sounds more like an alarm - like something urgent. Surely one beep or, better still, no beeps would be good. Or a little "ding" like my student microwave did 20 years ago.

Rant over, and I know this is a first world problem and I should be ashamed, etc... but for the love of sweet baby Jesus why do manufacturers feel that we need to be assaulted by our products???

My "lottery winning" ambition isn't to buy a Porsche or whatever, it's to visit each of these companies, product in hand, and make them use it for a couple of days. See how they like it. And if they try and justify their product I will spend more imaginary cash to have the nastiest hitman do things that even they consider "crossing the line".

And then I'll probably buy a Porsche. But if it beeps at me...

Cthippo and B1GBUD like this.
  2. TheCherub

TheCherub Minimodder

3. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

The missus?

Physical re-adjustment in 3.... 2.... Slap!

KidMod-Southpaw likes this.
  4. Joey Propane

Joey Propane What's a Dremel?

Our microwave. Timer gets to zero then decides it needs to double beep 6-7 times to tell us... Seriously, whats wrong with just 1 or 2 double beeps?

5. Cleggmeister

Forgot to mention, all of the above products also have VISIBLE TIMERS on them, so I know when they're done or in the process of getting there.

I think I need to calm down now.

Cherub - I had an old Jeep Wrangler a few years ago. It beeped four times when I put the key in the ignition!

Bigbud - nah, I am blessed with a sensitive missus, though aren't we all (conditioned over a period of years to believe that)! ;)

6. sniperdude

sniperdude Minimodder

washing machine

By pressing the TEMPERATURE and SPIN SPEED
    buttons simultaneously for 3 seconds, the acoustic
    signal is deactivated

B1GBUD likes this.
  7. Cleggmeister

You're being too kind Joey, what about it just stops making that "whirrrrrr" noise that microwaves make when they're doing their job???!!!

8. Cleggmeister

To quote the Partridge Family (if I remember correctly), "I think I love you".
    But I'm quite enjoying being grumpy just now, so I'll try it tomorrow :)

9. sniperdude

sniperdude Minimodder

don't be too loved up...it might not work lol

10. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Cleggmeister, be happy that you don't own an LG washing machine, it plays a "victory tune" :D :

Pliqu3011 likes this.
  11. ferret141

ferret141 Minimodder

Why not go up to it and open the door of the device and leave it ajar or close it back up again.

Or is the point of this to shut up the annoying bleep and not get up?

12. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Can't you just open it up and snip the cable running to the speaker?

13. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

just to shut up the annoying bleep. not necessarily not to get up, but even while walking to the mental y retarded device in question it is infuriatingly annoying for them to have it beep and not stop doing so until it gets attention, because the house might spontaneously combust if it doesn't. Ive punched the control panel so hard my fist went through. because it ticked me of so well so many times. a single ding is more than enough.

14. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

15. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

Was thinking same thing

16. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

Assholes in the flat above with their kids running around all day sounds like elephants learning to tap dance.

If you was in a house and kids were thumping around upstairs you would tell them to STFU but if you were upstairs you wouldn't be aware of it, hence the problem with flats.

17. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Lenevo and IBM (at the time) laptops... oh god....
    Battery low: Beeps
    Battery Critical: Beeps more
    Plug-in: Beeps
    Plug-out: Beeps
    Type too much while processor is busy: Beeps

Same for cellphones (not smartphones), battery low, beeps to tell you battery low until battery runs out... but does that for hours on end.

Digital cameras and smartphones does the "clich" sound when you take a picture.. I mean really (well in some device, and I expect the same for smartphones, you can turn it off).

Many devices (excluding smart phones, and gaming consoles) that has a touch screen/button system, must always beeps when you press on them.

The only beep I like (well feel acceptable), is the GameCube one when you load a disk. And if you go "The GameCube never beeped when you load a game", I say: exactly. It's a tiny small beep, barely audible, you must be very close to the system to hear it.

18. AmEv

AmEv Meow meow. See yall in 2-ish years!

Other people :worried:

You should hear the buzzer on our drier. No way to stop it, either.

19. biojellywobbles

biojellywobbles Minimodder

My car (Citroen C2) is horrible for this it beeps when you open the door with your keys in the ignition, beeps when you go into reserve fuel, and beeps more and more urgently the longer the car is running if you have no seatbelt on. Drives me nuts after having come from a car with so little technology (peugeot 106 1.1).

20. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

IIRC, this is a legal requirement in some countries due to privacy laws.