1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V I need new headphones

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lp rob1, 3 Aug 2014.

1. lp rob1

lp rob1 Modder

So for the past 2 years and a bit I've been using an Asus Vulcan headset (as recommended by the CPC mag), and it's been great. However, due to near constant use every day, the thing has started to literally fall apart. I've kept it going with Superglue, but it's now reached the point where I just need to get a new one.

I had a browse through recent headset articles here on B-T, and they all seem to compare ~£80 headphones to the Asus Vulcan and commenting that they aren't quite as good. It also seems the Qpad QH-90 is highly recommended, but I'm put off by the all-white colour scheme.

I've also read in a few places that instead of a headset, dedicated headphones and a separate mic will do much better. Stuck in this conundrum, I've decided to turn to this section of the forum for a bit of advice.

I don't want to spend over £100 on a headset or headphones + mic. I also don't need the active noise cancellation of the Asus Vulcan, but some good passive noise cancellation is always appreciated. Comfort is the main thing for me - I will be wearing it nearly every day for multiple hours at a time, so ear-cooling and general comfort need to be top notch. A clear mic is also required, although I'm not too fussed about a wind shield. I'm running this through a soundcard, so no USB stuff please.

So, should I just go buy another Asus Vulcan for £80 from Scan, or the Qpad QH-90 for £80 as well, or something else entirely?

2. abezors

abezors Lurking since '08

Audio-Technica ATH-M50 are fantastic if you want closed-back (what you referred to as "passive noise cancellation"). Velour pads are your best friend for all-day comfort (usually a tenner or so off ebay). I can't comment on cooling cos I have Sennheiser open-backs.

I don't know any good standalone mics by brand but my 5 quid no-name lapel "clip on" mic is as good as clan-buddies headset mics.

lp rob1 likes this.
  3. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Had the Vulcan and the Qpad. Qpad were so good that I now have a black and a white pair. Sound quality is superb but the comfort you just cannot beat it.
    Fellow team mates say my Mic works perfect as well

lp rob1 likes this.
  4. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

I don't have any suggestions for mics either but I'm over the moon with my AKG K550s. Truly stunning closed back headphones - they are so good for £99 too - they actually won What Hi-Fi's Best home on-ears £150+ 2013. Also really very comfortable - I wore them for 7 hours two days in a row recently and I barely noticed.

lp rob1 likes this.
  5. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

I would 2nd George's AKG K550, they're excellent, although the fit can be awkward, so try and demo a pair first (I know Richer sounds stock them) as the fit directly affects the passive noise cancellation.

Similarly, the Beyerdynamic DT770 is an exceptional closed headset at your price point.

I've seen both on sale for ~£70 and £90 respectively.

No microphone recommendations though.

lp rob1 likes this.
  6. Beasteh

Beasteh What's a Dremel?

At present they're a bit more than £100, but they are a superb set of cans. Comfy, good noise isolation, detailed sound, punchy bass. What's not to like?

7. Ljs

Ljs Modder

As for mic, I can honestly say that if you have a decent soundcard it doesn't really matter what it is.

I got a cheap logitech one on a stand years ago from eBay for £1 including postage and after plugging it into a Xonar DS, my friends can hear me pissing in a room down the hall (don't worry, it is a bathroom).

I have the mic hidden behind my monitor sat on top of the stand where it joins with the monitor so don't even think about it anymore.

I'd definitely recommend getting a decent set of headphones and separate mic.

lp rob1 likes this.
  8. lp rob1

lp rob1 Modder

Thanks for all the replies guys! It's good to see that one can still buy a decent set of headphones in an affordable price range. I'm currently leaning towards the Qpad QH-90 (I found a black version on Scan for £60 compared to £80 for the white ones - odd I know) simply because it keeps everything in one place. I'm extremely happy (or at least I was before they fell apart) with my current headset, and if Kovoet's experience is anything to go by these should be even better!

9. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Trust me they are decent and would love to hear what you think about them. Enjoy them bud.

10. Telltale Boy

Telltale Boy Designated CPC Jetwhore

I'd usually recommend giving head-fi a read and getting some quality headphones and a seperate mic, however the Qpad QH-90s are a rebrand of the Takstar Pro 80s which get very good reviews from the audiophile community. It sounds like they're exactly the sort of thing you want.

11. lp rob1

lp rob1 Modder

So, having worn them for just over a day, I can say the following:

The sound tone is very different from the Asus Vulcan. I wouldn't say it's better or worse, it's just different. I also felt it was slightly too bassy so I EQ'd it a little.

The extension of the headband is smaller than that of the Asus Vulcan - it only just fits me while the Vulcan would often need to be readjusted to stop them slipping down.

Build quality seems great, apart from the flimsy inline controller (this was mentioned in a few reviews).

It's slightly too big for my Vulcan's hard travel case :(

Seems to be a decent set of headphones though!