1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics 860 single-fan?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Impatience, 30 Apr 2014.

1. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

Having given my EVGA 750Ti Cheesecake to my bro as a present (due to not being able to see past the GPU in the window.. :wallbash: Damn flat mobo configs! :hehe:) i'm looking for a single-fan GPU. I know that there are single fan 750Ti's out there.. BUT with Maxwell's power-saving, I feel that the 860 (if it's called that) could be cooled with a single fan cooler. Well, if you can passively cool a 750Ti.. Why not?

Question is, what's the chances of the 860 having single-fan coolers? Or should I just skip the wait and get a single-fan 750Ti? :confused:

2. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

Do you mean single slot?

3. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

No, like there are two main types of 750 cooler.. The short ones with one fan, and then the extended cards with the ACX coolers and the windforce ones from MSI. I was wondering if the 860 would likely be able to only have one fan, making it one if the shorter cards.. (thus allowing me to see beyond my GPU in my case)
    If you get what I'm talking about..

4. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

The one's with one fan at the back and blowing through are more often that not referred to as "reference" cards, whereas the others are "non-reference" cards. :)

Chances are, there will be reference models as NVIDIA does create the PCBs which are then sold on with each manufacturers BIOS so that it is "theirs."

5. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

6. urobulos

urobulos Minimodder

It's hard to say because the card is not out yet and we can only speculate.

Assuming the 860 will have similar or lower power draw to the 760, there will likely be a short version of the card. MSI and ASUS have both released mini-ITX versions of the 760. The same will likely apply to the 860 since historically the x70 and higher range is just too power hungry to be cooled by a small cooler. Whether you will be able to buy a mITX friendly 860 at launch is impossible to say. It's not far fetched, but I wouldn't call it very likely either. Probably we will have to wait a few months. 760 was released in late June and the ASUS 760 DirectCU Mini was out in September.

7. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

Here's hoping that it does! :) I've been reading about all the latest Steam Machine news from the various events around the world, and apparently there's some new SFX power supplies coming as well as new "ITX" GPU's.. Hopefully this'll continue onto the next gen Nvidias! :thumb: