1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Intel sees PC market growth in latest financials

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 16 Jul 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. azazel1024

azazel1024 What's a Dremel?

Yowch. That is mainful on the mobile division. That said, they have STILL yet to release the Silvermont based phone chips. I at least had the impression that Bay Trail was doing pretty well though. Though I wonder if the tablet sales of Bay Trail actually fall in to Mobile and Communications group.

3. rollo

rollo Modder

Nice revenue either way.

4. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

they cant even PAY ihv`s to take the mobile chips oO - skylake wont help , its hampered by being X86 (again)

5. rollo

rollo Modder

Still think Intel will just throw cash at the problem or take on Apple for fabspace make 3 bil or make 51mil choice would be pretty easy to me.

6. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

Apple are custom making their own 64 bit ARM apu`s - intel is very very late to this game.

and intel take on apple? you having a laugh? - hmm lets see - apple feel threatened by an aggressive strategy from intel - so next imac goes AMD (or even ARM) throwing away the multi billion contract with intel.....

7. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

I assume rollo means Intel will start fabbing for Apple on contract. Intel's essentially already announced they're willing to take contract fab work, including on their first-line fabs. If revenue stays up, though, no way in hell anyone, including Apple, will be getting any time on the 14nm lines.

And that might be where it breaks down - Apple wants the best, but won't want to pay Intel's premium for space in the best fabs. Intel is still in a position to tell Apple to stuff it. I don't see Apple eroding their own margins to get 14nm A8s or A9s fabbed.

8. rollo

rollo Modder

It all depends on tmsc and Samsung in apples case, If they still want out of Samsung then there's only so many places big enough for them. Intel been one of them, Rumours are that Apple has brought out all 20nm fabspace at TSMC already for the next Iphone and Ipad launch. As they try to remove there requirements on Samsung.

Its a long shot but in a space that is all about guesswork it could be a gamble that Intel and Apple are willing to do.

Intel needs to get there own chips in a high end device that sells in large numbers to make it worthwhile. Despite what people would like to think there is no smartphone slot open and no tablet slot open for them.

Intels chips will be to expensive for anything but the highest end of devices does not leave them a lot of choices.

At the high end smartphone there is only really one phone bringing in constant profits and as Samsung have relised with there galaxy line getting people to replace on a year to year upgrade cycle is hard.

The sg4 has sold relitively poorly compared to the sg3 hence samsungs financials not looking great.

Intel would need to offer something outstanding and cheap to get the attention of the big 2.