1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Which SSD?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by coolamasta, 27 Jun 2012.

1. coolamasta

coolamasta Folding@Home CC Captain 2010/11/12

Soon going to replace my trusty Sata II 120gb OCZ Vertex 2 (which has been flawless over last few years) with a Sata III 240/256 gb SSD but not sure whether to go with an OCZ Vertex 3 or a Crucial M4 or possibly something else? Don't want an Agility or anything lower, has to be a decent one :)

Whats peoples opinions and experience like with SSD's around 240/256 gb?

Cheeeeeers :thumb:

2. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

if you want to move away from sandforce based , then the samsung 830 is good , as is the crucial M4 , or the intel drives. as reviewed s well the vertex 4 looks promising ( as long as reliability has been sorted) but its pricier than the others....

3. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

The 256GB Samsung 830 is the bargain of the moment. £140 for the notebook kit on Scan (notebook kit just comes with a USB-SATA adaptor, still the same drive). Without a doubt the drive to buy.

4. PocketDemon

PocketDemon Modder

Yeah, for the money atm then the version of the Samsung 830 @ ~£145 is the best balance of price & performance...

Well, it's identical to the other 256GB 830's, but has less in the box... ...& you're not going to get anything comparible without spending ~£50 or so more.

5. coolamasta

coolamasta Folding@Home CC Captain 2010/11/12

Cheers guys, I have heard a few things about the new Samsung 830 drives but as they are new to the market im not sure whether to take the long-term reliability risk or not.

I know the Crucial M4 has been a very good drive using the Marvell controller and I have 2 smaller 64GB M4's in my HTPC's and been happy enough with their performance although the write speed on the 64gb isn't very good but that does not matter for a HTPC :)

As I have been very happy with the Vertex 2 so the Vertex 3 seems very appealing but on the other hand I had an Agility in something else and it failed within 4 months of having it which was replaced by OCZ but its never been that good a SSD...

Think I need to look up some reviews on the Samsung and have a think but if anyone has more advise and real world use let me know :)

6. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Right now, Samsung 830 is the daddy. Palpably faster than Crucial M4, not much more expensive. Samsung's drives are very reliable and don't use compression tech like SandForce does. I've been using an 830 for a long while in the labs with zero issues. Get One!

7. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

Won't go as far to say that it's noticeable, the difference in the real world will feel pretty close.

The Samsung 830 isn't really new to the market, you really have nothing to worry about when it comes to reliability. Homestly, go for it!