1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Toshiba unveils next-generation hybrid drives

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 6 Jan 2015.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

there is nothing typical about SSHDs having 16GB cache, its 8GB normal, 4GB on first ones, 16GB is on WD black 16GB (not available in the UK, not that i have seen)

i find it unlikely you need more then 8-16gb for Typical use as the cache is Read boost only and as most access on a normal computer is mostly read not write (the SSHD dynamic learns what parts of the HDD part is been access the most and then copies it to the SSD part so the next read comes from the SSD part not disk) with the SSHD they can do 2 reads at the same time as if the file is in the SSD but other part is not you get 2 reads (or one SSD read and HDD write)

in my case SSHD would not work that well as i do not reboot my system often (like once every 2-3 weeks) and a lot of the tasks i do would reset the cache quite often (maybe chrome will open as fast as SSD) but for home office use SSHD is a good inbetween as booting the OS does not use more then 500mb maybe another 500mb after desktop load and

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

That sentence was badly phrased, I fear: I should have written "typically up to 16GB" rather than "typically 16GB or less." I'll go edit it for clarity.

4. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

personally 8GB flash isnt getting you anything. windows takes up more space many games are 15GB +.

I would at least expect 16GB-32GB coupled with slower 5400rpm. i think 64GB would be pushing it as thats the start of dedicated SSDs then and sapce would also be an issue i guess.