1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: The Irken Armada 22/12/05

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by The_Maker, 20 Dec 2005.

1. The_Maker

The_Maker What's a Dremel?

Well, as I promised, here is the worklog for my Invader Zim Themed project I am doing for a freind as a Christmas present. Now, this is my first ever "real mod" with cutting and painting and sleeving etc. I plan to finish this project in around 5 days just in time to wrap it and put it under the tree :), the first day will be painting parts of the front panel, the second day the rest of the front panel and begin on the walls of the case, the third day finish up the walls of the case and start cutting, the fourth day install the plexiglass for the window and let it dry (24 hours :blah: ) and on the 5th day do the internal work with the UV CCFLs and the fans and sleeves etc. If I have enough time before Christmas I will try to paint the mouse, keyboard, and speakers/headphones. Kinda ambitious for my first project I know but considering the designs aren't going to be of super ultra complex shapes and such but I think he will like it :)

I am taking some of your suggestions from my previous thread and going to use some plumbing pipes for sleeves to resemble certain parts of Zims house, I also will try to put some green LEDs on the inside of the case to look like the inside of Zim's lab. Right now the *counts on fingers* 11th very thin layer of green flourescent paint is drying on the front panel of the case.

Aren't you glad I am done talking now? =P

Day One: Prepping and Painting

[​IMG]
    The case before...

[​IMG]
    His demon of the anciet world monitor... you would not believe how big and bulky that thing is.

[​IMG]
    A piece of the front panel after 8+ layers of painting
    Much to my great amusement my dumb cat got her fur on my shirt and guess where it fell off? Yeah, thats right... into the 12th layer of wet paint :wallbash:. Now once I finish the painting I will have to sand the spots where the hair fell in... Dumb Cat.

[​IMG]
    The same piece of the front panel with 15+ layers. Hurrah, its finished! Now I have the other part of the front panel to go... Yay.

[​IMG]
    Hmmm after test firing my second color of paint I find... globbyness! :(
    May be leaving it in a freezing garage while I worked for an hour and a half was a bad idea? Well, now I have to wait and let the paint warm up too room temp. Time to play Half Life!

For any disucssion, comments, or (constructive) criticism please head over to my discussion log Here.

Last edited: 23 Dec 2005
  2. The_Maker

Project: The Irken Armada

Please leave some feedback on my mod, it is my first and so far I am happy with the results.

Picture: [​IMG]

More info and pictures can be found at my project log Here
    I know most of you are thinking right now "Oh fun another newb who won't make more than 5 posts" but even if you leave just a small amount of critiscism or a comment it would help :)

I hope I posted everything in the right placs and didn't break any rules :worried:

3. The_Maker

Ok small (and quick) update.

I bought 2 cans of the purple paint (thank god) and the second one didn't glob so I have finished the front panel and now it is drying overnight. In the morning I will start work on the case.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The front + back of the case masked off and ready to go.

[​IMG]

The front panel after only 2 layers of paint and still drying

[​IMG]

Hmmm... I am getting ideas here :dremel:

[​IMG]

And I took apart one of my spare keyboards and will paint it tommorrow along with the case.

[​IMG]
    Just prove that I DO have a cat :p

4. MonkeyTurnip

MonkeyTurnip What's a Dremel?

Green paint looks good, you have given your self a very tight time line best of british to you................. oh and who is zim??

5. The_Maker

Zim FAQ
    To sum it up, its a T.V. show that is really funny (and sadly canceled) on Nickelodeon (an american cartoon station) where there is this over-zealous self-centered hyper-active 2 foot tall alien (Zim) who has caused lots of problems on his homeplanet and when he returns from being exiled (actually he "quit" being exiled but whats the difference? :p) the leaders of the planet send him on a "top secret classified mission to a planet with no name to scout it and observe its weaknesses " (Earth) and he never figures out that they are actually just trying to get rid of him. And then there is this human boy (Dib) who is the only person on the planet who knows that Zim is an alien and no one believes him so he tries to stop Zim and foil his plans to takeover Earth. Its rather hard to explain but the "recieving end" of the present really likes the theme ;)

And thank you for the encouragement :)

Last edited: 20 Dec 2005
  6. Thadeez

Thadeez What's a Dremel?

I LOOOOOVE Invader Zim. I even mailed Nickelodeon Europe and asked if they wanted to air the show in Holland... Got back a standard 3 page reply of wich i only read 3 sentences... well, got the DVD's and love em!

Are you going into detail for GIR?

7. The_Maker

I am going to put a GIR mini-action figure on the inside of the case near the window if thats what you mean ;)

I might place him somewhere else but I thought the inside would be an appropriate place for him.

8. The_Maker

Update:

Day Two: Unscrewing and More Painting
    Well after wasting a day or so with a freind :worried: I haven't gotten as much as I would like. The front panel pieces are a getting a small touch up and the gun is half-way through the painting process. I have the keyboard opened up and masked, same goes for the mouse but I currently don't have a picture of it. I was supposed to get the rest of the case painted today but that never happen either :duh:

At least I have some work done right? :(

[​IMG]

Here is the side still drying and will have its window cut tommorrow

[​IMG]

One of the two outer pieces of that gun drying after 3-4 layers of purple paint.
    Its Nerf or Nuthin :p

[​IMG]

And the keyboard mostly masked off and ready to be painted.

[​IMG]

Mmmmmm.... more ideas....

[​IMG]

And a group shot of everything that is currently drying.

[​IMG]

And for all you Zim-o-haulics out there ;)

Stay Tuned!

Oh, and for any questions, comments, ideas, or criticism head over Here to my discussion thread.

Last edited: 20 Dec 2005
  9. Thadeez

Thadeez What's a Dremel?

That's exactly what i was thinking about (can hear the "hiiiii baaaaby!!" on the background :eek: )

That's a nice looking model of the house you got there. Just an idea, why not make the front of the case, the front of the house? I mean, just cut out a silhouette from a sheet of plexiglass and draw the windows, door and details on it? :rock:

10. Mante

Mante What's a Dremel?

Dud please take out the keys before painting the keyboard :S hahaha

11. Brett89

Brett89 Minimodder

Hey, nice case, love the idea. I love Invader Zim, I had almost every episode on my comp at one point. Good luck with your case.

12. The_Maker

Too lazy :p
    That and I don't trust myself with taking apart small very fragile pieces of plastic :worried:

Thanks! :D

Interesting idea, however the front on the case is curved so putting a house design on it would be rather odd looking... and I already have some plans for some plexi in the front so don't worry ;)

13. Thadeez

Thadeez What's a Dremel?

Ah well, i'm sure it will be awesome, love the paintwork by the way :thumb:

14. The_Maker

Update:
    Day Three: Products and More Painting

Well, this day didn't go as fast as I had hoped... I have finished the keyboard and am 75% finished with the mouse painting... the gun parts and the front panel got a few more layers due to some see-through areas. The case hasn't even been started yet so I am rather upset about that. I went to the local hardware-store and picked up another can of paint in both colors and some adhesives. Hopefully by tommorrow I can get to the case then make some finishing touches. Christmas is in 3 days :worried:

[​IMG]

The mouse, in all its destr... disassembled glory ;)

[​IMG]

The keyboard after numerous layers of paint.

[​IMG]

The mouse after a few layers of paint and still drying.

[​IMG]

The box of uvccfls... *evil laugh*

[​IMG]

The uv re-active fan+grill.

[​IMG]

Go Go Bondo!

[​IMG]

And a group shot to top everything off.

Keep watching for more updates tommorrow!
    And be sure to check out my Discussion Thread if you have any questions or comments!

15. The_Maker

Thanks. I am having some problems with the uv lime green but I think its coming out ok. :)

16. vts

vts What's a Dremel?

17. The_Maker

I already have plans to make a custom wallpaer for him (I am somewhat skilled with photoshop) but thanks for the link anyway. :)

I have been looking for a good "one-eyed" irken logo for some time...
    Will have an update soon (by tonight) fellas!

Its here!

Case is finished, but I still have much to do... :sigh:

Last edited: 23 Dec 2005
  18. The_Maker

*Yawn*

Update:
    Day Five: Paint, Paint, and More Paint, and Some More Paint!​
    Well, right now I am extremely tired so please forgive any typos/obvious spelling mistakes. I will make this breif because right now I need to sleep... Been up Since 7:30, and right now its 10:20. :sigh: Today I mostly (as the title suggests) painted. I got the case done <shadow hog> Yay for you!</shadow hog> and decided to take a chance with the keyboard and took out the keys and re-spraypainted the frame. I finished the rest of the mouse and the rest of the gun pieces, and uhm.. yeah I think that's it x_x.

Finished Portions
    Paint the Case
    Paint the Side Door
    Paint the Mouse
    Paint the keyboard
    Paint and disassemble nurf gun

Unfinished Portions
    Paint Speakers
    Paint Front of Moniter
    Finish Sanding Keyboard keys of Excessive Green Paint.
    Cut Window and Install Plexi-Glass
    Re-assemble Nurf gun (and still get it to work :p )
    Install Ultra-Violet Cold Cathodes
    Sleeve Power Cables
    Make wallpaper
    Install Sound Scheme for WinXP
    Find a place to put the darn thing christmas eve :duh:
    Spray on Matt Finisher (so when you scrape your finger now on the keyboard the paint doesn't come off)
    And I think thats it...
    Oh yeah, (optionally) put in some green LEDs on the inside of the case to add to the "wow factor"

Pictures:

[​IMG]

Another shot of the case... kinda blurry.

[​IMG]

The keys being de-greenified

[​IMG]

Everything except the front panel.

[​IMG]

A blurry pic of the case while drying.

[​IMG]

The keyboard, some gun parts, and parts of the front panel after one last touch-up

[​IMG]

The case, mouse, and some more gun pieces.

Right now I am not too thrilled about how it currently looks, I had planned for it to be a lot more elxtravagent but considering I gave myself such a small time limit what can one expect? :rolleyes:
    Good Night Everybody...

19. PirateTheMeep

PirateTheMeep What's a Dremel?

Spray paint the cat?

-jeffrey

20. The_Maker

o_o

Uhm.. No, No I am not going to spray paint the cat :p
    To add to the list in the log, I still need to paint and re-assemble the disk drive and DVD drive. Cut some parts of the gun with the dremel... theres still more to be done...

The things that need to be done! They're everywhere! :worried:

Sorry, no update tonight. I will try to get you guys one by noon tommorrow :(

Last edited: 24 Dec 2005