1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Sony: Market not ready for download-only consoles

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 7 Oct 2011.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. gilljoy

gilljoy Minimodder

Steam seems to work grand for me, still quicker downloading a game of steam than waiting for it to be posted to me

3. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

I have to agree... I have 2 places, one I have 12mb access, the other is <1mb access... I usually download my steam games and install them on the <1mb house. Or I'm doomed...

Maybe in 5-10 years, and with more gb/inc we can have donwload only games, and better broadband. (that is if they are there forever, not like that THQ store thingy)

4. TheLegendJoe

TheLegendJoe Syntax error

From what I find/found sony are not ready for D/L only consoles, on a 50Mb connection (I actually get these speeds too) the PSN simply cannot keep up (either that or the PS3 has a ridiculously slow netowk interface) even over a 300Mb/s Wifi network/1Gb LAN : | it used to take me hours to download demos...

5. Teh Noob Slayer

Teh Noob Slayer What's a Dremel?

Of course Sony believes we aren't ready for 'online download only'. Their consumers also think they [Sony] aren't ready for online download only.

*cough Playstation Network data breach fiasco * cough

3lusive likes this.
  6. sandys

sandys Multimodder

PSN works great for me, maxes out my connection when wired, you must have dodgy ISP or router, no problems instantly watching films, very quick games downloads.

I still wouldn't want to download everything, what with films,tv, photos and family movies on the PS3 disc space is a bit limited. Vita will have a worse position as you are not going to fit 500Gb drive to it, so it can't really go download only.

Wireless on PS3 is pants though, very slow to download, same issue download via wireless on PSP, awfully slow.

7. Marvin-HHGTTG

Marvin-HHGTTG CTRL + SHIFT + ESC

Fair play to them, it's reasonable enough. Did like this part though:
    I can't remember the last time I spoke to an in store game-related staff member who knew anything more than when the next COD was due for release, and how "awesome" it would be.

8. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

"talking to knowledgeable store clerks"

not talking about the UK market then.

9. hrp8600

hrp8600 What's a Dremel?

The market will never be ready for download-only consoles.
    Reason secondhand sales.
    Download only = no seconhand market

10. the-beast

the-beast What's a Dremel?

For me its quicker to wait for the postie than for Steam to crawl along on my pants connection!

11. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

I only prefer physical copies because I can get them used and sell them on. Haven't bought a single new game for my ps3 yet

12. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

We will never be ready for download only, simply because of the restriction's being put in place on actually using your broadband connection for what it is intended for.

If I was to download my whole collection of games, on a 20mb cable modem from Virgin it would take me nearly a week to download it, and if I was to download it on my 100mb modem from Virgin while I could do it in 1 day, I would have to start it at 6am and leave it running until it finished I would suddenly recieve a letter for downloading to much during peak times.

I personally prefer to buy my games on a disc, because it's faster for me simply because I just go to a shop on my way to work or on the release day, if I am not working and come back home and install it whereas if I was to buy it from Steam, on release day it would take a few hour's to download and install because of the overloaded servers.

Maybe when companies update there server's and also the whole backbone of the internet is fixed in each country and each, area has access to high speed internet then yes we could go down the route of download only but I think we are about 5 or 10 years away from that yet.

13. TheLegendJoe

TheLegendJoe Syntax error

I did that on the first day I got my 50Mb Conection...

lololololol

Politely asking me to not download .5TB of data in a week? Shameee :)

14. Anneon

Anneon What's a Dremel?

Agreed to many slow spots yet. One of the biggest challenges facing hardware/software companies over the next 5 years is 10mb connections for ALL no matter where you aRe.

15. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Steam works for PC due to game stores freezing out PC games by not stocking them as well as over charging for them.
    I agree that mobile consoles aren't ready for them due to data on the go but tbh the excuse about visiting the store and trying games....that's BS. Need I rant again about those monkeys? Or the fact that its one game they're pushing like lego this or fifa that....all they have to do is produce a demo for download and offer free wifi in game stores. Would be the only place that actually would offer something like that since coffee shops locked down.
    Consoles have no excuse tho. Let valve design the market place and Make it central to how the console works. Xbox market place isn't too bad but PSN is a joke.

16. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

Well they're spot on.

Problems are UK broadband infrastructure is appalling. The absolute residential best is a 100Mbit throttled cable connection. Current max 2.5" hard drive size of 2Tb is also far too low to accommodate a decent library of games, so it'll be blu-ray for the full next generation of consoles at least!

TSB

Last edited: 7 Oct 2011
  17. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

sell via a re-usable usb stick where people can download in stores....

18. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

" The absolute private sector best is a 100Mbit "

lol you're kidding ?

19. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

Well, no!

The best I've ever had reliably was a 50Mb Virgin connection. Pulling a full HD 3D film from a remote FTP server took just over an hour at max connection speed. Even at double the speed it would take a half hour, longer than it takes to cook dinner!

Ideally, I'd like to be able to start a film transfer; put dinner on, and then sit down to dinner with my film in perfect harmony!

Given that current PS3 games are larger that the above, would you really want to sit and wait hours for your game to download? Then again, I suppose I've done that with numerous WoW re-installs.

Can you honestly tell me you wouldn't want gigabit broadband if it was cheap and the norm?

My point was though, was that it really is the very best we can get, and not at an inconsiderable cost! From previous statements I've made regarding internet in the UK, I've gleaned that even the really tech-orientated of this forum are sometimes quite simply unable to even get decent DSL speeds at home, but still pay the same as what a city-dweller would for a high-end cable broadband package.

TSB

EDIT: I suppose if they allowed pre-loading like Valve does... Then why the hell not?

Last edited: 7 Oct 2011
  20. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

...Knowledgeable store clerks?

Few and far between.

Tags: Add Tags